The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How do you stop your dog from eating his feces!?!?!?

grandmaster

I've worked with dogs at every job I've had in the last 10 years. While I wouldn't say it's a common problem, I do see it occasionally and it seems to mostly be German Shepherds.

I'd recommend first taking him to the vet to rule out any sort of health issue. Some vets also sell something called "For-Bid" which is a powder you add to their food that will deter them from eating their poop. I haven't tested it out so I can't comment on the efficacy of it though. Something I have tried which seemed to work most of the time is pineapple; just add a slice or 2 to each meal and it apparently makes their poop taste terrible.

What kind of food are you feeding him?

Yeah he is a big boy; 115lbs, tall and lean. Eats well and gets ok exercize with a good walk or 10K run on a near daily basis (he is mainly an indoor dog). My kids always chase him in the house.

Too many idiots like to assume I'm some dog beater when I mentioned I TRIED physical discipline.

I'm trying the banana thing.

Not idiots. When you suggested you'd also tried shock collars AND were developing a hatred toward him, you sort of set the tone for that line of thinking. So understand that many here are animal lovers and you didn't really give us reason NOT to assume that....it wasn't too farfetched or unreasonable.

I dunno but my bro has a German Shepard....I'd say that unfortunately he doesn't get enough exercise. However imp he is also a bit neurotic with separation issues.....he is obsessed with chewing objects and has cost thousands in dental work from shrapnel getting lodged in his gums and rotting out teeth...

Maybe pure bread dogs are too in bread and messed up?...breeder dogs?

My dogs are pure Siberian huskies but they were stray pack roaming dogs and rescued....I've had one for eight years without a single shot or trip to the vet.

Most people I know who have mixed breeds have a lot easier time though in general

I'm surprised the hotsauce didn't work. Try ketchup and/or mustard. Salt and pepper?

When he does this, chastise him and then muzzle him for a while. Keep doing this til he gets it. You may feel guilty but at least you're not harming him.

I have a dog that does this. He's a very smart dog and knows it's wrong, but still can't help himself.

All I have to do is ask him if he's just eaten poop and he slowly walks away in shame. Won't come back until I tell him it's alright.

Picking up their crap after they do their business is the obvious answer... but ask anyone with a backyard and multiple dogs how practical that is. That's the reason you have a back yard... so that you don't have to follow them outside 5 times a day.

I never worried much about it.. but after reading this thread I'm curious about the possible vitamin deficiency. I'll have to look into that.

I dunno but my bro has a German Shepard....I'd say that unfortunately he doesn't get enough exercise. However imp he is also a bit neurotic with separation issues.....he is obsessed with chewing objects and has cost thousands in dental work from shrapnel getting lodged in his gums and rotting out teeth...

Maybe pure bread dogs are too in bread and messed up?...breeder dogs?

My dogs are pure Siberian huskies but they were stray pack roaming dogs and rescued....I've had one for eight years without a single shot or trip to the vet.

Most people I know who have mixed breeds have a lot easier time though in general

No... That sounds like your brother got too much dog and isn't exercising/training/working him enough. GSD's aren't for the casual pet owner, especially if it's from a working line.

I have a dog that does this. He's a very smart dog and knows it's wrong, but still can't help himself.

All I have to do is ask him if he's just eaten poop and he slowly walks away in shame. Won't come back until I tell him it's alright.

Picking up their crap after they do their business is the obvious answer... but ask anyone with a backyard and multiple dogs how practical that is. That's the reason you have a back yard... so that you don't have to follow them outside 5 times a day.

I never worried much about it.. but after reading this thread I'm curious about the possible vitamin deficiency. I'll have to look into that.

Thank you, it's exactly my situation

I'm surprised the hotsauce didn't work. Try ketchup and/or mustard. Salt and pepper?

When he does this, chastise him and then muzzle him for a while. Keep doing this til he gets it. You may feel guilty but at least you're not harming him.

It's all extra flavouring for him. He doesn't always do this. Maybe one time out of ten when I let him out in the back yard. It's like some mental thing. He knows it's wrong. Trust me on that one.

I've worked with dogs at every job I've had in the last 10 years. While I wouldn't say it's a common problem, I do see it occasionally and it seems to mostly be German Shepherds.

I'd recommend first taking him to the vet to rule out any sort of health issue. Some vets also sell something called "For-Bid" which is a powder you add to their food that will deter them from eating their poop. I haven't tested it out so I can't comment on the efficacy of it though. Something I have tried which seemed to work most of the time is pineapple; just add a slice or 2 to each meal and it apparently makes their poop taste terrible.

What kind of food are you feeding him?

Tried a few different brands, nothing cheap. I might try an all veggie one if this banana per day thing doesn't work

Sounds like the OP isn't doing his job. I don't have a dog, but know you are suppose to pick up your dog crap.

Oh and if your dog drinks from the toilet, close the lid.

Not rocket science

Thanks tips.

Unfortunately I can't keep going out in the back yard every time I let him out to do his business. I can do it no more than once a day. Some of us have full time jobs, shift workers and families to raise

Thanks tips.

Unfortunately I can't keep going out in the back yard every time I let him out to do his business. I can do it no more than once a day. Some of us have full time jobs, shift workers and families to raise

Why not? Home alone taking care of kids? If they're young enough you can't trust them by themselves for 5 minutes, then bring them with you. Working from home (since clearly you can't let the dog out while you're at the office)? Then just take a break. Someone else is home? Perfect, then put the dog on a leash so you can correct him if he tries to eat poop and take him out.

Archived