The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver Canucks: Mid-season report card

TheRussianRocket.

I am an old school hockey fan... But this is bringing back memories of Cam Neely... We shipped him off and a 1st for Pederson in 86.. Because we did not want to wait for him to mature.... And that Bit us in the ass...Now, Some of CDC want to cut him loose? I would personally take my chances and keep him and be wrong... then move him and be wrong.

PS.. I am not saying Kass will turn into a Neely... Just the comparisions are oddly familiar

I don't really see Vrbata as the best "surprise" so to speak. Kinda figured that was something he had to do once he got here or it would have been a bogus signing. Neither was it really a surprise that Edler refound his game, it was an expectation that he would be to original form.

Best surprise has to be the depth scoring above all

Can agree about Kassian. He's 24 now and the production we've seen from him so far is a huge dissapointment. Idc what excuses are made for him because what he is contributing offensively is simply not even close to enough.

Bieksa is right up there for dissapointmemt too. No question he brings a lot of leadership to our d-core but he has made way too many defensive errors so far this season.

Chris Higgins? He's on the second line, how many points has he had since November?

Different case because Higgins is already regarded as a ceiling player. Overall, he's not that far off from being on pace for what he had the last few years.

Kassian is generally regarded as a player who has a much higher upside but his improvement has been marginal at best. Sure, he has been injured for a quarter of the season, but aside from maybe last game, his strides have been under what fans and, what seems like, management desires.

"Disappointment" is a harsh word. It is disappointing that he's been injured. It is disappointing he hasn't been fighting harder to earn a top six role. Not the worst player on the Canucks, but it's not outlandish to say his progress has been among the most disappointing so far.

See this is where I shrug my shoulders and just have to question why a guy like Spector gets to write these articles. Disappointments are directly related to players and personnel that you KNOW should be competing at a much higher level. Looking at Bieksa specifically and then to the top 6 where scoring has all but completely dried up in 5v5 play over the last 20 games.

Labellng players under 24 as the seasonal disappointment to date is kind of foolish when there is usually so little to expect from them except growing pains. Honestly Casual Kev gets my nod towards biggest disappointment whether it be from injury or lack of contract year or just slowing down with age. His on ice performance is by even his at times seasonal consistency issues...underwhelming.

Kassian projects upwards, Vey upwards Matthias and Dorsett upwards. Bieksa needs to at LEAST play to his ability to be less than a disappointment, which to date he really hasn't

Probably listing him as the biggest disappointment to help light a fire under his butt further. I'm glad its all in the open now but I would have to agree he has under performed. I remember at the tail end of next season everyone was saying. This is Kassians year to prove himself. Then JB arrives and makes a bunch of trades and Kassian gets off the radar. I would consider Bieska to be one of the candidates for biggest disappointments. Maybe I'm just biasd. I'm trying to pull for Kassian now I have been extremely critical in the past but I want to believe he can do it. Hopefully tonight he can.

Biggest surprise: Edler finding his game

Biggest disappointment: Kassian, I agree

Forwards: Top 6: C

Bottom 6: A

Defense: B- (Bieksa has been playing bad even before Hamhuis got injured; Sbsia making a ton of defensive mistakes but has a pretty good offensive upside)

Goaltending: A

Coaching: B+ (Team is still very inconsistent. That 2nd line went far too long without scoring. This might have something to do with coaching?)

Too many men on the ice penalty: D

Overall: B

Can agree about Kassian. He's 24 now and the production we've seen from him so far is a huge dissapointment. Idc what excuses are made for him because what he is contributing offensively is simply not even close to enough.

Bieksa is right up there for dissapointmemt too. No question he brings a lot of leadership to our d-core but he has made way too many defensive errors so far this season.

I think we can all agree the one dimensional Cody Hodgson who cant score to save his life in spite of good minutes and lots of PP time is a joke compared to Kassian who does other things when he isnt scoring.

Kassian >>> Hodgson.

Happiness / Disappointment relates to expectations, grades are as compared to joe average

Vrbata, meeting expectations, maybe a little better than that, compared to the league B+,A-

Bonino, meeting expectations, sometimes exceeding, sometimes lagging B

Vey, I expected more, then I realized he was a rookie, inconsistent, but considering who he really is B

Sbisa, delivers a nice hit every now and then, wouldn't miss him if he were gone, don't make me grade this guy

Stanton, same, ugh, got a goal :)

Weber, meets expectations, bottom pairing, mostly don't complain

Bieksa, looks to be healthy, problems appear to be mental, expect too much maybe, love ya but C-

Daniel, expect more, shoot the puck

Kassian, where does one start, talent yes, character meh, D (I'd like to think he could be an A but don't get me started)

Matthias, low espectations, embracing his role, who is this guy?, as a 3rd line power forward B+

Richardson, nice job B+

Horvat, didn't expect to make the team, 19 year old on his way, >50% face offs wtf? B

Dorsett, didn't know much about him, heart and soul. as a 4th ling winger A

Happiness / Disappointment relates to expectations, grades are as compared to joe average

Vrbata, meeting expectations, maybe a little better than that, compared to the league B+,A-

Bonino, meeting expectations, sometimes exceeding, sometimes lagging B

Vey, I expected more, then I realized he was a rookie, inconsistent, but considering who he really is B

Sbisa, delivers a nice hit every now and then, wouldn't miss him if he were gone, don't make me grade this guy

Stanton, same, ugh, got a goal :)

Weber, meets expectations, bottom pairing, mostly don't complain

Bieksa, looks to be healthy, problems appear to be mental, expect too much maybe, love ya but C-

Daniel, expect more, shoot the puck

Kassian, where does one start, talent yes, character meh, D (I'd like to think he could be an A but don't get me started)

Matthias, low espectations, embracing his role, who is this guy?, as a 3rd line power forward B+

Richardson, nice job B+

Horvat, didn't expect to make the team, 19 year old on his way, >50% face offs wtf? B

Dorsett, didn't know much about him, heart and soul. as a 4th ling winger A

In the main I think you have got most of that right.

My one difference of opinion might be Sbisa. This guy hoovers up work and is bound to make a few blunders. If anything, he is a bit like KB3 and tries to do too much.

He was coming off a hideous season in Anaheim and I think all in all has been a pleasant surprise.

If Hamhuis was back I doubt he would be relied on so much. He is still only 24, that's a year younger than Tanev.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/mid-season-report-card-vancouver-canucks/

Pretty accurate piece. Along the biggest surprises, I'd consider Hansen & Dorsett part of that discussion and biggest disappointment, Bieksa should be there as well.

But by the looks of things, team has been exceeding expectations clearly thus far. B+ is a very fair grade imo and best part is, Hammer is coming back so look for things to get better.

I agree with Sportsnet instead of those that are just blaming Juice for every game like he's some sort of scapegoat.

I think we can all agree the one dimensional Cody Hodgson who cant score to save his life in spite of good minutes and lots of PP time is a joke compared to Kassian who does other things when he isnt scoring.

Kassian >>> Hodgson.

Three points for you,

1. Hodgson isn't playing for the Canucks.

2. Kass has been a disappointment for the Canucks.

3. Cody has been a disappointment for The sabers.

I could care less about Cody's development and it's unrelated to the product we are icing, kass's development is key to the product we ice.

Understand?

Biggest surprise - our fourth line!

I thought Dorsett was done. Too many injuries and a horrible season in New York, but he has been awesome. Reminds me a bit of Cooke in terms of the way he plays (skill/intensity), but obviously much tougher.

Bo Horvat made the team, and fills the 4th line centre role remarkably. Playing solid two way hockey, showing strength, winning faceoffs.

Hansen is on pace for 20 goals. Enough said.

Our best fourth line that I can remember - Cooke / Chubarov / Letowski. The Dorsett / Horvat / Hansen line is eerily similar but even better IMO. Our fourth line has sucked for so many years.

I concur with the report card for the most part.If management an coaching can continue to tweak massage an get the second line going things may get interesting down the stretch ,I suspect though the third line may again be the key to balance scoring a few players are struggling right now an hopefully they can break out soon.The D has some issues injury an maybe lacking a top 3 pmd otherwise .coaching is tweaking every bit of mileage out this blueline group.Goal tending has been just outstanding an can only get better if thats possible .I now believe we can make the playoffs with coaching an player personnal but wonder about our depth issues as to how far we might venture in the west.I was hopeful for improvement this start of season with some player changes .The transition game is not apparent but suspect we have some left in tank to compete .I have been waiting since 1970 for our team to end the drought for a cup so my cup is always half full an goes from there

Archived