The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chris Higgins...

Staal2Staal

We are not trying to trade Kassian we are getting offers on him. I am willing to let him go if we get a better option such as nino.

dude, me and you are on like a whole other level

I also hate when people think trading somebody is "giving up on somebody" ....

Its not about doing favors. Its about reality. I just don't think the recipe is right for him to become what he can be here. He has all the tools, but I just doing think it will happen in Vancouver. If I can send him in a package for Nino or Eriksson or another more vancouver appropriate 2nd line player then I would.

The only way I see him staying is if we decided we didn't want to contend in the next 3 years and blew up the team. Send Hansen, Higgins, Matthias, Richardson, Dorsett, Burrows off for picks.

Make the 2nd line

Jensen - Vey - Kassian or Jensen - Bonino - Kassian

give them 18 mins a night sunshine or rain.

That may be the better long term solution. I don't know...This isn't something a GM would likely get away with in this market.

I don't think you're looking too far into the future and are basing your calls on the now. In the future Horvat will develop into a top-6 who can play the minutes you're looking for and Kassian will be along for the ride then. Horvat's skating is getting better by the day, so this is entirely plausible.

I don't see the Wild trading Nino for him. That makes no sense as he's the same player type, but better. And Eriksson isn't happening either. We need to get younger and stronger, not older and softer. This team doesn't hit at all anymore in games it's so soft.

The rebuilding process requires us to ship off vets to playoff contenders when they demand it. Young, signed players will then take their spots. So this 'Kassian has no future here' holds no water.

We are not going to win the cup so I don't see why Higgins and done vets are taking minutes from youth- why have waited sibling to play Corrado? Does it make any sense to play weber ahead of him?

Higgins ahead of Kass and Vey? WTF

More minutes for Horvat, give him some PP time in 2nd unit, some offensive opportunity.

MG originally brought in Higgens to play on the third line. Most of last season he was on the second line just like this year. I see him playing above his purpose mainly because there's no one else ready to step up. Kassian has earned nothing in my eyes.

Once again the waves of panic flow through the forums. Linden and co see the same things we do and more. Higgens is yet another player MG signed to a NTC. I'm sure JB would move him given the right return but we should all realize by now it's not that easy.

Last years January slump that keeps getting brought up is moot.That's last season with a different cast on and off the ice. I expect JB to load up on draft picks before the trade dead line meaning some more dead wood will be removed from the group.

Having great expectations for this team during the up coming play offs is fantasy. Sure we want them to do well, who doesn't, the reality of things is what we're seeing. Higgens is just a system of a rapidly aging core.

Not only has Higgens looked useless so have favorites like Bieksa. He's lost a step and there's no attitude push that will bring it back.

This season and next in my eyes are transitional seasons. Ridding this team of NTC players is the challenge at hand.

Young players have room to grow and improve, players like Higgens have peaked, lost a step and are simply trying to maintain the mojo they once had. Management knows it we the fan have to accept it.

This isn't microwave instant.

We are not going to win the cup so I don't see why Higgins and done vets are taking minutes from youth- why have waited sibling to play Corrado? Does it make any sense to play weber ahead of him?

More minutes for Horvat, give him some PP time in 2nd unit, some offensive opportunity.

You don't get it. Sadly Higgens is ahead of Vey and Kassian.

Despite some lackluster performances of late, the Canucks are still in the hunt and have a good chance at making the playoffs. Vey cannot handle playing any more than he already is as he is poor defensively and needs a ton of work on his game. Kassian has done nothing to garner any sort of promotion. The talent is there but my god his heart isn't in it and I'm beginning to wonder if he actually gives a sh*t anymore. Horvat is playing the perfect amount in the perfect position. He's improving at a perfect rate and by seasons end I can assure you he will be thrust into a more important role.

I think the reason why our top 6 is rather inconsistent is age.

Other than Bonino, everyone on our top 6 is over 31. We need to infuse our lines with youth. I hope Jensen makes the team before the end of the season. We need more players with a shoot-first mentality and Jensen brings that as well as his size by creating room and actually doing something with the puck.

If Kassian can prove that he is rather top 6 material, then put em up. Otherwise, we are going to be in for another year of boring, uninterested, stale (torts couldn't have said it any better) hockey.

Sedin/Sedin/Jensen

Vrbata/Bonino/Kassian.

i disagree, higgins isn't scoring but no one on that line is....i love higgy and would rather keep him with bonino ...i can see the whole line sliding down a spot or to, when they are not producing...we really don't have a second line....just 3 third lines....kassian has shown flashes of consistency but he has done that before and then fallen off the edge of the world...let's wait and see...i don't see higgins dragging that line down...they need a bonified scorer on that line...we don't have one right now...i don't know if jensen's that guy or if virtanen is the right guy....i think willie know what he is doing....

Joe, flashes of consistency is not consistency. It's just the opposite.

I'm fine with having one of Burrows or Higgins on that line, but the problem is using them both of them on the 2nd line.

So far, the revised top 6 hasn't done anything, although that could change still. It might be time to try Matthias or Kassian up on the 2nd line with Vrbata returning to the 1st line and Higgins or Burrows dropping down.

Also, stop melting down so bad. The loss to the Flames counted, but 36 shots is a ridiculous amount of shots not to go in, their goalie went hard. You guys are still in a favorable postition to be in the playoffs based on games played, current points, and even trends. The Sedins are bouncing back and are close to 75 points on the year projected. Bonino is 23, and some people are saying he doesn't have long to develop. Those same people want to tank. Do you know how long it takes to tank and MAYBE benefit from it? Look at Edmonton.

...Stop yelling at me! I'll do better next time!

Considering the recent history of 2nd liner Lwingers on the Canucks, I think Higgins is decent.

Even though the Canucks had the best years with Raymond. I like Higgins more than Raymond for more $ or Booth for less $.

But I do understand that since Daniel is scoring less, a more offensive LW between Daniel and Higgins is probably needed. I hope it's Shinkaruk.

Higgins is on the top-6 because he's defensively responsible. He may be playing hurt though, and so may Bonino. You don't vanish for a month, production-wise, without something being drastically wrong.

I don't envy our second line, because they're being a bit overused against better competition. But at least they have good underlyiiiiinggg numbeerrrrrrrssssss.

Sedins aren't the problem per se, but 35 goals combined in a season for around 20% of the cap is fairly inefficient. We're going to need to replace them. Best way to do that is through the draft, which is how we got them in the first place.

Thx Ban, you make more sense than most.

A smart and patient GM makes moves when he can get the most for a player. It's all about timing. 'Blowing the team up' and trading a bunch of players for 'picks' is a desperate and dumb action. Even worse, is throwing a bunch of rookies into a situation where they will likely fail. I feel really sorry for all those young prospects that have been rushed through the Oiler development program.

The guys that people keep naming in trade ideas are the same guys that are keeping the team afloat during this transition period. They are also the kind of players that are good to have around when the prospects (who usually have lapses in their defense) start joining the team. If Edm had some vets like Higgs, Burr, Hansen, Richardson, etc., they would be a much better team right now and probably a lot sooner.

People need to relax. This is not a contending team; not even close. Obviously the team will need to shed some of the vets over the next couple of years, but we need to give JB time to make the best trades possible and to choose the right players at the upcoming drafts.

i'm more concerned about our team in our own zone...a few more heavy body hits would allow us to get the puck and move it out.
watching the juniors, they always finish their checks and don't rely on stick checks...only willie mitchell can do that...we also suck in the face off circle....management knows that but finding those guys without giving up the future isn't easy...i believe it will take benning and company a couple more years to get this team to be back as threats to win the cup...
people can't seem to wait and after every loss, want changes....benning has said if a deal that made sense came along, he would do it....and the sedins will finish their present contracts in vancouver...they may retire when it is done, but would agree to a trade...i don't think edler or miller will either...i could see they talking bieksa, higgins, burrows and hansen into it...next year...

Archived