The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chris Higgins...

Staal2Staal

2012-2013 4gp -2 in playoffs

2011-2012 -5 gp -3 in playoffs.

Look, If Higgins can get us a fair value at the deadline, eg a 2nd or 3rd rounder we should definitely look at moving him because he's not going to be a game breaker for us in the playoffs. Besides, I don't believe this team will win the cup this year, so lets grab some draft picks with the stale core before it's too late.

And Higgy shouldn't be faulted for this. The team definitely needs a 2nd line scoring winger, so that Higgy can play on the 3rd line. Too bad that Jensen is ready to step up.

If the team doesn't look like they'll make the playoffs, I suspect a couple of vets will be traded by the deadline.

Fully agree with this. He's a very good 3rd liner who averages .5 ppg at a 2.5 mil cap hit. Not a lot to complain about really.

Higgins is 6th in team scoring, and has logged a ton of ice, good for 5th on the team. He's also plus-6. If not for the struggles of his centreman, Bonino, he'd probablt have slightly better numbers, but Higgins is a 15-18G, 35-40 point guy that does everything, plays everywhere, and stays fairly healthy. Coaches love guys like that. You want rookie Nicklas Jensen playing with the Sedins because he had 4 good games with Henrik last year? The Sedins will be retired before Jensen scores 20 goals in the NHL. There's a reason WD is an NHL coach and you're not.

Higgins hasn't been playing the best lately, but he's a 3rd line player. He's ALWAYS been a third line player, even though year after year coaches try to bump him to the 2nd. And if he's playing like he has lately, he should be a 4th line player. Like any player, they need to be moved up and down the lineup if they are performing above their means, or below their capability. His contract of 2.5m per is not unreasonable provided his USUAL production. And let's face it, there are plenty of players on our team performing below what their contract would indicate right now.

He's simply not a 2nd line player. He's inconsistent, but generally tries hard and is a good all-around player... just not one with high end skill. As long as everyone understands what he is and is not, I don't see any reason why he would be considered trade bait unless it's due to the fact he is one of the few players that could be packaged along with, say, Kassian to try to gain a respectable return.

WE NEED A 2ND LINE WINGER

Not sure what your post means... Are you saying that we need a 2nd line winger and insinuating Higgins is him? If that's what you are trying to get across, then I feel bad for you. We need more than a 2nd line winger... The Sedins and Vrbata are our 2nd line... We need a 1st line centre? 2 1st line wingers? 2 top 4 D, one of which can move the puck and quarterback the PP.

HOGGINS is not a 2nd line winger... HOGGINS is AHL 2nd line material now

Not sure what your post means... Are you saying that we need a 2nd line winger and insinuating Higgins is him? If that's what you are trying to get across, then I feel bad for you. We need more than a 2nd line winger... The Sedins and Vrbata are our 2nd line... We need a 1st line centre? 2 1st line wingers? 2 top 4 D, one of which can move the puck and quarterback the PP.

HOGGINS is not a 2nd line winger... HOGGINS is AHL 2nd line material now

I didn't know we had a player named Hoggins.

If you mean Higgins, since he's not the scorer he once was, he might well be 2nd line if on an AHL team right now. He's also a capable 3rd line checking winger in the NHL.

• 3 months later...

Higgins - Horvat - Hansen, Triple H line I envision for this season, yet not many people are mentioning his name on the team for 2015-16, I think he will work the 3rd line with Bo

Prefer him on the 4th (or traded).

Hansen, Horvat, Burrows/Kassian

Higgins, Richardson/UFA, Dorsett

I didn't know we had a player named Hoggins.

If you mean Higgins, since he's not the scorer he once was, he might well be 2nd line if on an AHL team right now. He's also a capable 3rd line checking winger in the NHL.

Surely you remember Hoggins!? The guy is a real puck hig...

regards,

G.

Contrary to what others think, I'm fairly certain Hansen and Higgins should be staples on our roster, in the bottom six. Our prospects need to start filling out our top six to let the stop gaps actually play their role for the first time in four years.

Archived