The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Target Canada shutting down all 133 stores, 17,600 losing jobs.

AriGold

It was destined to fail. Lack of inventory was one of there biggest issues. But coming into a marketplace without even knowing your competition is the craziest part..

Why would people pay double what they pay at other stores?

Clothing.. Cheaper at walmart or any of the stores in the mall when on sale.

Kitchen wares.. Cheaper at canadian tire and when on sale over half the price

Electronics...Cheaper pretty much anywhere in town

Toy section was ok at xmas time but only on sale items

Don't even get me started on the food section wtf!?!

Feel really bad for all those losing their jobs :(

They were overly ambitious by trying to open so many stores within the two years. When you have 100 stores losing money while only 30 stores do well - you're going to run into a big problem.

Also, the problem with argument behind "bringing the exact store to Canada" is that it is not possible due to economical differences, rights, and more. In fact, if you go Walmart / Costco in the states, the prices there are incomparably cheaper there than here as well. It is true though that they could not deliver on the high expectations of bringing a similar Target to Canada, but many stores have the same problem as well.

Like the states, their biggest competition is Walmart and they are losing on both sides of the border...

Such a shame.

They just build a brand-spankin' new Target near Polo Park in Winnipeg, at the site of the old football stadium. I don't even think its open yet.

I've never shopped at these stores significantly, a bit when I went to US, but I never really saw what was special about them.

Both the Targets I've been to (Nanaimo and Hillside in Victoria) were such lackluster stores. The inventory was horrible. It seemed like the policy was "two of every item, aside from the ones which we do not have any". Everything was way too expensive too. Why would I buy overpriced low end clothing from Target when I could get it way cheaper from Wal-Mart?

I feel really bad for the people losing their jobs, but I'm not at all surprised. Funny enough, my family said it wouldn't last within the first week of going there.

So much for a strong economy, eh? Harper?

To be honest, any one individual running the country is too easy of a target.

Seems like mismanagement cost them, rather than the people of Canada. Our taxes are generally too high. The overhead will automatically be higher here.

Walked through there twice, to get to the mall. It seemed desolate. Then I looked at a few prices on kitchenware....nope. Nothing to see here and a speedy exit to the mall.

That was a quick and disastrous venture for them. Now all those people without jobs...sounds like they're working out a 16 week severance package and then ??

Adios, Target. Don't let the automatic door that often doesn't work hit ya on the way out.

Lol

It's a shame. That's going to be a lot of empty retail space for some malls to have to deal with, and a lot of people being sent into the job market, which isn't exactly bright at the moment.

I only went there for the electronics and media section, and that was when I knew there was a sale there. They had an extensive collection in music and movies that most other stores didn't match, but it's not as if their prices were all that appealing.

On top of everything, they did not even list their prices online. Even Walmart does that nowadays. You have to check in with each store individually.

I mean if they had such a focus on non-consumable merchandise, you would hope they'd be better organized, and more competetively priced. There wasn't enough reason to shop there, to put it simply.

I'm not a fan of these big box retail stores. It's just too big. I've always shopped at London Drugs when I needed something quick. It's Canadian and the store size is just perfect. Prices may not be as competitive as Walmart, but I still prefer shopping there and the employees are very nice. They don't treat their employees like crap like Walmart. I worked at London Drugs before and it was a good place to work.

Another example of poor management. Lacked low prices, website was useless and inventory issues. Did they really think charging more than what other stores were charging would be successful here? At least they gave a damn about their employees on the way out.

Reminds me of when a bunch of engineers presented Xerox upper management with concepts such as the GUI, keyboard+mouse and practically everything else you use in home computing. Some dumb dumbs in upper management thought it was stupid and ordered them to give that to Apple. Xerox is worth 30 billion today. Microsoft and Apple are worth nearly half a trillion. Must have been some sweet golden parachute for that CEO who passed on a half a trillion dollar industry.

As a recent graduate between jobs, this could not happen at a worse time for me.. <_<

It's hard enough to find a decent job, now there are going to be 17k people crowding the job boards too.

Not to mention the people from the oil patch.

The only thing I liked Target for was big releases of electronics.

Example: The morning the PS4 came out. Drove by a FutureShop and BestBuy on my way to Target. Both had huge line ups around the corner of about 500 people each. I went to Target, went to the in store Starbucks and grabbed a coffee, strolled over to the electronics section and bought my PS4, didn't even have to wait in line to check out. Could've bought like 10 if I wanted to and driven by the FutureShop and BestBuy's and sold them to people who were too far back in line to get one.

When Target came to Canada I was excited because I do enjoy going to Target in the USA. That was until I saw the prices of items and the lack of US inventory.

What a fail it was, they came in and charged more then Walmart... Fools..

They had to abide by Canadian laws, so they weren't allowed to price the items like they could in the U.S.A..

I wonder if the lack of success will deter Canadians from going to Targets in the U.S., although the one in the U.S. is much better, it might be stigmatized by its poor experience in Canada.

Archived