The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sole reason why the Canucks won't win the Cup

TheRussianRocket.

Before anyone states the obvious by saying we aren't expected to win it all, I'm well aware of that. However, in a case the Canucks make the playoffs (which they look like they will), there's a thing holding the team back from making upsets and advancing further. What is it? Player(s) with game breaking talent.

All Stanley Cup winners have had these players and to put into perspective, the Canucks don't. The Sedins were that a few years ago in their prime but they've slowed down considerably. Even then, the Sedins were never really game breakers. When you think of star players, you think Crosby, Stamkos, Giroux, etc. They have the ability to all of sudden break through and turn the dynamic of the game around in favour of their team. Twins have never had that. You think Sedins, you think of high IQ, passing, patience, set ups, and basically systematically breaking down the defense until they are caught out of position and then a goal. Never really had the ability to just skate in, and just snipe one by. That's not their style of game and as close as they were to being game breakers, they weren't. The Crosby's and Stamkos's are capable of doing that, not the Sedins so I prefer giving the Twins the title of star power but not game breakers and right now where they are in their respective careers, they've lost that title as well.

The closest thing we have to a game breaker is Miller. He's shown in numerous games he has the xfactor to stand on his head and single handedly steal a game for us. Unfortunately, he can't maintain that with our poor defense. He can only do so much before the defensive mishaps just become too overwhelming. Other than that, this team is no where close to having a game breaker and is the main reason they won't be able to win a Cup. Edler? Doubt it as he's on and off and isn't capable of just flipping a switch.

Look at all the SC winning teams and look at the players they had with game breaking ability:

13/14 Kings - Quick, Doughty, Kopitar, Carter, Gaborik, Williams.

12/13 Hawks - Kane, Toews, Keith, Hossa, Sharp, Crawford.

11/12 Kings - Quick, Doughty, Kopitar, Richards, Carter.

10/11 Bruins - Thomas, Chara, Krejci, Bergeron, Lucic, Horton.

09/10 Hawks - Kane, Toews, Keith, Hossa, Sharp, Versteeg, Byfuglien.

08/09 Pens - Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Fleury, Guerin, Gonchar.

07/08 Wings - Lidstrom, Rafalski Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzen, Kronwall.

06/07 Ducks - Pronger, Niedermayer, Selanne, Giguere, McDonald, Getzlaf, Perry

04/06 Canes - Staal, Ward, Stillman, Brind'Amour, Williams, Weight, Recchi.

The trend goes on for all the Cup Winning teams and is crystal clear. You need game breakers to win. When you're down or your team needs a spark, these are the player that break through and push you over the top. Remember 94? Yea, we had that Bure guy and he resembled that description of a game breaker (had McLean and Linden as well obviously). As long as you have these guys, you'll have a chance at winning and if you lose, it's probably because the other team had more of those guys.

Canucks don't have anyone. Miller is the closest thing but he can't do much with our poor defense. Look at the strong contending teams now and you'll see they are contenders b/c they have these types of players. Tampa has Stamkos, Hedman, Bishop, Kucherov. Habs have Price, Subban, Pacioretty. Pens, Isles, Caps, Rangers, Preds, Hawks, Blues, Kings, Ducks, ..they all have game breakers.

And what sucks most is majority the time, these game breaking players have to be drafted, developed, and groomed into the NHL. They don't grow on trees and once in a while they'll be available via trade or free agency but other than that, you have to get them independently. Canucks have some bright prospects with that ability right now so let's hope they're game can successfully transfer over someday and give us that upper hand and edge we so badly need.

I agree with you for the most part RR.

When you look at the guys who often come through for teams in the playoffs, it's the guys you wouldn't expect. Justin Williams and Alec Martinez are prime examples of this from last year's Stanley Cup run for the Kings. Brandon Saad and Andrew Shaw were the clutch performers the previous year for the Hawks.

I guess what I'm saying is that quite often in the playoffs, teams' top lines/players often play eachother to a stalemate. That leaves the door open for these unsung hero's to be the difference makers.

The Canucks problem is that their top players not only can't outplay the other teams' top players in the playoffs anymore, but they can't even play the other team's top lines/players to a stalemate anymore, leaving us with little or no chance of winning a series, let alone going deep into the playoffs.

:picard:

;)

:wub:

J.R. has often said he puts back the effort he thinks the poster he's responding has done with their own post. In this case, it's certainly not a problem with quantity, but rather quality.

Not saying I disagree with you, but I think most are well aware of all that you said.

You elaborated further on the fact that the Canucks don't have a complete top 6. At least a competitive one

Yup, basically that.

"We won't win the cup this year."

"No one was expecting we would unless something magical happened..."

"But here's why."

"We don't care since we aren't going all in this year."

"But I want to show you all this info."

"Thanks, didn't read it, already know it."

Archived