The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2015 Canucks Draft Talk

Horvat

I've said it a million times and I'll say it again: Getting another first round pick (very likely a late-first if it happens) or early second (31-35) determines how I want the team to draft.

Trading Vrbata is something I've been a proponent of all year. He has been fantastic for us but he is likely not sticking around past his contract and, if we can really bolster our prospect pool, I'd trade him to a contending team in a heartbeat. He doesn't have a ton of playoff success, with regards to production, but he's a veteran right-shot and is an established goal-scorer.

Bieksa won't get us anything. 1) He won't waive and 2) He has been pretty awful since the end of the 2011-12 season. A team that doesn't spend to the cap might want him for his gritty-style in his final year (2015-16) since his salary is only $2.5 million. The cap hit ($4.6 mil) is going to be a turnoff for teams closer to the cap, of course.

Actually, goalie returns tend to be pretty awful. You'd need to package something to get that to work out. That being said, Buffalo has 3 first found picks(!!!) and if they want some immediate help, Lack would probably fetch us the most. Unless they feel really strongly about Markstrom.

Its a bad move as it hurts the team's reputation of signing and trading newly signed FA's. If we do this it will send the message to players around the league that they will be moved without being given a legitimate shot after signing a deal. He may be moved but not this season, and the Canucks cannot afford to lose Vrbata at the moment.

It may sound stupid but these things matter to players and to the reputation as a team moving forward. If we want Vancouver to be a desirable destination for teams to play in you can't do those kind of things. We already have a overbearing media, extremely bipolar fanbase, and a shady reputation as it is. Doing this would make it that much more difficult for us moving forward believe it or not.

I know what you're saying with the 2 way centre business, but surely others will be converted to wing. Local kid, high pick in the WHL just like Virtanen, second overall I believe. Captain material, safe pick to be an NHL player one day. We have a lot of these types of players, he's essential the WHL version of Brendan Gaunce a few years later, but He gives us the ability to move another piece later if we can get a more developed D prospect.

I'd rather just draft a type of player that we don't already have a number of rather than use it as an asset, if we want a winger I think it would make more sense to draft a winger rather than another 2-way center with the idea of converting him to wing (or one of the ones we have).

3 years we have taken a 2-way center in the first round, plus Cassels, so we are fine on that front, and the whole local kid thing shouldn't even be a factor at all, I think we should pass on Harkins myself.

oh...me thinks we are going to be sinking lower than that our core is trying but their rust is showing and they will see it for sure tonite against Nashville.

If we are sniffing around a high pick again, Im all over Strome. Especially when ISS has him falling to #7. Playing in McDavids shadow he is NOT. He puts up his own points without him and proves it when McDavid was gone to WJC duty. Instant future replacement for Henrik

I'm not as big a fan of Strome myself, just seems slow, he's good on the draws, can make plays, but doesn't seem to stand out, I don't know what it is I'm just not sure about him, I like Marner alot more personally. Even Barzal aswell.

Its a bad move as it hurts the team's reputation of signing and trading newly signed FA's. If we do this it will send the message to players around the league that they will be moved without being given a legitimate shot after signing a deal. He may be moved but not this season, and the Canucks cannot afford to lose Vrbata at the moment.

It may sound stupid but these things matter to players and to the reputation as a team moving forward. If we want Vancouver to be a desirable destination for teams to play in you can't do those kind of things. We already have a overbearing media, extremely bipolar fanbase, and a shady reputation as it is. Doing this would make it that much more difficult for us moving forward believe it or not.

I don't disagree with anything you've said. I understand that it doesn't reflect very well of the organization, especially when it involves a player in the first year of his deal which was offered by a first-year general manager. I guess I should be elaborating that it is a deal I want to happen for the sake of the draft, as it gives us the best opportunity to accumulate top picks, but don't actually expect to occur this year. But like I've mentioned, I am a proponent of trading him eventually since I don't expect him to stay past his contract (that's obviously a gut-feeling) and, if we can actually get good value for him, I'd be hard-pressed to say no to that.

I guess the tl;dr version is: I want to move him because he could get us a decent return, but I don't expect it to happen for your reasons listed (1. We need him for our playoff push and 2. He only just signed with us).

I hope I've cleared that up for everyone.

I'd rather just draft a type of player that we don't already have a number of rather than use it as an asset, if we want a winger I think it would make more sense to draft a winger rather than another 2-way center with the idea of converting him to wing (or one of the ones we have).

3 years we have taken a 2-way center in the first round, plus Cassels, so we are fine on that front, and the whole local kid thing shouldn't even be a factor at all, I think we should pass on Harkins myself.

I agree. And, really, if Harkins is the best player available to us at our pick, I'd rather take a legitimate scoring winger (eg. Korostelev, Dergachyov, etc.) or reach back a bit and pick up an offensive defenseman (Pilon, Meloche, Andersson, etc.).

I think another name that isn't getting much attention is Kyle Connor. Right now I have him in that group of centers with guys like Barzal/Strome/Rantanen/exc.

He's probably the best centre that we have an actual, legitimate chance of selecting.

If Benning is eyeing a defencemen in the first round, I hope takes a long look at Rasmus Andersson.

He reminds me a whole lot like Duncan Keith, smooth skater, great vision (some scouts say he has better vision than Ekblad), and has potent slapper. IMO, 3rd best defensemen in this upcoming draft behind Hanifin and Kylington.

If Benning is eyeing a defencemen in the first round, I hope takes a long look at Rasmus Andersson.

He reminds me a whole lot like Duncan Keith, smooth skater, great vision (some scouts say he has better vision than Ekblad), and has potent slapper. IMO, 3rd best defensemen in this upcoming draft behind Hanifin and Kylington.

Zach Werenski might have something to say about that.

I don't disagree with anything you've said. I understand that it doesn't reflect very well of the organization, especially when it involves a player in the first year of his deal which was offered by a first-year general manager. I guess I should be elaborating that it is a deal I want to happen for the sake of the draft, as it gives us the best opportunity to accumulate top picks, but don't actually expect to occur this year. But like I've mentioned, I am a proponent of trading him eventually since I don't expect him to stay past his contract (that's obviously a gut-feeling) and, if we can actually get good value for him, I'd be hard-pressed to say no to that.

I guess the tl;dr version is: I want to move him because he could get us a decent return, but I don't expect it to happen for your reasons listed (1. We need him for our playoff push and 2. He only just signed with us).

I agree. And, really, if Harkins is the best player available to us at our pick, I'd rather take a legitimate scoring winger (eg. Korostelev, Dergachyov, etc.) or reach back a bit and pick up an offensive defenseman (Pilon, Meloche, Andersson, etc.).

He's probably the best centre that we have an actual, legitimate chance of selecting.

after watching Pastrnak rip up AHL, the WJC and now has 4 goals in The Show....makes me cringe and think HE will now be "THE ONE" that got away after we opted to select McCann....darned Hindsight

I agree that we need a dynamic player on wing, perhaps Zacha, Svechnikov or the Russian playing in Sarnia might fit the bill but knowing Henrik doesnt have many years left as our #1 center....I think its best we draft one if we are going to be picking high again

Oh okay I understand now!

I too think eventually Vrbata will be dealt to next season. If the trend continues to lose than I see it happening.

And Provorov. I like Andersson as well though. If we somehow pick up another 1st I can see Benning solving our defense's future in one draft by selecting one of the bigger name D's and Andersson.

We don't really need a winger with Shinkaruk and Virtanen there. We don't need a two-way center with Horvat, McCann and Cassels there.

We need defense though. Puck-capable defense, not shutdown. And we'll need a franchise center. Unless we're top-2 in the draft, then there's no way we're getting one in 2015. From what I've seen, Mini-Marner isn't that guy and Barzal (wasn't that guy either) just sustained a major knee injury which puts his career up in the air.

I know he's a local kid and all, but what bothers me a bit about Barzal is that he looks exactly like Xavier Laflamme.

mathew_barzal_seattle.jpg

LaFlamme_400x400.jpg

lol

From the "A day with Linden" article on the front page of Canucks.com

"The topic is upcoming scouting trips for Linden and Benning; Linden is visiting Sarnia, Sherbrook, Chicoutimi, Shawinigan, Niagara and Sault Ste. Marie and Benning is hitting up Halifax and Gatineau, both to scout amateur players for the upcoming NHL draft, players who have “spurred divergent discussion” amongst the scouts. No assignment too big, no assignment too small. Both president and GM want to personally see these prospects perform so they can weigh-in on their future as Vancouver Canucks."

Here are some of the notable prospects that they will be scouting:

* = player not in their 1st year of eligibility

Sarnia:

Pavel Zacha ( C)
Nikita Korostelev (RW)
Brandon Lindberg ( C)
*Daniel Nikandrov (LW/C)

Sherbrook:

Jérémy Roy (D)
Kay Schweri (RW)

Chicoutimi:

Nicolas Roy ( C)
*Julio Billia (G)

Shawinigan:

Anthony Beaullivier (LW/C)
Dennis Yan (LW)

Niagara:

Graham Knott (LW)
Vince Dunn (D)

Sault Ste. Marie:

Blake Speers (RW)
Gustav Bouramman (D)
David Miller ( C)
Zachary Senyshyn (RW)

Halifax:

Timo Meier (RW)
Connor Moynihan (LW)

Gatineau:

Yakov Treni (LW)
Alexandre Alain (C/RW)
Alexandre Carrier (D)

Don't you mean Chara?

Chychrun at this point is a can't miss for the 2016 class. Check him out.

On the subject of 2016 draft eligibles, Logan Brown of the Windsor Spitfires is going to be a highly touted prospect. He's an American centreman who is 6'5~6'6 and is putting up very solid rookie numbers so far this year (10g, 13a in 34 games).

That's why I said "in my opinion". Who would have predicted Duncan Keith would be the best defencemen in the 2002 draft or Shea Weber in 2005?

Based on the Barrie Colts games I've seen (albeit not a ton), he's been the best player in the ice. His vision is a cut above everybody else amongst defensemen in this draft class and not only does he have a hard/accurate slapper, his wrist-shot is just as potent.

mitch marner with our pick (9-13) and pick up a late first and draft Rasmus Andersson. I like Zacha and Strome, but part of me thinks marner will be more likely to be a 1C. Zachas numbers are not great and he is n an offensive league - any one know what is happening there?

although little, Mitch marner may have the best offensive skill after eichel and mcdavid. Unless you think Porvorov or whatever is going to be a cant miss top 2 D.

It is harder to come by great goal scorers/1C type guys than top 2 D men, and there are some good d men throughout the rounds 1 and 2.

If you believe in Mini-Marner's skill, then he should go way before we get a chance to get him. If he falls to us, then I'd say let him fall further because his point production is primarily created from the perimeter on a loaded team.

Are you kidding? Stop trying to be a know it all, you haven't even watched one Knights game. He's leading the OHL in points, he's always in the right spots for goals, he's really fast and he is one of the smartest players in the OHL along with having sick hands and a nice shot.

He's similar to a Giroux/Kane more than a Gallagher/Marchand. High level of skill that you've never seen play.

Archived