The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sole reason why the Canucks won't win the Cup

TheRussianRocket.

Just wanna ask about "game breakers"

Who scored the Penguins cup winning goals again?

Hint it wasn't Crosby

Not going to deny you're wrong at all. But at the same time aside from the Pens and Wings. Straight up every single team up there has picked the majority of their actual game breakers up via UFA or trade. Every team there has a player that was picked in the top 10 ish or an unsung draft hero.

But as Benning and Linden opted to compete themselves into mediocrity or at best a wildcard playoff spot this year, the chances of us drafting in the top 10 for a 3rd year in a row are very slim, the odds of us drafting twice in the first round (again at 24th?) even more slim. This could have/would have been the final year of a draft style rebuild (IMO only) but instead we're opting to go a route different than the one Burke and Nonis and then GMMG showed us.

Not disagreeing with you at all, but as someone pointed out the top 6 by and large play each other into a stalemate, it's the big bottom 6 role players and D that do the bulk of the game breaking and as such the canucks are in a damned fine position indeed as our bottom 6 is bar none a top 5 in this league. but our top 6 is kind of frightful really for lack of consistency

A healthy 2011 team would've obliterated the Bruins. I don't think there's much to argue against that. I think we need a couple more top six wingers and maybe one more defenceman before we can talk about contending for the Cup. I've said before we have the pieces to make those moves, it's just a matter of if Benning wants to pull the trigger.

If the Canucks come into the playoffs hot then they up their chances of advancing past the first round. The playoffs are called a "second season" for a reason.

Even though Miller's skills aren't what they once were, he can still perform very well under pressure.

No, the Canucks won't win The Cup, but if they get to the second round then that will be a successful season and if they make it to the conference finals then they will have far exceeded expectations.

The thing the canucks need the most is a number 1 Defenceman. Almost every team you listed had a 1D on their roster. I realize its not playoffs right now, but if you look at Nashville, who doesnt have an "elite" 1C, but they have a 1D in Weber and look where they are. 2nd in the league. Teams like Philly and Dallas who have legitimate 1C's but do not have a 1D are 20th and 25th in the NHL. Not having a 1D or a potential 1D will be the main reason the canucks wont win. (dont get me wrong though, a 1C is essential to winning a cup as well)

I think you're using the term 'game breaker' loosely here.

Half of the players you listed aren't game breakers, they just played really well during their cup run.

Also, the Sedins do have dynamic skill, they just lack speed now. I don't think they are the problem, although our lack of secondary scoring and depth on defence concerns me.

"Game breaking talent".

You mean like how Crosby carried the Pens in the playoffs the last couple of years? or how Toews scored so many points in 2013?

It all boils down to depth of talent, something which the Canucks lack on the second line and on defence.

As that was a rushed answer I'll give you a better one now RR. While I agree with your premise I still believe that we can compete in the playoffs (mind you I don't think very deep). Playoffs as everyone knows is all about hitting your stride and putting it all together at the right time. Having said that we still have players that can be difference makers, Kassian can hit his stride, Sedins could play well like they have in spurts, Vrbata sniping like crazy, Matthias playing huge, Miller standing on his head, Richo dominating in the faceoffs and forecheck etc.

We definitely don't have that game breaking elite player like you have suggested but we can definitely put it all together on the day. One or two elite players don't make a team, our depth could shine through at the right time.

The thing the canucks need the most is a number 1 Defenceman. Almost every team you listed had a 1D on their roster. I realize its not playoffs right now, but if you look at Nashville, who doesnt have an "elite" 1C, but they have a 1D in Weber and look where they are. 2nd in the league. Teams like Philly and Dallas who have legitimate 1C's but do not have a 1D are 20th and 25th in the NHL. Not having a 1D or a potential 1D will be the main reason the canucks wont win. (dont get me wrong though, a 1C is essential to winning a cup as well)

If I had to choose one sole reason and one reason only, this would be the biggest one I suppose. However I think we're several pieces away from the war of attrition that is the playoffs.

On paper you are right, but the game is played on the ice, with real live humans that can have off games, special games... not feel well... etc. Thats why the games are played, because anything can happen in any game or series and has lots of times.

The unknown of sports games, it's why we watch!

The End.

Before anyone states the obvious by saying we aren't expected to win it all, I'm well aware of that. However, in a case the Canucks make the playoffs (which they look like they will), there's a thing holding the team back from making upsets and advancing further. What is it? Player(s) with game breaking talent.

All Stanley Cup winners have had these players and to put into perspective, the Canucks don't. The Sedins were that a few years ago in their prime but they've slowed down considerably. Even then, the Sedins were never really game breakers. When you think of star players, you think Crosby, Stamkos, Giroux, etc. They have the ability to all of sudden break through and turn the dynamic of the game around in favour of their team. Twins have never had that. You think Sedins, you think of high IQ, passing, patience, set ups, and basically systematically breaking down the defense until they are caught out of position and then a goal. Never really had the ability to just skate in, and just snipe one by. That's not their style of game and as close as they were to being game breakers, they weren't. The Crosby's and Stamkos's are capable of doing that, not the Sedins so I prefer giving the Twins the title of star power but not game breakers and right now where they are in their respective careers, they've lost that title as well.

The closest thing we have to a game breaker is Miller. He's shown in numerous games he has the xfactor to stand on his head and single handedly steal a game for us. Unfortunately, he can't maintain that with our poor defense. He can only do so much before the defensive mishaps just become too overwhelming. Other than that, this team is no where close to having a game breaker and is the main reason they won't be able to win a Cup. Edler? Doubt it as he's on and off and isn't capable of just flipping a switch.

Look at all the SC winning teams and look at the players they had with game breaking ability:

13/14 Kings - Quick, Doughty, Kopitar, Carter, Gaborik, Williams.

12/13 Hawks - Kane, Toews, Keith, Hossa, Sharp, Crawford.

11/12 Kings - Quick, Doughty, Kopitar, Richards, Carter.

10/11 Bruins - Thomas, Chara, Krejci, Bergeron, Lucic, Horton.

09/10 Hawks - Kane, Toews, Keith, Hossa, Sharp, Versteeg, Byfuglien.

08/09 Pens - Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Fleury, Guerin, Gonchar.

07/08 Wings - Lidstrom, Rafalski Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzen, Kronwall.

06/07 Ducks - Pronger, Niedermayer, Selanne, Giguere, McDonald, Getzlaf, Perry

04/06 Canes - Staal, Ward, Stillman, Brind'Amour, Williams, Weight, Recchi.

The trend goes on for all the Cup Winning teams and is crystal clear. You need game breakers to win. When you're down or your team needs a spark, these are the player that break through and push you over the top. Remember 94? Yea, we had that Bure guy and he resembled that description of a game breaker (had McLean and Linden as well obviously). As long as you have these guys, you'll have a chance at winning and if you lose, it's probably because the other team had more of those guys.

Canucks don't have anyone. Miller is the closest thing but he can't do much with our poor defense. Look at the strong contending teams now and you'll see they are contenders b/c they have these types of players. Tampa has Stamkos, Hedman, Bishop, Kucherov. Habs have Price, Subban, Pacioretty. Pens, Isles, Caps, Rangers, Preds, Hawks, Blues, Kings, Ducks, ..they all have game breakers.

And what sucks most is majority the time, these game breaking players have to be drafted, developed, and groomed into the NHL. They don't grow on trees and once in a while they'll be available via trade or free agency but other than that, you have to get them independently. Canucks have some bright prospects with that ability right now so let's hope they're game can successfully transfer over someday and give us that upper hand and edge we so badly need.

Absolute rubbish

You never know, the team and certain players could get really hot just in time and turn into these gamebreakers. Be positive!

I get what you mean though, Canucks roll 4 lines now which is great. Only thing nicer would be to have a bonafide 2nd line or even better Sedins on the 2nd and really good 1st line. But it's going to take a little bit of time for that, only way to get the players you mention is by trade (which in itself is unlikely) or draft.

We will have to wait a few years to see how guys like Virtanen, Shinkaruk, etc. pan out - perhaps then we could have a good top 6 with the Sedins (I'm repeating myself now lol) on the 2nd line as they will still have the ability to get good numbers until they retire imo. Not 80pts+ but I still believe a 50-60pts season can happen when they get close® to retirement.

Archived