The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Oscars 2015 / Best Films of 2014

The Bookie

Funny about Arquette's 'passionate' speech about wage equality when the SWAG bag at the Oscars was worth 200k.

Wage equality is pretty difficult when, among other things, actors in general are a bunch of divas that require pampering and ego stroking.

yeah, but still. say what we will about celebrities or sports figures being overpaid, those Sony leaks revealed some pretty shocking wage disparities between A-list men and women. if i were an actress i'd be pretty upset about that too. I mean, when Charlize Theron, a pretty good actress with numerous awards under her belt is being paid ten million less than co-star Chris Hemsworth (who?), I think some women have a right to complain

The American Sniper nominations are a joke, they should be replaced with Nightcrawler. Nice to see the marked absence of Interstellar too. Also, what the hell is Keira Knightley doing as supporting actress nominee? No Jake Gyllenhaal for Best Actor?

Ridiculous

I mentioned a while ago that American Sniper was going to get at least an Oscar nomination. Say what you want about the script and the person - you and I have walked down that path already - the choices in say, sound editing, were good choices.

I mentioned a while ago that American Sniper was going to get at least an Oscar nomination. Say what you want about the script and the person - you and I have walked down that path already - the choices in say, sound editing, were good choices.

What about the sound editing in the film stands out to you?

I feel like you've allowed the 'hype' about the movie to make you completely biased against the movie. Try not listening to what others have to say about the movie and judge it for yourself. Maybe you don't like it, but at least judge it based on its flaws, not based on your contempt for those who praise the film.

It might stop you from saying ridiculous things like comparing it to a Tyler Perry movie.

The Tyler Perry comment was the part addressing the film itself, not those salivating over it. The film aims to be memorable by having the viewers relate to exact same moments in their lives, and like Tyler Perry movies, it's pretty much by the book for one demographic it's tailored for. As a viewer outside of that demographic, I found no redeeming qualities. Shoot me.

The Social Network was brilliant and Tree of Life is a masterpiece and one of the best movies of the 21st century, up there with In the Mood for Love, There Will Be Blood and Mulholland Drive. Though, TOL is not exactly BP material. Too deep, abstract and lacking in Hollywood glitz.

What does it matter? The movie was tremendous and deserved BP over The King's Speech.

You're speaking to the right person about Mulholland Drive, as I think that movie is brilliant, and one of my all time favourites, but I still don't know about Tree of Life. I have not seen all of Terrance Mallick's films, but of those that I've seen, it is the one I disliked the most. It really just was not my movie.

I really do not agree regarding The Social Network though. That's one movie where I feel like I'm really missing the point. I can see what people liked about it, but as for it being any sort of standard bearer of film making I can't agree with that. I can't even really agree with it being a better picture than The King's Speech. Would argue that more than a couple of other movies in that category that year deserved it over The Social Network. Looking back, I would actually say Toy Story 3 maybe deserved it over all of them.

yeah, but still. say what we will about celebrities or sports figures being overpaid, those Sony leaks revealed some pretty shocking wage disparities between A-list men and women. if i were an actress i'd be pretty upset about that too. I mean, when Charlize Theron, a pretty good actress with numerous awards under her belt is being paid ten million less than co-star Chris Hemsworth (who?), I think some women have a right to complain

If someone suddenly decides to care about equal wage because of a discrepancy between an actor getting 10 mil and an actress getting 1 mil, I don't want to listen to their argument.

I don't think a movie about Facebook ever deserves best picture.

I really do not agree regarding The Social Network though. That's one movie where I feel like I'm really missing the point. I can see what people liked about it, but as for it being any sort of standard bearer of film making I can't agree with that. I can't even really agree with it being a better picture than The King's Speech. Would argue that more than a couple of other movies in that category that year deserved it over The Social Network. Looking back, I would actually say Toy Story 3 maybe deserved it over all of them.

I loved The Social Network, and I hate Facebook. I've watched it 3 or 4 times now. And again, I cannot state enough how much I dislike Facebook. The fact that David Fincher was able to make a film based on a the biggest waste of time, and yet make it watchable, was an accomplishment in of itself.

What should have won best picture that year? Well first, who really gives a s*%t. Enjoy whatever movies you like, doesn't matter if they win an award or not.

That said, my personal thoughts were that The Social Network, True Grit, The King's Speech, and Winter's Bone were all great films that, on some level, deserved to win. In my case, I've rewatched The Social Network the most, but I personally don't think it should have won. If it were up to me, True Grit was by far the best film that year. But again, all 4 of the films I mentioned deserved to win in one way or another.

SIDE NOTE: To me, Toy Story 3 is one of the most overrated films in the last number of years. It wasn't even the best in the franchise, let alone best picture worthy.

I loved The Social Network, and I hate Facebook. I've watched it 3 or 4 times now. And again, I cannot state enough how much I dislike Facebook. The fact that David Fincher was able to make a film based on a the biggest waste of time, and yet make it watchable, was an accomplishment in of itself.

What should have won best picture that year? Well first, who really gives a s*%t. Enjoy whatever movies you like, doesn't matter if they win an award or not.

That said, my personal thoughts were that The Social Network, True Grit, The King's Speech, and Winter's Bone were all great films that, on some level, deserved to win. In my case, I've rewatched The Social Network the most, but I personally don't think it should have won. If it were up to me, True Grit was by far the best film that year. But again, all 4 of the films I mentioned deserved to win in one way or another.

SIDE NOTE: To me, Toy Story 3 is one of the most overrated films in the last number of years. It wasn't even the best in the franchise, let alone best picture worthy.

I agree that the designation for best picture is not entirely relevant, but I'm making an argument for argument's sake. It is the Oscars thread after all.

I'm one of those types that has zero interest in Facebook as well, but that had little bearing on my actual thoughts on the movie.

What I will disagree with you on is Toy Story. I would call 3 the best in the series but the problem for me is that I have a hard time deeming one to be inherently inferior to the other. It's one of those easy things to say though. Who dislikes Toy Story? No one dislikes Toy Story.

Monty, pls be careful with your bolding. I was busy checking IMDB for a movie called "SIDE NOTE:" but couldn't find it. Maybe use bold for annotations, but italics for movie titles? ty.

Right now some hipster film student is writing down Side Note on his list of potential movie titles.

...And, if it's Monty, it's in BOLD.

Monty, pls be careful with your bolding. I was busy checking IMDB for a movie called "SIDE NOTE:" but couldn't find it. Maybe use bold for annotations, but italics for movie titles? ty.

:sadno:

Sliding further and further down the curve.

Who dislikes Toy Story? No one dislikes Toy Story.

I don't dislike the first two, but I was 28 when I saw watched the third one. You know, an adult. Far past the age of 4, when I thought that Dumbo was the greatest film ever made. Little did I know the lasting racist lessons Dumbo would instill in me for the rest of my life.

Thanks cartoons!

I don't dislike the first two, but I was 28 when I saw watched the third one. You know, an adult. Far past the age of 4, when I thought that Dumbo was the greatest film ever made. Little did I know the lasting racist lessons Dumbo would instill in me for the rest of my life.

Thanks cartoons!

I watched it at the age of 22. As a point of contention I'd say it's possibly the least childish of any animated movie aimed at kids that I've seen. Though I can remember from your posts that you're a lot more jaded about animated movies than I am. I entirely know what you mean about them, but Toy Story offers something more as a movie that's dealing with the idea of maturity. If anything, it's written as a companion piece to the people who grew up as children with the first 2 movies. Everything in that movie revolves around the idea of maturity and identity complications, age related and not. I would say that's how it worked for me, but it wouldn't be the case for everyone.

With racism I could say that Disney largely left it behind in their movies after the mid 90's, but George Lucas, Michael Bay and other types will always be their to insert that stuff into movies kids will watch.

I watched it at the age of 22. As a point of contention I'd say it's possibly the least childish of any animated movie aimed at kids that I've seen. Though I can remember from your posts that you're a lot more jaded about animated movies than I am. I entirely know what you mean about them, but Toy Story offers something more as a movie that's dealing with the idea of maturity. If anything, it's written as a companion piece to the people who grew up as children with the first 2 movies. Everything in that movie revolves around the idea of maturity and identity complications, age related and not. I would say that's how it worked for me, but it wouldn't be the case for everyone.

Think you're reading too much into Toy Story 3.

Here's the best review I ever read about it:

"Because I watched Toy Story 3, I will die in a little over 3 years."

- Roger Ebert

guess I'm late to the party but, The Social Network is one I always hold up as an example of great directing although I'm not sure it was the best movie of the year. Fincher managed to keep me watching/interested over the course of a long movie on a subject I had zero interest in, which is an achievement imo.

Then again I just looked at a top 100 list for 2010 and nothing really jumped out at me. If I had to pick it would be either True Grit or Winter's Bone.

Has anyone watched Enter The Void?

i haven't, bookie, but just looked it up and sounds interesting. gonna give that a dl.

as for 2010, really weak year imo. am i the only person who really liked King's Speech? lmao. yeah, not high art, but i sure loved it. Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush are two of my favourite actors though

also, another 2010 drama that went under the mainstream radar was the british movie "Another Year" -- very good drama from the very talented Mike Leigh

Archived