The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sole reason why the Canucks won't win the Cup

TheRussianRocket.

What OP's talking about looks more like scoring depth, and we arguably have more of that than we have in awhile. Granted it's been hot and cold, but the Kings won with similarly hot-and-cold guys in the regular season who all just seem to heat up at the right time.

Twins (with a big guy) can get it done, Vrbata's our best trigger-man, Bones and Burr are valuable complementary guys and there are solid bottom-6 foot soldiers (Richie, Higgins, Vey and Hansen are putting up points at a near-top-6 pace!). Sure they don't all score at the same time but different guys chipping in each night is better than no one getting it done. Then there's Eddie and Tan as the rock on the back end, and we still have Hammer to anchor the 2nd pairing. Miller will be solid, just hope we can shore up the D in front of him.

If we can solidify the 2nd pairing D next to Hammer (not sure about Juice honestly) and have everyone get hot during the run we will be good to go.

I find it funny how the op just focuses on one thing only: the offense. There is no such thing as a "sole" reason for anything in this league and, as soon as you start limiting your perspective to one thing (that I don't even see as being a problem since we're actually rolling with 4 lines for once) you end up missing the whole picture.

We've already proven we can beat the top teams in the league. Will those teams be tougher in the playoffs? Of course, but so can we and, if you don't believe that, then why cheer for the team in the first place?

Look at all the SC winning teams and look at the players they had with game breaking ability:

13/14 Kings - Quick, Doughty, Kopitar, Carter, Gaborik, Williams.

12/13 Hawks - Kane, Toews, Keith, Hossa, Sharp, Crawford.

11/12 Kings - Quick, Doughty, Kopitar, Richards, Carter.

10/11 Bruins - Thomas, Chara, Krejci, Bergeron, Lucic, Horton.

09/10 Hawks - Kane, Toews, Keith, Hossa, Sharp, Versteeg, Byfuglien.

08/09 Pens - Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Fleury, Guerin, Gonchar.

07/08 Wings - Lidstrom, Rafalski Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzen, Kronwall.

06/07 Ducks - Pronger, Niedermayer, Selanne, Giguere, McDonald, Getzlaf, Perry Stacked

04/06 Canes - Staal, Ward, Stillman, Brind'Amour, Williams, Weight, Recchi.

1st of all, you under estimate a lot of players.

On our cup run our game breakers were

(Despite what you seem to think)

Sedin Sedin Burrows Edler Torres Hamhuis Kesler Luongo - We were stacked. You don''t have to razzle dazzle to be a game changer like you seem to think.

2nd of all

The guys I bolded, aren't magical game changing players and are no better/worse than the Sedins.

You are on some serious Kool-Aid if you think if you think those players are all godly win cup now game changing players. Its a combination of players with chemistry, as well as getting hot at the right time. Every team has a chance to win the cup by making the play-offs. Yes some have better teams for it but every team can still do it.

Just because you typed out a long statement doesn't make you anymore right than standing in a garage makes you a car. So the 1st post was correct when they said, :picard:

The thing the canucks need the most is a number 1 Defenceman. Almost every team you listed had a 1D on their roster. I realize its not playoffs right now, but if you look at Nashville, who doesnt have an "elite" 1C, but they have a 1D in Weber and look where they are. 2nd in the league. Teams like Philly and Dallas who have legitimate 1C's but do not have a 1D are 20th and 25th in the NHL. Not having a 1D or a potential 1D will be the main reason the canucks wont win. (dont get me wrong though, a 1C is essential to winning a cup as well)

I totally agree with Hunter_74. What you need is a stud defenseman. Somebody who can log up to 30 min. a game, and control the play. That is what the most recent champions have. The only exception to your list was Carolina. But it doesn't necessarily mean that is what is needed to win the cup. You have to play as a team to win the cup. Not 1 or 3 or 5 players can do it. It has to be done as a team. You need balanced scoring (even from the defense), and great goaltending. That is the recipe for the cup imo.

I tend to agree, It just hard to fully agree.... Lets be honest, I don't think anyone can argue that we do have 'game breakers' on the team at this moment.

Odds are we won't win the cup with the core we have now. And I doubt any of you think we will, We hope... but...Doubt it.

I'm hoping Shink, Horvat, Vertanen and McCann become those 'game breakers'.

You never know what will happen but I agree I do not think we will make the second round.The way we are coached we could possibly do it, but we would need more help a couple trades before deal line to make the team better and younger guys stepping up lots!!!!!

1st of all, you under estimate a lot of players.

On our cup run our game breakers were

(Despite what you seem to think)

Sedin Sedin Burrows Edler Torres Hamhuis Kesler Luongo - We were stacked. You don''t have to razzle dazzle to be a game changer like you seem to think.

2nd of all

The guys I bolded, aren't magical game changing players and are no better/worse than the Sedins.

You are on some serious Kool-Aid if you think if you think those players are all godly win cup now game changing players. Its a combination of players with chemistry, as well as getting hot at the right time. Every team has a chance to win the cup by making the play-offs. Yes some have better teams for it but every team can still do it.

Just because you typed out a long statement doesn't make you anymore right than standing in a garage makes you a car. So the 1st post was correct when they said, :picard:

Clearly the players you bolded, you aren't evaluating at the time they won. At that time, they were game breakers. If you think otherwise, sure thing...

None of the Canucks players you listed are even close to them with exception of the Sedins at the time. Everyone else isn't even in the discussion. Lu, as great as he was was too inconsistent and if you have the guts to say you could rely on him, you're lying. I'm the biggest Lu supporter and even I know that.

I mean we have the depth for our bottom 6 but our top 2 lines are pretty concerning to rely on. We have an average first line and a low-tier 2nd line that always has an alternating winger and no real line we can say. Our depth is fine, just that we have no game breakers whatsoever in the top 6.

Similarly, on defense, 1st paring is reliable but not great (Edler-Tanev). 2nd pair is average with Hammer babysitting Bieksa and our 3rd pair is a low-tier pairing. Depth is decent.

I'm not talking 2011, I'm talking right now, and it's pretty clear we dot have these players.

2014-2015 Canucks

Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin, Vrbata, Edler, Tanev, Miller

W0t? I don't see your point. There's 3 lines on offense and 2 other d pairings on this team that are all solid.

That's why this team CAN win the cup. I just debunked your thread!

Clearly the players you bolded, you aren't evaluating at the time they won. At that time, they were game breakers. If you think otherwise, sure thing...

None of the Canucks players you listed are even close to them with exception of the Sedins at the time. Everyone else isn't even in the discussion. Lu, as great as he was was too inconsistent and if you have the guts to say you could rely on him, you're lying. I'm the biggest Lu supporter and even I know that.

You say Lu was great yet inconsistent but you chose Fleury as a game changing goalie. Fleury is the king of inconsistency... Crawford is an average goalie on a great team, everyone knows that. Stillman was not game breaking, neither was/is Sharp/Versteeg/Lucic/Franzen etc...

Those were/are just NHLers doing what NHLers do.

To say Kesler of 2009-2011 isn't comparable to Anze Kopitar is once again foolish, you realize Kesler won the Selke in 2010/2011 right? That award for best defensive forward in the NHL. Yea that one.

The Sedins won Hart/Art Ross Trophies in those years. Burrows slayed the dragon and potted 30+ at that time those players were some of the best in the league. Edler was in the talk for the Norris. Luongo got robbed of a Vezina, I could go on.

Aside from win the cup, which is a team effort not a few players, what have those players you listed done to say that the Canucks of 2011 (considered one the best teams ever iced in the modern NHL) were a sham.

Your whole argument is flawed and has more holes than a seive.

I think that even reaching the 2nd round of playoffs will exceed the expectations of many here

I didnt think we would make the playoffs so they are so far exceeding mine. Winning a playoff round is possible but not probable.

Other teams shut down the Sedins and use their depth to beat us.

Archived