The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Target Canada shutting down all 133 stores, 17,600 losing jobs.

AriGold

They had to abide by Canadian laws, so they weren't allowed to price the items like they could in the U.S.A..

I wonder if the lack of success will deter Canadians from going to Targets in the U.S., although the one in the U.S. is much better, it might be stigmatized by its poor experience in Canada.

Since target was only here for a short time, most Canadian shoppers already know about the better deals and products in the US.

I won't really miss Target myself, but I do have a friend there that is now out of work because of this.

It sucks seeing a company having to leave Canada.

I feel sorry for all those employees...what a drag....we go to the one in Vernon every now and then - cleaner and better organized than the Wallmart.

I hate Wallmart. They jam so much stuff in the aisles you'd think they would get fined for violating a fire code or something.

Complete and utter chaos.

Not to mention the slowwwwwwwwww lines...

I go to the Vernon target before Walmart as well. That's going to be a huge blow for a mall that is already teetering. as far as the retail model being dead (another poster), that's fine and good if the cost of shipping didn't make it significantly more expensive to buy retail goods.

So much for a strong economy, eh? Harper?

To be honest, any one individual running the country is too easy of a target.

Seems like mismanagement cost them, rather than the people of Canada. Our taxes are generally too high. The overhead will automatically be higher here.

Because Harper is also running Target? Maybe we should start blaming Obama too since he is ruining the US economy further, thus placing less demand for Canadian exports. lol

Canadians aren't really shopping less, just we know there are better places to shop. Target just seemed like a re-branded Zellers, with none of the cache of the Bay and without being able to collect HBC points. Stuff weren't really any cheaper and the selections were a bit dull.

Target will probably do the "Blame Canada" routine.... even though they gave us a pretty crappy product to begin with.

Not to mention the people from the oil patch.

This month has to be worst for unemployment numbers..

Mass layoffs at the oil patch, sony stores closing, and now 17k unemployed target workers.

But is it bad that I am secretly happy about the oil patch layoffs?

All those guys I know that didn't finish high school are frack now and their lifted trucks will be on sale!

They had to abide by Canadian laws, so they weren't allowed to price the items like they could in the U.S.A..

I wonder if the lack of success will deter Canadians from going to Targets in the U.S., although the one in the U.S. is much better, it might be stigmatized by its poor experience in Canada.

Went to the one in Las Vegas and it was super empty aswell it was just as $&!#ty as the ones up here.

I remember when the Target in Surrey Central opened, I found a copy of The Big Bang Theory Season 5 (I think) had a $10 sticker tag on the cover when the normal price tag was $44.99. I showed a Target employee and the manager said it was their mistake and gave it to me for $10. Only time I ever visited Target to be honest. I was excited to have it here, and when I saw that there was nothing comparable to the US, I just said screw it and didn't go anymore.

Because Harper is also running Target? Maybe we should start blaming Obama too since he is ruining the US economy further, thus placing less demand for Canadian exports. lol

Canadians aren't really shopping less, just we know there are better places to shop. Target just seemed like a re-branded Zellers, with none of the cache of the Bay and without being able to collect HBC points. Stuff weren't really any cheaper and the selections were a bit dull.

Target will probably do the "Blame Canada" routine.... even though they gave us a pretty crappy product to begin with.

They stopped HBC Reward Points... I was pissed when it happened lol lost so many.

Interesting thought, but definitely no.

People aren't going to pass off a good deal if they see one, for starters. Also, most of the complaints coming from Target shoppers were about the pricing difference found in the US and in Canada. They just couldn't have been bothered to go to the US if they could avoid it.

I feel sorry for all those employees...what a drag....we go to the one in Vernon every now and then - cleaner and better organized than the Wallmart.

I hate Wallmart. They jam so much stuff in the aisles you'd think they would get fined for violating a fire code or something.

Complete and utter chaos.

Not to mention the slowwwwwwwwww lines...

That's why Walmart is a success compared to Target, they have plenty of stock. So much stock in the aisles, why is that a bad thing? That means more selection. Long lines, that mean the store is popular. No different than lineups at a restaurant. You know a business is doing good when there lots of people there. Obviously there is fast lineups when there are no customers in Target.

Target seems sterile with the wide aisles with no stock. I don't mind a chaotic store as long as they have selection and good prices.

It was inevitable. Retail is a dead model. With the internet there's no reason the consumer shouldn't be able to but directly from the producer at a wholesale price. Time to get rid of the middle men.

Except you know, there are these things called jobs that give people money, which in turn allow people to buy food and not live off the government which helps keep taxes low. There is a price to pay for low prices.

Sears is next. Many towns,..have only on-line/catalogue outlets or clearance centres for returned & damaged goods.... that's all we may see left of that iconic retail giant soon.

I agree that our society seems over-due for 'economical' change. Over-production is killing our planet. Ritually bailing-out millionaires from their bad business practices....is ridiculous. Get a hobby that provides you with a little home-based income. Shop local & fresh,..or freeze-dried meats & produce. We're pretty wasteful in Nth America. Get an attitude-check, everyone.

Does this planet really need a gazillion more plastic tree ornaments...or the many shelves in warehouse-sized retail outlets to display them on? Convenience to me,...is making stuff at home yourself.

Instead of another thread, maybe the title of this one could be:

Retailers shutting down in Canada 2015.

Sony to close all 14 Canadian retail locations in next two months; 90 jobs cut

By The Canadian Press | The Canadian Press – 2 hours 59 minutes ago

By The Canadian Press

TORONTO - Sony Corp. says it is closing all 14 retail stores in Canada as it refocuses its business.

The Japanese electronics company says the closures will result in 90 layoffs.

Spokesman Ved Khan said the stores will be closed over the next six to eight weeks.

Sony Corp. has been scaling back its business in Canada for the past year and has already shut several locations, including one at the Toronto Eaton Centre.

The retailer currently has stores in Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec City, Vancouver, Toronto and Alberta.

Sony said customers will still be able to purchase the company's merchandise through third-party retailers and its website.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/sony-close-14-canadian-retail-locations-next-two-192923680.html

That's why Walmart is a success compared to Target, they have plenty of stock. So much stock in the aisles, why is that a bad thing? That means more selection. Long lines, that mean the store is popular. No different than lineups at a restaurant. You know a business is doing good when there lots of people there. Obviously there is fast lineups when there are no customers in Target.

Target seems sterile with the wide aisles with no stock. I don't mind a chaotic store as long as they have selection and good prices.

It's a bad thing because they sell crappy products. More selection means more crappy products.

Instead of another thread, maybe the title of this one could be:

Retailers shutting down in Canada 2015.

Sony to close all 14 Canadian retail locations in next two months; 90 jobs cut

By The Canadian Press | The Canadian Press – 2 hours 59 minutes ago

By The Canadian Press

TORONTO - Sony Corp. says it is closing all 14 retail stores in Canada as it refocuses its business.

The Japanese electronics company says the closures will result in 90 layoffs.

Spokesman Ved Khan said the stores will be closed over the next six to eight weeks.

Sony Corp. has been scaling back its business in Canada for the past year and has already shut several locations, including one at the Toronto Eaton Centre.

The retailer currently has stores in Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec City, Vancouver, Toronto and Alberta.

Sony said customers will still be able to purchase the company's merchandise through third-party retailers and its website.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/sony-close-14-canadian-retail-locations-next-two-192923680.html

I was just gonna post this. Sony stores are actually kinda cool, but I would never buy anything from them, mostly because their staff knows jack about higher end products.

Archived