The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2015 Canucks Draft Talk

Horvat

Been looking at some 2nd/3rd round defence men , after all the Roy/Anderson/Kylington's have been taken in the 1st . I would love us to take a look at "Gustav Bouramman" , amoung Pilon/Carlo/Chabot .

We don't have a 3rd, and I could see better players available in the 2nd round.

Here are the top-30 listed by the ISS and Hockeyprospect.com for the month of January.

2w2ptlx.png

6xvtwk.png

Of note is the Hockeyprospect.com ranking where Barzal and Rantanen are in the middle of the round. I don't know if I buy it, but they are doing more than I am so I can't really criticize.

that ISS list is a little wonky

that ISS list is a little wonky

Yeah. Marner has been God-level but he is ranked one spot behind Barzal who has played just 16 games this season. Lawson Crouse is on pace for 53 points (37g, 16a) in a full 68-game OHL season, which is good but certainly not "elite", and he is listed as the best prospect behind the two generational talents.

Looking at the 2003 draft gives some perspective on what can happen in a deep draft.

Or you can look at the 1999 draft.

Via Wikipedia:

According to Sports Illustrated and other sports news agencies, at the time the 1999 draft was considered one of the deepest in talent in years, headed by Patrik Stefan and the Sedin twins. However, the overall impact in the NHL hasn't matched those of the neighboring drafts. An example of this one is how many first round picks have played the equivalent of an entire regular season ten seasons after the 1999 draft; only 16 out of 28 first round picks in 1999 have played 82 NHL games, while the same statistic applies to 23 out of 27 players in 1998 and 21 out of 30 players in 2000. In addition, while the Sedin twins have excelled in the NHL, only two of the other 26 first-round picks (Barret Jackman and Martin Havlat) are still active in the NHL 15 years after the draft.

Thank goodness for Burke working his magic that day.

Kinda off topic but if I had the 1st overall I wouldn't pick mcdavid

Everyone of his goals is Deking the defense and Deking the goalie for a tap in

Or a wrap around

Those goals don't translate to the nhl

I've yet to see him take a decent shot from far out and pick a corner

He's going to get owned in the nhl especially because of his size and his name

It's amazing what Crosby does on a game to game basis considering how people are all over him

I hope Edmonton picks him cuz it's exactly the type of player they don't need

stupidest thing I've heard all day! for real? well just remember you said this when he's tearing up the nhl and proving you terribly wrong

and what do you mean those goals don't translate? you know people score nice goals in the nhl to right? not to mention he does actually have a very good shot and its funny you only bring up goals, when its his incredible vision and passing/speed that are his best tools, which last time i checked translate to the nhl very well

Archived