The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How do you stop your dog from eating his feces!?!?!?

grandmaster

That's gross, you're an awful human being....growing up farmin you learn if you ain't man enough to put an animal down when the time comes, you shouldn't own animals.

and any farm boy that hasn't had relations with a farm animal is either a liar or a bad roper

Lol, he is actually a pure bred German Shepherd and yeah we don't let him kiss us because of this and the fact that they like to like their bums and crotch

a lot of people wouldn't leave the house if they could do that

some dogs eat poop... no reason to hate him over it. How old is your dog? Often they do it more when they are young then grow out of it somewhat. My dog used to go nuts for the chocolate nuggets in the cat litter box, now he doesn't really care too much about it.

That being said, try picking up the poop when your dog isn't watching. It could just be that the dog thinks it's cleaning up after itself and it's imitating you. Are you eating the poop? :o

First of all, you shouldn't own a pet if you're doing all those things and develop "hatred" toward them for something quite common....then it's your issue not your pets'. Honestly, to hear the way you've described your pet makes it sound like you don't deserve one. And animal cruelty is NOT ok....even if you are frustrated. Seems that you aren't doing the things to educate yourself properly - which would require asking an expert/vet rather than a hockey forum. Don't get an animal expecting it to be perfect and stress free...working in animal rescue means I see far too much of that. People should educate themselves PRIOR to getting a pet and know what they're getting into....not react with hostility toward the animal when they haven't.

Dogs will sometimes do that if they are lacking in nutrients or have a medical issue so be responsible and get the proper information before you start messing with the poor dog. And if the dog is a guard dog that's kept outside and you're not investing the proper time/care, again, that's not his issues it's yours. They are not a security system, they are living creatures.

Remember, dogs also sniff each others' butts so their behaviour isn't quite the same as "human" behaviour and you need not be so offended by it. Happens. But you owe it to your pet to address issues with patience and love, not hostility and anger. They respond much better to it...getting angry often just escalates things as they get nervous and anxious and their behaviour reflects that.

Get the proper information and have patience....if you look for short term fixes that you get from a hockey forum you'll likely be dealing with the problem for a lot longer than if you take the time and effort to do it correctly from the get go.

Sorry to sound so harsh but I can't stand when people get pets but don't research and commit to doing it right before making the decision. Then we end up with them because they abandon them or, as in this case, mistreat them. Not the animal's fault...for they are just that - animals. To expect that they behave differently is wrong.

Good luck. If you want me to ask an expert for you, I am prepared to help as I do now have concern that your dog is being "blamed" for something that really isn't his fault. Part of owning a dog (at times)....my ex's dog also did the same and had all kinds of skin problems. He has allergies and is now on a specific diet to address the matters. So don't get a dog unless vet care is part of that decision....it's an expectation.

My dog has teh same problem. Only thing that really works is watching her when she goes out and shoveling regularly. Pumpkin in their food is also suppose to work but we've had mixed success with this. We also tried the hot sauce but I swear my dog was just like thanks now this S$%t has some kick to it, awesome!

I had this problem for many years with my semi-retarded mutt, and still do from time to time. There are pills you can buy from the pet store that makes Poop bitter and inedible. If he/she is crapping inside your house and eating it, it may be trying to hide the evidence and you should be careful about getting mad, that will just make him/her even more anxious. The pills worked after a few years, but mine still reverts to having a poo snack every once in a while. Apparently it's....normal. Good luck.

Dogs will eat their own feces for a variety of reasons:

- lacking nutrients

- boredom

- female dogs will do this more as they clean up after their pups as well. So sometimes a dog may do this due to instinct. Thought I know your dog is a male, so that rules this out.

- etc

Do your research, talk to your vet, and you should be able to narrow down why your dog is doing this. You'll find out that it is fairly easy to correct. Unless you have a female dog who's had puppies, like our first dog did. She was used to cleaning up after her pups, so she had no problem pooping in her kennel and then cleaning up after herself. It was a double edged sword with her it obviously wasn't good for her; however, this is an indication that you have a b*tch that is a great mother to her pups.

Shock collars &, physical punishment ("smack him") are ineffective and may only add to the issues of anxiety/stress if your dog is having problems. It's like yelling at a baby for pooping in his diaper so try to keep cool, calm and be patient. It will speed things up and if you're yelling and hurting your dog, that in itself could lead to problematic behaviour. As does isolation and leaving a dog out without any interaction.

Again, if the dog is for "security" purposes (German shephards often are) and isn't receiving the proper socialization and other necessary things that needs to change. You'd likely eat your poop too if you were stuck out by yourself with no stimulation out of sheer boredom (not really, but for animals - yes)....not saying that's the case, just consider it if it is.

I don't mean any of this to be an attack on you....you seem like a great person and I'm sure that it is frustrating. But believe me, love and patience work a lot more toward addressing pet issues than anger and hostility do. That never solves them. :)

Honestly, the first step here is to not be grossed out by it or embarrassed by it....it's quite common and normal. So change the attitude of "ew, you're disgusting" and accept that your dog is.....an animal. Then address it is as such.

Again, good luck. I'm glad you're at least trying things, just that it seems they're the wrong ones (as is evident by the lack of success). And it may just be that that's how it is with this dog....in which case "it is what it is" applies.

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-behavior/coprophagia-eating-feces

My dog did this too once upon a time, but he didn't eat his own. When I let him off leash on trails and whatnot he would sniff out other dogs feces and chow down. I'm sure there's some sort of reasoning behind it but I couldn't be bothered to find out. I just kept him on leash from thereon.

First of all, you shouldn't own a pet if you're doing all those things and develop "hatred" toward them for something quite common....then it's your issue not your pets'. Honestly, to hear the way you've described your pet makes it sound like you don't deserve one. And animal cruelty is NOT ok....even if you are frustrated. Seems that you aren't doing the things to educate yourself properly - which would require asking an expert/vet rather than a hockey forum. Don't get an animal expecting it to be perfect and stress free...working in animal rescue means I see far too much of that. People should educate themselves PRIOR to getting a pet and know what they're getting into....not react with hostility toward the animal when they haven't.

Dogs will sometimes do that if they are lacking in nutrients or have a medical issue so be responsible and get the proper information before you start messing with the poor dog. And if the dog is a guard dog that's kept outside and you're not investing the proper time/care, again, that's not his issues it's yours. They are not a security system, they are living creatures.

Remember, dogs also sniff each others' butts so their behaviour isn't quite the same as "human" behaviour and you need not be so offended by it. Happens. But you owe it to your pet to address issues with patience and love, not hostility and anger. They respond much better to it...getting angry often just escalates things as they get nervous and anxious and their behaviour reflects that.

Get the proper information and have patience....if you look for short term fixes that you get from a hockey forum you'll likely be dealing with the problem for a lot longer than if you take the time and effort to do it correctly from the get go.

Sorry to sound so harsh but I can't stand when people get pets but don't research and commit to doing it right before making the decision. Then we end up with them because they abandon them or, as in this case, mistreat them. Not the animal's fault...for they are just that - animals. To expect that they behave differently is wrong.

Good luck. If you want me to ask an expert for you, I am prepared to help as I do now have concern that your dog is being "blamed" for something that really isn't his fault. Part of owning a dog (at times)....my ex's dog also did the same and had all kinds of skin problems. He has allergies and is now on a specific diet to address the matters. So don't get a dog unless vet care is part of that decision....it's an expectation.

You need to relax. I've spend thousands for this dog re vet bills so don't assume he doesn't get vet care. Many would have let their dog die rather than spend 5 grand on an operation to save his life.

He is also not an outdoor guard dog, he is inside most of the time and part of the family.

This is also not a "common" problem as you put it.

As for using punishment as a training method, who are you to say if it is right or wrong? I tried everything so again, don't judge me and assume he is not loved (I just have some hate brewing from his crap eating).

Grandmaster, shock collar and physical punishment? really? Dude just pull your dog away right after he poops and pick the god damn poop up.

He does it after I let him out to pee. I'm not with him at the time. I see it out the window or smell it on his breath when he comes in. Happens 1 out 10 times he is let out.

He does it after I let him out to pee. I'm not with him at the time. I see it out the window or smell it on his breath when he comes in. Happens 1 out 10 times he is let out.

Well there's your solution. Go out with him, and pick his poop up when he poops and he won't eat it. Problem solved.

Well, the immediate fix is to pick up after him and/or make sure you go out with him every time and correct him right before he does it. That's how you can train him out of doing it.

There are ways to correct it, rather than just changing his diet, keeping him more active so he's not bored, etc.

Not ragging on you or anything, but this is rather simple to correct. If you don't, then it's just laziness.

Archived