The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal To fix the Defence

I am a Victoria Royals fan, I wanted the Canucks to take him at the draft as a late round pick,

But really!! a first, no way!

Benning did say he will not trade his first yesterday

Vancouver Canucks GM Jim Benning was on Vancouver’s TSN 1040 on Wednesday afternoon.

On if he highly covets his first round pick in this deep draft, or if he feels like it could be a trade chip to help the Canucks get better even this season:

“No, we’re keeping our first round pick. Part of our plan is to be competitive now and to win now, but (also) to draft well, develop well. So in the future we have good pieces to the puzzle to our team... Guys that are going to help us win. So we won’t be trading our first round pick.”

Hicketts is a great defenseman. I live in Victoria and watch him a lot. He just isn't worth a 1st. Maybe a 6th. He's just too small to make the NHL. Maybe if he was a forward we'd give him the St Louis Exception, but if Getzlaf and Perry are coming at him full speed, he wouldn't have a chance against them.

Just reiterating what everyone else said about trading for a tiny defenceman who was never drafted and has been pretty good in the WHL and at the WJC for a 1st round pick is ridiculous.

Furthermore, the title of this thread is entirely misleading. I'm baffled how acquiring ONE tiny offensive defenceman fixes the Canucks defence.

Good luck with that!

Why don't we see what we are like after Hamhuis has been back for a few games. My thoughts are that nothing is likely to happen until the off season anyway, unless something truly amazing comes along. Don't get me wrong Hicketts looks good. I am from Victoria too an have also seen him play. But he is not worth a first rounder at this point. That would essentially put him at the same level as Tanev or better and he is so not there yet.

Archived