The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We need more defense than offense.

sedinsforever

I +1 the idea of bringing back Ehrhoff somehow. I do believe it will take time for him to rekindle that chemistry with the Sedins and provide Edler with a safety blanket, as you put it.

However, Pittsburgh probably won't let him go. Their defense isn't that great either. It's not Avs-terrible, per se, but it's still pretty lacking.

Fixed. See D-Money's post below.

Edler has 13 points this season, on pace for 27. Far from "excellent" and closer to "alright".

Now, PhillipBrunt, if we're going to compare Edler to say, Edler from last season? Then yes, he's excellent. Otherwise, he's on pace for one of his worst full NHL seasons since he first came into the league.

In fairness, Edler is having an excellent season defensively. His season is a symptom of his partner and how the team is hence forced to play them.

His offensive play will only improve with an offensive partner which we don't have unless you count Subban or maybe Hutton who are both likely 2+ years out from even beginning to contribute at the NHL level.

We have a gaping hole in our lineup of an offensive D. We have since first Ehrhoff and then Salo were not replaced. You add an offensive D to this team and so many dominoes fall in place. Tanev goes back to 2nd pairing where he rightly belongs. Edler's and the Sedins offense suddenly catches fire, the PP improves...

If they hope to improve next season we need a kid with some bonafide offense to replace Higgins on the 2nd line (Kassian, Jensen, Shinkaruk, Vey, Virtanen etc) and we need an offensive d-man. Even if it's a Vey equivalent of a "nearly there" prospect who's ready to make the jump even if inconsistently.

I'm actually a touch baffled we haven 't at least TRIED Sanguinetti...short of them (probably rightly) thinking that he's not of high enough quality to play with what is our first pairing d-man in Edler. I suppose once Hamhuis gets back that might change as Hammer/Tanev make an excellent (if smaller) shut down pair which would free up an Edler/Sanguinetti pairing to be a good 2-way pair that can feast on more prime offensive minutes but still play decent in their own end. Basically two 1B pairings with their unique skill sets.

Our goals/game is 13th in the league, so we're decent offensively. Over half a goal more per game than Edmonton, who is 27th.

So why does our D-core have only 2 more cumulative points than their horrible one?

Because we lack an offensive D to play with Edler and work in conjunction with the Sedins.

Because we lack an offensive D to play with Edler and work in conjunction with the Sedins.

Tough choice if we get an offensive D. Play him with Edler which could or couldn't work or keep Edler with Tanev since they've played top notch.

Tanev and Hammer did play great last season so if said offensive D does work out with Edler than we got a solid top 4. If not said offensive D would play with Hammer and Edler would return with Tanev. Said offensive D and Edler should always play on the PP unless we keep going with the 4 forward PP.

Either way Bieksa gets pushed down to the 3rd pairing which gives us more depth on D.

Mike Green... come to me my pretty...

Our offense has shown it can score from what we saw earlier this season. Just a matter of getting out of this cold spell and finding consistency. 2nd line is the only line I see where we could use improvements however.

In fairness, Edler is having an excellent season defensively. His season is a symptom of his partner and how the team is hence forced to play them.

His offensive play will only improve with an offensive partner which we don't have unless you count Subban or maybe Hutton who are both likely 2+ years out from even beginning to contribute at the NHL level.

We have a gaping hole in our lineup of an offensive D. We have since first Ehrhoff and then Salo were not replaced. You add an offensive D to this team and so many dominoes fall in place. Tanev goes back to 2nd pairing where he rightly belongs. Edler's and the Sedins offense suddenly catches fire, the PP improves...

If they hope to improve next season we need a kid with some bonafide offense to replace Higgins on the 2nd line (Kassian, Jensen, Shinkaruk, Vey, Virtanen etc) and we need an offensive d-man. Even if it's a Vey equivalent of a "nearly there" prospect who's ready to make the jump even if inconsistently.

I'm actually a touch baffled we haven 't at least TRIED Sanguinetti...short of them (probably rightly) thinking that he's not of high enough quality to play with what is our first pairing d-man in Edler. I suppose once Hamhuis gets back that might change as Hammer/Tanev make an excellent (if smaller) shut down pair which would free up an Edler/Sanguinetti pairing to be a good 2-way pair that can feast on more prime offensive minutes but still play decent in their own end. Basically two 1B pairings with their unique skill sets.

Isn't Sanguinetti a UFA this season? If so I'm sure a few teams are waiting to pry him away. Former first round draft pick who's been great in the AHL. Shame we haven't at least tried him when it's pretty clear that kind of D is missing from our team.

I think he'll be at another NHL team next season and one that will give him a good shot with the bigs.

Isn't Sanguinetti a UFA this season? If so I'm sure a few teams are waiting to pry him away. Former first round draft pick who's been great in the AHL. Shame we haven't at least tried him when it's pretty clear that kind of D is missing from our team.

I think he'll be at another NHL team next season and one that will give him a good shot with the bigs.

Not a guy who I'd pin my hopes on.

Tough choice if we get an offensive D. Play him with Edler which could or couldn't work or keep Edler with Tanev since they've played top notch.

They've played top notch defensively.

Edler has a history of playing well with two other offensively gifted partners, there's little reason to expect that to change short of an atypical chemistry issue.

But as you say, that's a "worst case" and then you put Tanev back with Edler. It's less ideal but could still work.

Edler is pretty good.

Really it was obvious he was playing with restrictive problems due to his back last year. I was down on Torts for over using him when he was not his best. But never Edler himself. He is playing just fine this year!

Offensively; he is good, but not a juggernaut. He's a big, mobile, two way defender with adequate puck handling and passing skills. He has a huge booming shot as a weapon. It makes him a great defender, as a good guy on the off point on the PP. Not a PP QB or PMD to drive play. And all of that is fine!

People will hate me for saying...

In regards to Edler being better offensively; one of the key hangups is he plays so much with Tanev?

Who is a great defender in our end, but pucks die on his stick in the offensive end.

What we actually need is more offense from our defense.

Our entire D-corps has 54 points total, between all of them. That is pathetic.

Yup! :frantic:

We need a guy who can undress players on the other team. And rush up ice or into the offensive zone then make plays.

Edler is pretty good.

Really it was obvious he was playing with restrictive problems due to his back last year. I was down on Torts for over using him when he was not his best. But never Edler himself. He is playing just fine this year!

Offensively; he is good, but not a juggernaut. He's a big, mobile, two way defender with adequate puck handling and passing skills. He has a huge booming shot as a weapon. It makes him a great defender, as a good guy on the off point on the PP. Not a PP QB or PMD to drive play. And all of that is fine!

In regards to Edler being better offensively; one of the key hangups is he plays so much with Tanev?

Who is a great defender in our end, but pucks die on his stick in the offensive end.

We need a guy who can undress players on the other team. And rush up ice or into the offensive zone then make plays.

...Koltsov

Edler is pretty good.

No, just no.

First off you can have your forwards help the defense out. Secondly I don't wanna watch a bunch of 2-1 games, boring!

The other thing is the team is only 1 quality top 4 dman away from looking ok, whereas the entire offensive core needs to be changed. It's not just about the lack of offense it's also about being hard to play against and the 2 top lines are soft serve.

Drafting a Dman is ok since it'll be a whole new team by the time he's a big contributor.

No, just no.

First off you can have your forwards help the defense out. Secondly I don't wanna watch a bunch of 2-1 games, boring!

The other thing is the team is only 1 quality top 4 dman away from looking ok, whereas the entire offensive core needs to be changed. It's not just about the lack of offense it's also about being hard to play against and the 2 top lines are soft serve.

Drafting a Dman is ok since it'll be a whole new team by the time he's a big contributor.

2-1 games is what we're watching (lately on the wrong side) now because our offensive players are forced to play too much defense and there's no offensive push from the back end.

You hockey wrong.

^^ Yeah I caught that JR. We pretty much agreed I think. I just started typing, am slow as I went for my morning coffee here in the land of Oz, hit send... And poof you said more or less the same thing in between.

...Koltsov

Good luck with that?

I suppose I should never say never. Nor do I discourage the idea. But odd's could not be very good...

Or as a fan you can adjust your expectations.

The team lacks the necessary assets to be a force and it appears significant help is not in the pipeline anytime soon.

So let's just accept the team for what it is. A core that has gone stale but every so often plays a lights out game just to dangle the carrot of success in front of its fans. We've seen the best that this can group can do and wanting/wishing to return to that level of performance is asking for too much.

Despite the holes, this team is still in the playoff mix. They just need to make it and see what happens.

Archived