The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen

HITMEN_FAN

Think about the level of posters on here, then think about them getting a video feed, cutting all the relevant shifts, then putting them together in a meaningful format to post on YouTube. It'd be nice, but I'm not holding my breath.

Maybe you could be glad someone that probably watches Virtanen play more than the average CDCer is wanting to post helpful commentary.

Honestly don't be a dick

Seriously people! The person is clearly going out of their way to give us some info. They don't have to, and yet people are unappreciative and frankly rude. There is absolutely no need for it! CDC can be bitchy and snappy on a good day, but this is bad even by CDC standards.

Frankly I'll take whatever commentary I can get, video is a really cool treat.

Thank you, I appreciate it!

Jake is 18 and was 1 month away from being eligible for this year's draft.

Jake should absolutely without a doubt 100% be in the Dub next year. This year he didn't get a chance to develop during the spring or summer w. His shoulder injury.

No need to rush him whatsoever, and we need his body to grow and mature even more so that he can play that big and rugged physical game vs nhl pros who won't be bounced around as easily.

My time line for Jake.

- finish this season in the WHL.

- 15/16 get a full off-season training and play full season in the WHL and play for Canada JR's

-16/17. Play in the AHL and get call ups with the NuX.

-17/18 first full year w. The Nux.

sorry but sounds like jake gets a chance to try out with the canucks next year.... i think he is ahead of your development program... he may not make the team but he will be extremely close ....

Jake should absolutely without a doubt 100% be in the Dub next year. This year he didn't get a chance to develop during the spring or summer w. His shoulder injury.

No need to rush him whatsoever, and we need his body to grow and mature even more so that he can play that big and rugged physical game vs nhl pros who won't be bounced around as easily.

My time line for Jake.

- 15/16 get a full off-season training and play full season in the WHL and play for Canada JR's

Couldn't agree more.To bad he cant play in the AHL next year like Shinkaruk did. I defiantly think if the Canucks want the most out of Virtanen he needs a year in the AHL under Travis Green.(Learn the 200ft game) But when Virtanen does make the team, he's gonna be a truck

Hopefully it's not the same shoulder and he doesn't end up with some serious damage there. There's always a risk of drafting a kid who's already got some injury history but Virtanen won't be a Canuck for a while so hopefully it heals nicely and he gets in a full season in junior next year before getting his 9 games in the NHL the FOLLOWING season.

Jake is still very young and I think we should take the Horvat approach to him - round out his positional and defensive game FIRST in the junior leagues, even if that means staying an extra year, and then see how he fares in the AHL/NHL. His size and toughness won't be a problem, but consistency and positioning will be which is what he can learn a bit more in junior rather than in pro hockey, where young kids often learn how to play up to speed and up to toughness (which I believe Jake already has).

Apparently the trainer was looking at his other shoulder and not the one he had surgery on so thats somewhat good news I guess

The one issue I feel Canuck fans will not like is the is no one on the Calgary Hitmen sticking up for Virtanen. You could some what see it in previous games (Virtanen would be given a cheap shot and no retaliation from teammates), yesterday when he took the knee on knee as he was on the ground a teammate Michael Zipp half way grabs the Brandon player, tugs his jersey and skates away.

I'm not saying someone should have taken a 2 hand chop at the guy, but Virtanen is by far the best player the Hitmen have, call me old school but you can't let that kind of play go against your star player.

As for posting in this portion of the forum, yes I am new and will post in the prospect section next time. Honestly I do not follow the NHL despite living in Calgary, I enjoy the WHL game and feel that the value for dollar far out weights that of the NHL.

If there is interests I can post updates on Virtanen's game play, I'm at every Hitmen home game, and some road games,

From what Ive seen from Virtanen he holds his ground pretty we'll and he's the guy that's sticking up for his teammates which is great. The guys got the full package of toughness and skill

After watching Virtanen play over the past few years, I will say this, he has more potential in the NHL then Sam Reinhart.

I like Virtanen and think he was a good pick at #6 in the draft. But given the option of trading Virtanen for Reinhart, that has to be a no-brainer. Reinhart was arguably the best player in the world juniors this year. He looks likely to be an NHL 1C --the hardest position to fill effectively.

The one issue I feel Canuck fans will not like is the is no one on the Calgary Hitmen sticking up for Virtanen. You could some what see it in previous games (Virtanen would be given a cheap shot and no retaliation from teammates), yesterday when he took the knee on knee as he was on the ground a teammate Michael Zipp half way grabs the Brandon player, tugs his jersey and skates away.

I'm not saying someone should have taken a 2 hand chop at the guy, but Virtanen is by far the best player the Hitmen have, call me old school but you can't let that kind of play go against your star player.

As for posting in this portion of the forum, yes I am new and will post in the prospect section next time. Honestly I do not follow the NHL despite living in Calgary, I enjoy the WHL game and feel that the value for dollar far out weights that of the NHL.

If there is interests I can post updates on Virtanen's game play, I'm at every Hitmen home game, and some road games,

And yet, he's reportedly still getting less than 16 minutes per game?

Maybe you could be glad someone that probably watches Virtanen play more than the average CDCer is wanting to post helpful commentary.

Honestly don't be a dick

That's a separate conversation on the general state of CDC and the limited likelihood that a random poster would have the skill to create/edit/post videos on a single player's shifts every game.

As far as the OP, I was friendly and pointed out the existing thread where lots of people have been discussing Virtanen for some time. His game reviews would be welcome there.

But hey, I'm glad you have any comment at all on the actual topic of the thread. Maybe you could try doing that instead of just coming into threads telling people not to be dicks.

I'm with you, but I've seen it done already. Doable stuff. And WAAAY better than just commentary, if the person wants to be a real help.

He said he attends Hitmen home games and sometimes road games. Kind of hard to film Jake's shifts every time he's on the ice when it's pretty hard to know when he's on the ice until you see his jersey number pop up.. And even then, he is a Hitmen fan first and foremost so it'll be hard to remember to press record when Jake is on sometimes.

That's a separate conversation on the general state of CDC and the limited likelihood that a random poster would have the skill to create/edit/post videos on a single player's shifts every game.

As far as the OP, I was friendly and pointed out the existing thread where lots of people have been discussing Virtanen for some time. His game reviews would be welcome there.

But hey, I'm glad you have any comment at all on the actual topic of the thread. Maybe you could try doing that instead of just coming into threads telling people not to be dicks.

You know Elvis when you're not playing mini-mod I find your actual hockey related opinions to be quite interesting. Give the guy a break.

We do have moderators for such tasks. I realize that you fancy yourself some sort of neighbourhood watch, but I liken it to a mall cop that wants to be a police officer.

He said he attends Hitmen home games and sometimes road games. Kind of hard to film Jake's shifts every time he's on the ice when it's pretty hard to know when he's on the ice until you see his jersey number pop up.. And even then, he is a Hitmen fan first and foremost so it'll be hard to remember to press record when Jake is on sometimes.

Just seeing what he's willing to do. I've seen good and bad videos for sure, but maybe this person can pull off something good.

You know Elvis when you're not playing mini-mod I find your actual hockey related opinions to be quite interesting. Give the guy a break.

We do have moderators for such tasks. I realize that you fancy yourself some sort of neighbourhood watch, but I liken it to a mall cop that wants to be a police officer.

I'm with the red pony here, Elvis your a great poster but nobody wants the mini mod comments. If you want to be a mod apply for the spot and till you get it let the mods do what they are (paid?) to do and just keep your posts relative to hockey.

Am I acting like a mini mod now? :(

Edit; when someone comes on as a new poster that is from an outside area especially and gets slammed by countless posters when they are trying to help us by giving us information that we may not have, it's embarrassing to me that we can be so rude and judgmental.

I'm with the red pony here, Elvis your a great poster but nobody wants the mini mod comments. If you want to be a mod apply for the spot and till you get it let the mods do what they are (paid?) to do and just keep your posts relative to hockey.

Am I acting like a mini mod now? :(

no your not. I feel like this is more of an intervention. I too feel the same way. Elvis. King of rock and roll.

My time line for Jake.

This.

Maybe people should take their own advice and ignore comments they think are a problem. I've got plenty of hockey related opinions in the Jake Virtanen Talk thread in the Prospects forum I directed the OP to.

If someone wants to report me, go ahead, but my original post was nice and included helpful info on where I'd enjoy seeing the OP's opinions, while the posts after were just discussing the limited possibility that the OP was likely to do shift by shift videos for us. I was just explaining that, but apparently even that's an issue.

Edit; when someone comes on as a new poster that is from an outside area especially and gets slammed by countless posters when they are trying to help us by giving us information that we may not have, it's embarrassing to me that we can be so rude and judgmental.

I agree, and we should stop with the SpiderMan pics and 'ibtl'/'lock and ban' posts in reply, particularly to new posters. You'll find I never do that to new posters and try to reply with helpful information, like I did in this thread. While I did make a judgement on the OP's ability/want to create a shift by shift video, that has a high percentage chance of being correct. Which posts are better, my explanatory ones, or the spam ones I mentioned first?

Then again, for people who should know better (like Gross Misconduct and his Robert Downy Jr. thread) I have no mercy.

Archived