The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sabres moving forward...

They already are neck deep in young talent.

Here are just a few in the NHL.

Grigensons 14th overall 2012

Grigorenko 12th overall 2012

Pysyk 23rd overall 2010

Zadorov 16th 2013

Ristolainen 8th 2013

Myers and Ennis are still a bit young but not as young/inexperienced as the people above that are playing in the NHL. You could throw in Foligno as well.

They have a bunch of talent playing in junior and in the minors as well.

Reinhart 2nd overall 2014

Lemieux 31st overall 2014

Bailey 52nd overall 2013

McCabe 44th 2012

Armia 16th overall 2011

That barely scratches the surface in terms of the amount of young talent they have acquired in the last 4 seasons. These are just the cream of the crop though I probably missed a few prospects that are playing well... Don't blame me! where is SabreFan1 when you need him <_<

A thing I am to point out is that Buffalo is going to be set, especially down the middle if they're able to draft McDavid/Eichel. Mcdavid/Reinhart punch down the middle *drool*. Only areas I see them REALLY needing improvements prospect wise are at G. Makarov is their best goalie prospect but it wouldn't hurt to have a better one!

My questions are. Assuming Buffalo picks McDavid/Eichel how far off do you think they will be from making the playoffs? How much of an impact will they make in the future? What pieces will they need to complement their young talent in order for those things to happen?

Why am I talking about the Sabres? Well... hey! At least I am not talking about the Oilers. ;)

Still pretty far, except for potentially McDavid or Eichel, all the Sabres' young prospect at forward are or lesser quality than the Oilers IMO (reinhart comparable to RNH).

What they have better than the Oilers is defensive propsect. Ristolainen and Zadorov are already playing in the NHL, compared to Nurse.

Assuming a centerline with McDavid/Reinhart/Girgenson, starting next year (2015-16). I'd say the sabres could make the playoff by 2017-18 or 2016-17 if they could find a solid, steady goaltender (as the East if often pretty volatile).

But I doubt the Sabres will turn it around as quickly as the Penguins and Hawks, however should be faster than the Oilers.

Benning said he isnt trading Kassian.

Admit it. Kassian >>>>> Hodgson

“With any young player you have to patient, but having said that, if somebody calls us, and we think we can make our team better we’re going to look at that. We’re going to talk about it,” Benning said.

“That’s the case with any player.”

Source: http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/01/02/benning-kassian-has-to-embrace-the-power-forward-role/

That quote sounds inconsistent with saying he isn't trading Kassian. Do you have a source for that?

My questions are. Assuming Buffalo picks McDavid/Eichel how far off do you think they will be from making the playoffs? How much of an impact will they make in the future? What pieces will they need to complement their young talent in order for those things to happen?

Having McDavid or Eichel won't change the playoffs timetable for the Sabres, it would just up the chances of advancing in each round. I think the Sabres will make the playoffs within the next 3 seasons.

As to the Sabres' impact, it will be measured in the East. The only time the West teams would care is if they met the Sabres at the end of their quest to win 16 playoff games.

As to pieces needed, look to this year's draft for the definitive answer. The Sabres will most likely be going for wingers.

Also, there's a slight concern at the future goaltender position. Good goalies hit the market every year so there's no sense of urgency to hurry and get a new one.

The question isn't what prospects can teams get from the Sabres now, it's going to be what players can teams get once the new kids start slotting into positions on the team. The only player right now that fits the risk/reward potential for other teams is Grigorenko.

The Sabres have the luxury of taking a little extra time to get things right. There's no need to make panic trades. Fans are still buying tickets in droves and the media hasn't been hounding the organization relentlessly.

Nathan Lieuwen

Archived