The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2015 Canucks Draft Talk

Horvat

Mikko Rantanen.

Either our season goes down the toilet or a team is foolish enough to trade their high first round pick in one of the deepest drafts in a long, long time.

Anyone know much about Mitchell Vande Sompel? Looks like he's putting up good points as a defencemen in the ohl

Your "typical" undersized, high hockey-IQ, offensive defenseman. I've only seen him play in the Super Series but I was impressed by how well he played defensively. Smart player for sure. He's a small defenseman (5'10) which is going to keep him out of the first round. Right now I think he'll either be a late 2nd round or 3rd round selection.

Outside of somehow landing someone like Mitch Marner (who I think is establishing himself as a lock to go in the top 5-7, if he hasn't already) Provorov is the player I want the most.

As someone else said, his hockey IQ & poise are on another level, he makes things t happen offensively, looks flawless defensively, always makes the right play with the puck, he's Tanev like as far as poise, never panicks.

I think at this point he is also trending upward towards being a top 10 pick. I still don't think we will pick that high, I'm thinking somewhere closer to 15, so I'm not sure if he will be available but he's one of the guys I would like us to get the most.

Barzal would also be a nice pick though, he's certainly got the tools & potential to one day develop into a #1C which we could certainly use.

Well Barzal has the tools to be a first line center. Better chance than Harkins, but I could see us taking Harkins. That was my guess form the beginning of the year. IF Barzal is available I think we have to take him as the BPA.

Great just what we need, another two-way center.

Outside of somehow landing someone like Mitch Marner (who I think is establishing himself as a lock to go in the top 5-7, if he hasn't already) Provorov is the player I want the most.

As someone else said, his hockey IQ & poise are on another level, he makes things t happen offensively, looks flawless defensively, always makes the right play with the puck, he's Tanev like as far as poise, never panicks.

I think at this point he is also trending upward towards being a top 10 pick. I still don't think we will pick that high, I'm thinking somewhere closer to 15, so I'm not sure if he will be available but he's one of the guys I would like us to get the most.

Barzal would also be a nice pick though, he's certainly got the tools & potential to one day develop into a #1C which we could certainly use.

I know what you're saying with the 2 way centre business, but surely others will be converted to wing. Local kid, high pick in the WHL just like Virtanen, second overall I believe. Captain material, safe pick to be an NHL player one day. We have a lot of these types of players, he's essential the WHL version of Brendan Gaunce a few years later, but He gives us the ability to move another piece later if we can get a more developed D prospect.

oh...me thinks we are going to be sinking lower than that our core is trying but their rust is showing and they will see it for sure tonite against Nashville.

If we are sniffing around a high pick again, Im all over Strome. Especially when ISS has him falling to #7. Playing in McDavids shadow he is NOT. He puts up his own points without him and proves it when McDavid was gone to WJC duty. Instant future replacement for Henrik

After WJs, rankings have changed dramatically- down - kylington, Barzal, up- werenski, Ratanen!

Look at iss - lots if changes, Andersson still not in top 30

We Need to move vets for firsts in this draft!

Vrabat

Bieksa

Each could get a mid first on a playoff bubble team, lack + could get a late first

Sign Franson in off season

Kinda off topic but if I had the 1st overall I wouldn't pick mcdavid

Everyone of his goals is Deking the defense and Deking the goalie for a tap in

Or a wrap around

Those goals don't translate to the nhl

I've yet to see him take a decent shot from far out and pick a corner

He's going to get owned in the nhl especially because of his size and his name

It's amazing what Crosby does on a game to game basis considering how people are all over him

I hope Edmonton picks him cuz it's exactly the type of player they don't need

What about Jonas Siegenthaler in the 2nd round. Already has the size, playing in Switzerland's top tier National League A against men. Watched him during the world juniors and was one of the few standouts in my eyes for team Swiss. Anybody know more about him?

Kinda off topic but if I had the 1st overall I wouldn't pick mcdavid

Everyone of his goals is Deking the defense and Deking the goalie for a tap in

Or a wrap around

Those goals don't translate to the nhl

I've yet to see him take a decent shot from far out and pick a corner

He's going to get owned in the nhl especially because of his size and his name

It's amazing what Crosby does on a game to game basis considering how people are all over him

I hope Edmonton picks him cuz it's exactly the type of player they don't need

53+ points in 18 games....ya thats a fluke too huh?

What about Jonas Siegenthaler in the 2nd round. Already has the size, playing in Switzerland's top tier National League A against men. Watched him during the world juniors and was one of the few standouts in my eyes for team Swiss. Anybody know more about him?

Not saying he's a bad prospect by any means, because he's actually a good one, but Virtanen made a pylon out of him in the exhibition game against the Swiss. However, it was more of Virtanen just scoring a sick power forward type of goal than bad defending on Siegenthaler's part.

I've said it a million times and I'll say it again: Getting another first round pick (very likely a late-first if it happens) or early second (31-35) determines how I want the team to draft.

Or a late first,
Vrabata
Bieksa
A goalie trade could each get u a late first and more

Trading Vrbata is something I've been a proponent of all year. He has been fantastic for us but he is likely not sticking around past his contract and, if we can really bolster our prospect pool, I'd trade him to a contending team in a heartbeat. He doesn't have a ton of playoff success, with regards to production, but he's a veteran right-shot and is an established goal-scorer.

Bieksa won't get us anything. 1) He won't waive and 2) He has been pretty awful since the end of the 2011-12 season. A team that doesn't spend to the cap might want him for his gritty-style in his final year (2015-16) since his salary is only $2.5 million. The cap hit ($4.6 mil) is going to be a turnoff for teams closer to the cap, of course.

Actually, goalie returns tend to be pretty awful. You'd need to package something to get that to work out. That being said, Buffalo has 3 first found picks(!!!) and if they want some immediate help, Lack would probably fetch us the most. Unless they feel really strongly about Markstrom.

I've said it a million times and I'll say it again: Getting another first round pick (very likely a late-first if it happens) or early second (31-35) determines how I want the team to draft.

Trading Vrbata is something I've been a proponent of all year. He has been fantastic for us but he is likely not sticking around past his contract and, if we can really bolster our prospect pool, I'd trade him to a contending team in a heartbeat. He doesn't have a ton of playoff success, with regards to production, but he's a veteran right-shot and is an established goal-scorer.

Bieksa won't get us anything. 1) He won't waive and 2) He has been pretty awful since the end of the 2011-12 season. A team that doesn't spend to the cap might want him for his gritty-style in his final year (2015-16) since his salary is only $2.5 million. The cap hit ($4.6 mil) is going to be a turnoff for teams closer to the cap, of course.

Actually, goalie returns tend to be pretty awful. You'd need to package something to get that to work out. That being said, Buffalo has 3 first found picks(!!!) and if they want some immediate help, Lack would probably fetch us the most. Unless they feel really strongly about Markstrom.

I was hoping something like Lack,Gaunce, 3rd 2016 for their 3rd first round pick, so whichever is closest to 30

I think it's time to draft a European. We have the two-way guys in Horvat, Gaunce, Cassels, McCann and the gritty skilled guys in Virtanen, Shinkaruk (not too gritty), Jensen.

A guy like Rantanen reminds me of Teravainen except not as soft. He has great hands and playmaking ability, smart and really cerebral in his attack. He's playing Liiga full-time I believe which is better competition than what the CHL or NCAA guys are doing. He's well prepared for the men game and he's a guy who can play with other skilled players but we need someone skilled he can play with, Bonino isn't that calibre.

He's a year ahead of everybody else in his draft year for development but he is playing one of the worst teams in Liiga and putting up better numbers than Teravainen.

Archived