The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chris Higgins...

Staal2Staal

Against Calgary Horvat was setting up Higgins like Kassian was setting up Richardson the year before... with the same results. Skilled guys need to play with other skilled guys, and role players like Higgins and Hanson need to be in the bottom 6. Gaunce is starting to round out into Higgins' replacement -- good worker, solid on the boards, sound checker and PKer, team guy -- so if he's not gone this summer it should be his last season with the club.

Higgins and Hansen are both the favorite target of the retard fan who knows nothing about salary cap and the value of bargain players who can rise above their own ability when it counts.

????

I really like Hansen, but Higgins seems to disappear when it counts. At one point he was 12th in LW scoring, yet again went ice cold throughout most of the second half and playoffs. We want young players developing and older players producing. Higgins is in a weird in-between, where he doesn't produce enough in the top 6 yet takes away a roster spot from a young developing player.

Higgins has 1 goal 1 assist in his last 15 playoff games. Unacceptable for a "2nd line" player. In fact, he should be able to step it up a notch given the Sedins receive all of the attention from high level checkers .

????

I really like Hansen, but Higgins seems to disappear when it counts. At one point he was 12th in LW scoring, yet again went ice cold throughout most of the second half and playoffs. We want young players developing and older players producing. Higgins is in a weird in-between, where he doesn't produce enough in the top 6 yet takes away a roster spot from a young developing player.

Higgins has 1 goal 1 assist in his last 15 playoff games. Unacceptable for a "2nd line" player. In fact, he should be able to step it up a notch given the Sedins receive all of the attention from high level checkers .

Spots are earned, not given.

Who are you going to replace Higgins' role, when training camp rolls around? Virtanen? Greiner? Gaunce?

None of those guys are proven at this level.

Not sure what your post means... Are you saying that we need a 2nd line winger and insinuating Higgins is him? If that's what you are trying to get across, then I feel bad for you. We need more than a 2nd line winger... The Sedins and Vrbata are our 2nd line... We need a 1st line centre? 2 1st line wingers? 2 top 4 D, one of which can move the puck and quarterback the PP.

HOGGINS is not a 2nd line winger... HOGGINS is AHL 2nd line material now

Find me a team with two 70+ point players on their second line. :picard:

Who is Hoggins? :lol:

????

Higgins isn't a "2nd line" player but he was the best we had right now. I don't think if you remember but In preseason Kassian was given first shot at that spot but played himself off the second line. Jensen was just bad and definitely not ready. The fact is Higgins was on the second line because our developing young players were ready.

Higgins won't start next season in Vancouver.

i hope your wrong...love higgy and his contract...willie had him on the second line because he trusts him..

kassian in comparison is not trust worthy defensively and doesn't always play the way he has to play to stay in the nhl...i see higgy being here another year until virtanen is ready to push him out..virtanen has speed, physical and scoring abilities that higgins doesn't have, but has to learn to put them together, along with defensive responsibilities. a year in uttica would really help him...willie has the right idea..

It's true, none of our prospects are quite ready to push Higgy out of the lineup.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Baertschi-Bonino- Vrbata

Higgy - Horvat - Hansen

Kenins- Vey - Kassian

Switch Hansen and Kassian and put Gaunce at Vey's place to my opinion.

Higgins would be an outstanding 3rd line LW, if we had a decent 2nd line LW.

Hopefully Baertschi will play well enough to push him down next year. I'd actually like to see Baer - Horvat - Vrbata.

Bonino and Higgins will still get lots of minutes on the PK.

Also - just wanted to add that Higgins is a far superior player to Matthias.

So for all those saying we should trade Higgins and then re-sign Matthias at equal-or-higher cap hit, I thoroughly disagree.

It's true, none of our prospects are quite ready to push Higgy out of the lineup.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Baertschi-Bonino- Vrbata

Higgy - Horvat - Hansen

Kenins- Vey - Kassian

Sedin, Sedin, Burr/Kass

Baer, Bonino, Vrbata

Hansen, Horvat, Kass/Burr

Higgins/Kenins/Gaunce/Grenier, Richardson/UFA/Prospect, Dorsett

While I'd imagine we keep Higgins in that 4LW role, at least until the deadline, we most certainly do have guys who could take his spot.

So for all those saying we should trade Higgins and then re-sign Matthias at equal-or-higher cap hit, I thoroughly disagree.

No kidding!

Higgins would be an outstanding 3rd line LW, if we had a decent 2nd line LW.

Hopefully Baertschi will play well enough to push him down next year. I'd actually like to see Baer - Horvat - Vrbata.

Bonino and Higgins will still get lots of minutes on the PK.

D-Money is of course right that Higgins is much better than Matthias, and that Higgins is a natural 3rd-liner. He is not really adequate as 2LW on a contending team, however. Still, a 2.5 million caphit for a good 3rd liner is pretty good value.

Agree that it is not obvious that any of the Canuck young guys can replace Higgy yet, but it is getting close. At his age (32) he is not getting any better and is likely to exhibit some age-related decline. And his physical game has already tapered off. He used to contribute significantly to the physical game.

But some of the young guys might be close. Baertschi will of course be on the Canucks next year and I would expect him to pass Higgins on the depth chart. (Benning recently said he wasn't sure whether Baertschi would be 2LW or 3LW. -- which is a pretty strong endorsement given how cautious Benning normally is in projecting young players.)

Gaunce is an interesting possibility. And the Canucks have a logjam on the right side with Burrows, Vrbata, Hansen, Dorsett, Virtanen, Kassian, Grenier, and Vey all in the mix. One of two of those guys could move to the left side (like Burrows and Dorsett). And maybe we should not write of Jensen yet.

All this makes Higgy a reasonable trade target as he would be worth something in the market (at least a second round pick).

D-Money is of course right that Higgins is much better than Matthias, and that Higgins is a natural 3rd-liner. He is not really adequate as 2LW on a contending team, however. Still, a 2.5 million caphit for a good 3rd liner is pretty good value.

Agree that it is not obvious that any of the Canuck young guys can replace Higgy yet, but it is getting close. At his age (32) he is not getting any better and is likely to exhibit some age-related decline. And his physical game has already tapered off. He used to contribute significantly to the physical game.

But some of the young guys might be close. Baertschi will of course be on the Canucks next year and I would expect him to pass Higgins on the depth chart. (Benning recently said he wasn't sure whether Baertschi would be 2LW or 3LW. -- which is a pretty strong endorsement given how cautious Benning normally is in projecting young players.)

Gaunce is an interesting possibility. And the Canucks have a logjam on the right side with Burrows, Vrbata, Hansen, Dorsett, Virtanen, Kassian, Grenier, and Vey all in the mix. One of two of those guys could move to the left side (like Burrows and Dorsett). And maybe we should not write of Jensen yet.

All this makes Higgy a reasonable trade target as he would be worth something in the market (at least a second round pick).

If Higgins can bring in a 2nd round pick, then that's an option JB should consider.

But if it's just tablescraps (i.e. late 3rd...or later), it's not worth it. He brings too much to the table on the defensive side. Especially if Richardson is leaving.

Archived