The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How do you stop your dog from eating his feces!?!?!?

grandmaster

Some of the dogs in my family were horrible abused. They were left starving in small boxes and of course they started eating their own feces.

Like others have said. The only way to deal with it is to go out with them. Gently push them away and clean it up immediately. We've seen a slow improvement, but I don't think they'll ever stop completely. It's a pain, but worth the time given how traumatized they were.

Assuming your dog doesn't have trauma attached, you may look at keeping it more active and make sure it has the right nutrients.

It's getting to a point where I am developing hatred towards him.

Red flag. Just try to be patient.

google.com is better :emot-parrot:

duckduckgo or any other search engine (besides Bing/Yahoo/etc) is better.

But seriously pick it up and he can't eat it. Why you'd leave your dog - who has a problem with eating poop - unattended around old poop or even fresh so he could eat it, I don't know. The dog isn't the problem here.

Why was my post edited? Sometimes a personal attack is necessary. He has no problem abusing his dog. Obviously he is unfit to be a dog owner. Doesn't clean up the poop, obviously the dog has malnutrition issues, and he puts a shock collar on it and beats its? That kind of person needs more than getting beaked off on the Internet.

He deserves everything he gave to the dog.

Why was my post edited? Sometimes a personal attack is necessary. He has no problem abusing his dog. Obviously he is unfit to be a dog owner. Doesn't clean up the poop, obviously the dog has malnutrition issues, and he puts a shock collar on it and beats its? That kind of person needs more than getting beaked off on the Internet.

Aren't you full of idiotic assumptions? How do you know what I feed my dog? When did I say I don't clean his poop? You can relax and be assured he is well nourished and is not swimming in his poo. You are being ridiculous.

I also am not ashamed at giving physical discipline a TRY. You make it sound like I'm constantly shocking him. Again with your idiotic assumptions. As long as it is reasonable, done at the right time and not as punishment, there is nothing wrong with that. It's even acceptable all the way up to the Supreme Court of Canada for parents disciplining their kids.

I can tell you will be one of those horrible parents that will let their kids get away with murder.

x1000 this

A pathetic waste if you ask me if a human has to exert their will over a lesser creature because they dont have the basic knowledge of owning a living, breathing, crapping animal.

I have actually had to intervene on one occasion when I witnessed an owner kick his dog for not peeing fast enough ? WTF is wrong with people ?

Aren't you full of idiotic assumptions? How do you know what I feed my dog? When did I say I don't clean his poop? You can relax and be assured he is well nourished and is not swimming in his poo. You are being ridiculous.

I also am not ashamed at giving physical discipline a TRY. You make it sound like I'm constantly shocking him. Again with your idiotic assumptions. As long as it is reasonable, done at the right time and not as punishment, there is nothing wrong with that. It's even acceptable all the way up to the Supreme Court of Canada for parents disciplining their kids.

I can tell you will be one of those horrible parents that will let their kids get away with murder.

says the guy assuming he'll find the kind of help he needs on a hockey forum ;)

My dog did this too once upon a time, but he didn't eat his own. When I let him off leash on trails and whatnot he would sniff out other dogs feces and chow down. I'm sure there's some sort of reasoning behind it but I couldn't be bothered to find out. I just kept him on leash from thereon.

Two dogs, one cup?

Do you all automatically assume he punches the dog full force or something? I would have no problem with someone giving a little backhand finger snap to his side. German Shepherds are very tough dogs, hence their use in police and military.

What someone said about the bananas is definitely a possibility. If the potassium doesn't help its likely boredom. Does he get enough exercise and work? Also, sometimes it's because it just tastes good meaning he's not digesting well enough the first time. Do you buy high protein food for him?

Dogs will eat their own feces for a variety of reasons:

- lacking nutrients

- boredom

- female dogs will do this more as they clean up after their pups as well. So sometimes a dog may do this due to instinct. Thought I know your dog is a male, so that rules this out.

- etc

Do your research, talk to your vet, and you should be able to narrow down why your dog is doing this. You'll find out that it is fairly easy to correct. Unless you have a female dog who's had puppies, like our first dog did. She was used to cleaning up after her pups, so she had no problem pooping in her kennel and then cleaning up after herself. It was a double edged sword with her it obviously wasn't good for her; however, this is an indication that you have a b*tch that is a great mother to her pups.

You forgot:

-Terrible owner

Do you all automatically assume he punches the dog full force or something? I would have no problem with someone giving a little backhand finger snap to his side. German Shepherds are very tough dogs, hence their use in police and military.

What someone said about the bananas is definitely a possibility. If the potassium doesn't help its likely boredom. Does he get enough exercise and work? Also, sometimes it's because it just tastes good meaning he's not digesting well enough the first time. Do you buy high protein food for him?

Yeah he is a big boy; 115lbs, tall and lean. Eats well and gets ok exercize with a good walk or 10K run on a near daily basis (he is mainly an indoor dog). My kids always chase him in the house.

Too many idiots like to assume I'm some dog beater when I mentioned I TRIED physical discipline.

I'm trying the banana thing.

Yeah he is a big boy; 115lbs, tall and lean. Eats well and gets ok exercize with a good walk or 10K run on a near daily basis (he is mainly an indoor dog). My kids always chase him in the house.

Too many idiots like to assume I'm some dog beater when I mentioned I TRIED physical discipline.

I'm trying the banana thing.

I thought you said you had a dog, not a monkey. Lol. Anywho. The bananas worked for my dog, and my parents dogs. If you give them too much they get muddy poop tho. Counter that with pumpkin mash. That thickens it back up

After spending the last couple days laughing at this thread, don't I look outside to see my stupid mutt has found a frozen turd that got buried in the snow, playing with it. Mine has an excuse though, she's pretty stupid, if she had to take the short bus to school she would have to sit at the front because she would hit her head on every seat while trying to walk past them.

Maybe your dog is some kinda hippy lovin' tree hugger and he is trying to lower his carbon footprint though?

My other thought is that he's an entrepreneur and he wants to go into business cleaning up for the neighbours dogs.

Archived