The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Father charged as girl, 5, thrown off US bridge

PrideInThisTeam

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/murder-charge-for-dad-accused-of-throwing-girl-5-off-bridge-1.2178464

The father of a 5-year-old girl pulled his daughter from the back seat of his car and then threw her off the approach to a Florida bridge into the bay about 18 metres below, police said Thursday.

It wasn't clear why 25-year-old John Nicholas Jonchuck threw his daughter or whether she was alive at the time, though an officer who witnessed it said he "thought he heard the child scream," St. Petersburg police Chief Anthony Holloway said at a news conference.

Police records said Jonchuck was separated from Phoebe's mother and the two had a rocky relationship, with Jonchuck trying to get a restraining order against her as recently as last month. Jonchuck had custody of Phoebe and they lived with his father in Tampa.

Phoebe's mother, Michelle Kerr, said she last saw her daughter and Jonchuck on Christmas Eve. They had a nice evening together and then he called child protective services on her and made false abuse allegations, she said.

"He does the Jekyll and Hyde. It's just something that goes on in his head, he just wasn't wired right," she told The Associated Press.

And yet, Kerr said that she never imagined Jonchuck would hurt Phoebe.

"I always saw him as a good dad. She would always say, 'I love you daddy.' She loved her dad," Kerr said.

Both she and Jonchuck had several run-ins with authorities over domestic violence situations, according to documents.

On Thursday, just after midnight, police saw Jonchuck's Chrysler PT Cruiser speeding toward the Sunshine Skyway bridge at 160 kph. By the time an officer caught up with him, Jonchuck had pulled over.

Jonchuck got out and started toward the officer, who pulled his weapon. Then Jonchuck went around to the passenger side of his car and got Phoebe out from the back seat and tossed her over the railing.

Jonchuck faces first-degree murder charges. His first court hearing is scheduled for Thursday afternoon.

Jail records didn't list the name of Jonchuck's attorney.

Phoebe's body was recovered an hour and a half later about a mile from the bridge. Rescue crews tried to revive her.

After throwing his daughter, officers said Jonchuck got back in the car and led police on a chase into a neighbouring county. At one point, he turned his car around and started driving toward officers. They eventually stopped him with traffic spikes.

Well...That guy obviously has some problems in his head..RIP to the daughter.

Can I suggest a New Year's resolution?

Let's post more positive stories on CDC of humanity doing things - right. I am completely floored by all of these very sad, depressing & tragic stories....of humanity gone - wrong. Could a better counter-effort of lauding & pointing out acts of more positivity,...possibly change our world? Just musing on that....

What a betrayal - may God bring some eternal rest & peace,..to this wee & innocent angel-girl.

Unfortunately, there's often the sacrifice of an innocent victim or victims,... before the guilty/sick can be properly judged or dealt with.... so - sad.

Not a chance in hell Id pursue the guy if I thought the girl might still be alive. Take the plate # and get down there as fast as humanly possible. I probably would've shot him had I witnessed that...

Edit: article says 18m, video says 100m.. Not sure anyone could force themselves to jump 100m..

Let's post more positive stories on CDC of humanity doing things - right. I am completely floored by all of these very sad, depressing & tragic stories....of humanity gone - wrong. Could a better counter-effort of lauding & pointing out acts of more positivity,...possibly change our world? Just musing on that....

What a betrayal - may God bring some eternal rest & peace,..to this wee & innocent angel-girl. There are victims - so that the guilty/sick can be properly judged & dealt with.

unfortunately, CDC FEEDS off negativity, doesn't matter if its about the Canucks or news around us. NEGATIVE NEGATIVE NEGATIVE

Remember that heartfelt story posted on here about the dog getting customized 3d printed crutches?? It only lasted for 2 days on 1st page with >30 posts....

Meanwhile......

When reading the account of the officer following him, I thought of the incident in the states where the cop shot the guy at a gas station for reaching back into his vehicle to get his ID as requested. Yet in this case, the cop draws his gun and doesn't shoot as the guy reaches back into his car after having driven with significant speed only to stop at a bridge?

Now, there was no mention of if the cop was warning the guy of anything (stop what you're doing, etc.) and I wouldn't want any cop to rush to shoot someone without knowing what they were doing or did have a child in the way, but it certainly sounds like we could use more detail on what happened between the two at the bridge.

As far as the guy, seems a prime candidate for mental illness of some sort (the Jekyll and Hyde comment points to that) and likely had a break of some kind which unfortunately ended in the girl's death.

If this guy has some kind of mental illness, I wonder why he has custody of the little girl instead of the mother? RIP little girl. One scenario I can think of is, little girl was having a tantrum in the back of the car (depending on his relationship with the mother, maybe little girl was having fits about wanting mommy?), the crying and screaming causes his mind to snap, and he throws her off the bridge. Pretty sure everyone has had that urge of to throw that stupid toy that constantly makes annoying sounds out the window since it wouldn't shutup. *** NOT COMPARING A TOY TO THE POOR GIRL, AND DEFINITELY NOT CONDONING THE FATHER THROWING THE GIRL OFF THE BRIDGE ***

What a betrayal - may God bring some eternal rest & peace,..to this wee & innocent angel-girl.

Unfortunately, there's often the sacrifice of an innocent victim or victims,... before that the guilty/sick can be properly judged or dealt with.... so - sad.

Be the change you want in the world.

I cried when I heard this. Can you imagine the childs sheer terror? Maybe because I can relate. There's obviously no god in charge of handing out babies in this world.

Sadly an almost identical crime happened in Aust many years ago. I'm guess was his hatred/anger at his former wife, and he chose a way to hurt her the most at the expense of that poor child.

Sickening. I cant speak for anyone else but when you have kids of your own as I do (16 month old boy) these kind of stories of children being harmed hit even harder.

Whatever that guy's problem was, mental illness or whatever, I sincerely hope his punishment is harsh and immediate.

RIP little girl, your'e in heaven now.

Archived