The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver Canucks: Mid-season report card

TheRussianRocket.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/mid-season-report-card-vancouver-canucks/

It would be easy to evaluate the Vancouver Canucks at the halfway mark if only one knew which Canucks team they were evaluating. Are we looking at the Canucks that got off to a hot start, surprising everyone under new coach Willie Desjardins and new GM Jim Benning? Or are we talking about the team that has gone .500 since Dec. 2?

The good news is, Vancouver has been relatively steady through what we'd term a soft rebuild this season, and remains in a group of five or six teams vying for four playoff spots. The bad news is, there is a ton of work left, and likely another gear needed, to make the playoffs come April. So far though, so good.

Team Record: 23-12-3 (5th)

Goals for: 112 (15th)

Goals against: 100 (10th)

Power Play: 20.7% (9th)

Penalty kill: 87.5% (3rd)

Pre-season Cup odds: 33/1

Current Cup odds: 25/1

Best surprise: Tie Radim Vrbata looked like a perfect fit for the Sedins, and with a team-leading 16 goals in Vancouver's first half, he has been. And, if you thought that John Tortorella bore much of the responsibility for ruining Alex Edler last year, it turns out you were right. Edler is back to being very good.

Grade: B+

Biggest disappointment: Zack Kassian is on his third coach now, and the guy ex-GM Mike Gillis dealt Cody Hodgson away for still cant find his way into a regular role. Not sure he ever will, at this point.

Grade: With just five points in 19 games, he gets a D.

Forwards: A

strong start from this group, but like the team they've tailed off a bit as the midway point of the season approaches. Nick Bonino made people quickly forget about Ryan Kesler, with seven early goals. He's scored twice in his past 24 games now, and Bonino might be the key to the Canucks being more than a one-line team offensively.

Grade: C+

Defence: The pairing of Chris Tanev and Edler has been awesome. The drop-off after that has been considerable, however. Losing Dan Hamhuis to injury has been crippling for Kevin Bieksa's game, and like so many teams, this blue-line needs shoring up by playoff time.

Grade: B-

Goaltending: Considering the distraction that has been the goaltending position in Vancouver for the past few years, just the fact it is not a daily drama rates a high grade. But other than a tough five-game stretch, Ryan Miller has been phenomenal. The goaltending in Vancouver is just fine, thanks. Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Grade: A-

Coaching: After the debacle that was John Tortorella, a mannequin with a Sharpie would have been welcomed by the Canucks players. But Willie Desjardins is a street-smart, savvy coach who knew to include his players in the process. He's done a wonderful job, and will improve as Benning works this roster.

Grade: A

Overall: The Canucks have punched above their weight so far, and appear able to deliver on what most Canucks fans would have considered acceptable this season. A team thats fighting for a playoff spot, right down to the final week of the regular season.

Grade: Fans give an A. I give a B+

Pretty accurate piece. Along the biggest surprises, I'd consider Hansen & Dorsett part of that discussion and biggest disappointment, Bieksa should be there as well.

But by the looks of things, team has been exceeding expectations clearly thus far. B+ is a very fair grade imo and best part is, Hammer is coming back so look for things to get better.

Eventhough I agree with most of the article it is VERY weak as a "report card". It is a lame, half-assed attempt at an article by a hack of a journalist (Mark Spector).

I would think that an article claiming to be a report card on a professional sports team would evaluate each player and the coach with a grade and explanation for such a grade.

I guess you can never be surprised by something that Spector writes.

At the beginning of the season I was really hoping that our team would end up last so we could draft McDavid or one of the top prospects in this draft. But man does winning feel good. I love seeing this Canucks team prove all the doubters wrong and continue to play a strong game. I think it's great for Horvat to be raised in an environment where the players are focused on winning and competing and I really hope that next year we can bring up more prospects to come up and learn from the Sedins, Burrows, Bieksa, Hamhuis, etc.

The off season signings of Vrbata and Miller have been excellent and Linden Vey has shown that he could become one of our key offensive players in the years to come. Great pick ups by Benning and I can't wait to see what he will do in this draft.

See this is where I shrug my shoulders and just have to question why a guy like Spector gets to write these articles. Disappointments are directly related to players and personnel that you KNOW should be competing at a much higher level. Looking at Bieksa specifically and then to the top 6 where scoring has all but completely dried up in 5v5 play over the last 20 games.

Labellng players under 24 as the seasonal disappointment to date is kind of foolish when there is usually so little to expect from them except growing pains. Honestly Casual Kev gets my nod towards biggest disappointment whether it be from injury or lack of contract year or just slowing down with age. His on ice performance is by even his at times seasonal consistency issues...underwhelming.

Kassian projects upwards, Vey upwards Matthias and Dorsett upwards. Bieksa needs to at LEAST play to his ability to be less than a disappointment, which to date he really hasn't

Who has failed to meet their expectations harder than Kassian so far?

Kassian is a victim of rabid fan syndrome - I think a lot of us hoped he'd make top 6 this year, but anchoring a solid 3rd line on a playoff team is what I personally expected

Who has failed to meet their expectations harder than Kassian so far?

I really want to know. What expectations people have of a 23 year old 3rd line player who hasn't really played with quality line mates or consistent time until this year.

Can you tell me what you expect from him? 40 goals, 100 assists and 200 PIMS?

He's a 3rd liner who if you project his point totals out is about 5 points ahead of the league average for a 3rd line RW.

Not sure wtf people have to be disappointed about. I mean we could have Hodgson back and his contract and absolute lack of desire to play to his abilities if you'd like

I really want to know. What expectations people have of a 23 year old 3rd line player who hasn't really played with quality line mates or consistent time until this year.

Can you tell me what you expect from him? 40 goals, 100 assists and 200 PIMS?

He's a 3rd liner who if you project his point totals out is about 5 points ahead of the league average for a 3rd line RW.

Not sure wtf people have to be disappointed about. I mean we could have Hodgson back and his contract and absolute lack of desire to play to his abilities if you'd like

Not to mention he's been in and out of the lineup with injuries.

Kassian is about the least of my worries re: this team.

Bieska has been less than stellar, but he's playing with young guys every night and that's not his best spot to be, because it requires some extra responsibility. I know Cherry would hate to hear this, but he has been very inconsistent. Can't wait until Hammer is back and can cover for Juice again.

Sbisa. By a mile.

Sbisa? He's actually gotten better and better as the season has gone on. He's nothing spectacular now but at least now my butt doesn't clinch like it used to every time he touched the puck.

I have to go with Bieksa as the biggest disappointment. It's truly shocking how much he's regressed this season.

Archived