The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chris Higgins...

Staal2Staal

Does anyone know how long Pearsons is out for LA? I could really see Higgy ending up in LA on their 3rd line. I think he would compliment them well. If Higgy is dealt what other teams do you think of contenders would be interested in him? STL perhaps?

Higgins is a good player but the problem is he does not drive the play. He does not make our team dangerous to play against and doesn't take up any thought or concern from the other team. He may produce somewhat acceptable numbers but this team desperately needs another answer there.

Does anyone know how long Pearsons is out for LA? I could really see Higgy ending up in LA on their 3rd line. I think he would compliment them well. If Higgy is dealt what other teams do you think of contenders would be interested in him? STL perhaps?

I think any cup contender that has cap space could use some Chris Higgins for their bottom 6.

• 4 weeks later...

Needs to be benched or traded. Hansen is another guy I would look at trading or benching. He was a turnover machine tonight.

I don't think one game warrants benching but consistently being bad like Kassian was does. He is second last in plus/minus on the team, fist among forwards and only 6 points on the whole season.

Higgins is a very hard worker. He is solid on D.

I find that when he gets into a slump he becomes very hesitant to shoot. Then at some point the coach tells him to do so, and it takes a few games worth of a lot of shots to score.

However I no longer see him as a 40/50 point guy. I think those points were the result of big minutes on bad teams. Teams that could afford patience.

For all of his 2-way play he just gets into massive slumps. Top 6 guys need consistency. I think we could get a decent trade out of him. There are lots of teams out there who need a defensively responsible vet that can kill penalties

20 points a great pker and a great defensive forward for 2.5 million

you people need to run into the nearest wall fast and hard head first

Great in a checking role, not on a 2nd line that lacks offensive punch.

Same story every year. Fill your 3rd line with Higgins', depth scoring will fade in the playoffs. Fill your 2nd line w/ Higgins', you won't make the playoffs.

And Higgy shouldn't be faulted for this. The team definitely needs a 2nd line scoring winger, so that Higgy can play on the 3rd line. Too bad that Jensen is ready to step up.

If the team doesn't look like they'll make the playoffs, I suspect a couple of vets will be traded by the deadline.

Higgins and Bonino are facing the strongest quality of competition among Canuck forwards - and along with Richardson have the lowest ozone starts.

They're playing the hardest minutes - essentially shutdown minutes - and you folks are expecting them to produce like top 6 at the same time.

This is the case imo so that the team can absorb a couple rookies like Horvat and Vey in the lineup, in the bottom six for the most part.

So looking at this in a reductive way and concluding _ 'hey Higgins is on the second line and he's not producing enough' is a bit simplistic. Do we wish Higgins was having more luck and production offensively - of course. Is it right to be busting his jewels over it - no. It's not. Not when you look at his role, his cap hit, and put things in context.

oldnews;

The number of ozone starts the 1st line gets is pretty revealing. Higgins is pretty snake bit as he is getting chances. That said if the level of production on the top 6 is not carrying the team then one has to question the process. Canuck fans have to be happy with the development of both Vey and Horvat.

Moving Vrbata back on the 2nd looked very good. IMHO Burrows is still the most versatile forward on the team and a valuable mentor. Because of the draft year and the prospect depth Benning should be a seller going into the deadline. Again some but not all +30 years old players should be moved.

Archived