The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Target Canada shutting down all 133 stores, 17,600 losing jobs.

AriGold

The problem would then be an even crappier economy for Canada with more jobs lost. Do you want to see more people waiting at the welfare lines? Its all good and dandy but you also have to think of people who get laid off and the unemployment rate going up. More companies closing their businesses and shops in Canada is never a good thing for the Canadian economy when they should be promoting more companies to open up their businesses here.

They never should have come here in the first place. How many jobs did they kill in the process of taking over the market? Walmart is well known for driving down wages and destroying the small businesses. This is especially true in smaller towns.

Canada needs more Canadian owned businesses. Not American businesses that send their profits back to the USA.

People talk all the time how they are sick and tired of Canada being sold out from under them, but they seem to have no problem shopping at American chains.

At any rate, I will continue to avoid them as much as possible and shop at locally owned businesses whenever possible.

They stopped HBC Reward Points... I was pissed when it happened lol lost so many.

don't know where you heard that, they are still being used at the stores. They just changed how much each point is worth relative to how much you spend. I lady I was dealing with had 80,000 points and all of a sudden they turned into 10,000 and I had to explain to her that she could still buy the same amount of goods as she could with 80,000.

The end result is fewer points needed to buy the goods so its actually beneficial for the consumer.

Back on topic, the big loser in this is Zellers, as it got acquired now has most of its stores closed down, maybe it might have done better if it was still open. I used to go to the one near brentwood when I was a kid. O the memories I have at that place esp the restaurant....(starts crying)

Meh. Some of us want cheap stuff, because we have kids in sports and don't make a lot of money.

Can you hear me from up on that high horse?

But seriously, most cheap stuff isn't actually cheaper in the long run.

You end up buying more of them because they're crap and break which perpetuates polution/climate change, pillaging developing countries and and the deterioration of the middle class in North America. But you got a cheap thingambob! Yay you! :towel:

That's just competition. Walmart sell crappy stuff... if I don't want crappy stuff, I shop elsewhere. Places that sell higher quality goods gets my business and those businesses profits.

If a smaller business has something worth supporting, I'll support them. I regularly shop at Superstore/Walmart, but I still swing by Stevenson for salmon, sometimes even paying a premium for it. I check out those Farmer's Market once in a while to get some fruits/veggies, weather depending. When I want a new laptop or some parts for my PC, I go to NCIX. Fashion/clothing, across the border or overseas. Sports clothing, MEC or whatever. Businesses that adapts still prosper.

The whole "Walmart is evil" mantra doesn't hold much water as some would like you to believe.

I'm not saying they are evil, just that their business model is horrible for everyone involved except those at the top. Customers get crappy products, employees have crappy jobs, neighborhoods get crappy land use, etc.

They never should have come here in the first place. How many jobs did they kill in the process of taking over the market? Walmart is well known for driving down wages and destroying the small businesses. This is especially true in smaller towns.

Canada needs more Canadian owned businesses. Not American businesses that send their profits back to the USA.

People talk all the time how they are sick and tired of Canada being sold out from under them, but they seem to have no problem shopping at American chains.

At any rate, I will continue to avoid them as much as possible and shop at locally owned businesses whenever possible.

I have been shopping at Superstore on Grandview Hwy for 15 years now and when the Costco moved away and Walmart came in its spot, everything changed forever.

Literally half the customers went over to Walmart (all the people who got swayed by their marketing). I still shop at superstore but I also go to walmart as well because some things (like their milk) are better quality and lower priced. But I checked on my own and a lot of their stuff is the same price as superstore( the large majority are actually). So for the items that are the same I get them from superstore but for the items I get a deal on I get them from Walmart (70/30 ratio).

Sadly a lot of customers completely left superstore for good to go to walmart and they don't know about this. When walmart came then it was announced that superstore would finally renovate that store. Its been 5 years I think but the store has finally recovered from the Walmart move there. But point is whenever Walmart comes they make a huge impact wherever they go, but my superstore is lucky that it recovered (cause its renovations give it a huge edge over the walmart which must have the ugliest flooring I have ever seen, its like your in some warehouse). Its mostly back and forth competition now but for the longest time superstore was A LOT emptier.

i shop at wally world for very few select items. (cheap socks, 20 pack for 10 bucks!)

i would never buy tools or computers or tv's there, the quality and price just isnt there....I depend on my tools and electronics for my business so i need quality. Walmart's not even really cheaper on those items anyways, just cheaper quality brands and models.

across the street from walmart is no frills...and they often seem to be a few cents cheaper than wally on most grocery items i see, but not always.

Princess Auto, Canadian Tire, Home Hardware, Bestbuy, NCIX and Memory Express FTW!

You end up buying more of them because they're crap and break which perpetuates polution/climate change, pillaging developing countries and and the deterioration of the middle class in North America. But you got a cheap thingambob! Yay you! :towel:

Well, for instance, I bought the 22" Samsung monitor that I'm looking at right now and a Sony Blu-Ray player, both for Christmas and both about $20-$30 cheaper than other stores in town were charging for the exact same item.

Yay me, indeed.

Well, for instance, I bought the 22" Samsung monitor that I'm looking at right now and a Sony Blu-Ray player, both for Christmas and both about $20-$30 cheaper than other stores in town were charging for the exact same item.

Yay me, indeed.

Like I said, your $20-$30 cheaper trinkets are:

...perpetuates polution/climate change, pillaging developing countries and and the deterioration of the middle class in North America.

I am not sure how Sears could possibly afford let alone employ ex-Target employees, but good gesture on them.

TORONTO - Sears Canada is reaching out to workers affected by the exit of American retailer Target from the Canadian market.

Target announced on Thursday that it will close 133 stores across the country by early June, with 17,600 employees -- 700 in Manitoba -- losing their jobs.

Sears says it's extending a special offer to Target Canada employees and is encouraging those interested in job opportunities at Sears to visit its website.

In a statement on Friday, Sears says there will also be an open invitation to Target Canada head office employees for a meet-and-greet with Sears executives and human resources experts on Jan. 21 in Toronto.Beginning early next week, Sears says the site will publish information on special events regarding career opportunities such as local job fairs across Canada.

The retailer also says it will offer affected Target Canada employees the Sears Canada employee discount for a period of 16 weeks, beginning on Jan. 21.

Read more: http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/sears-offering-jobs-discounts-to-workers-affected-by-target-exit-from-canada-1.2193574#ixzz3P7hN1IlC

There's the real problem. Too many people want crappy stuff.

I don't want crappy things, but I have to buy them because I'm a poor student. I shop at places like walmart for simple necessities like food and socks and such. It would be nice to shop at farmers markets and small businesses, but I don't have the luxury of paying higher prices for things just because it supports locals or makes a political statement. Maybe one day I'll be able to vote with my dollars, but for now it makes the most sense for me to just buy the cheapest thing, especially when other places sell the exact same product for more money,

Poor people aren't known for thinking long term, mainly because they can't afford to. And many people shop at Walmart because they can afford more stuff than by shopping elsewhere on their limited budgets. Poor people don't buy cheap stuff and expect it to last as long as premium (much of which comes off the same production lines and don't actually last any longer), they buy it because they can't afford the other stuff.

So yay, you have a cheap set of utensils now instead of eating your food with your fingers.

That's just competition. Walmart sell crappy stuff... if I don't want crappy stuff, I shop elsewhere. Places that sell higher quality goods gets my business and those businesses profits.

If a smaller business has something worth supporting, I'll support them. I regularly shop at Superstore/Walmart, but I still swing by Stevenson for salmon, sometimes even paying a premium for it. I check out those Farmer's Market once in a while to get some fruits/veggies, weather depending. When I want a new laptop or some parts for my PC, I go to NCIX. Fashion/clothing, across the border or overseas. Sports clothing, MEC or whatever. Businesses that adapts still prosper.

The whole "Walmart is evil" mantra doesn't hold much water as some would like you to believe.

Of course Walmart is not evil, it's just a store. Their practices, however, are economically detrimental to any area they open up in.

Sure, you can go to specialty stores to buy certain things. Many people can't. They can't afford to. Or they can't go to all the different places in the same time as one-stop shopping at Walmart. There are many reasons why people do many things, shouldn't expect people to behave the way you do. Especially people who can only afford to shop at Walmart, like their employees.

Walmart's economies of scale means they can achieve the same results at cheaper costs than local stores, hence they push everyone out. And because of efficiency, they can achieve the same result with less employees. So what's the result? Money spent at Walmart isn't part of a local economy beyond the minimum wages paid to workers. More unemployed people. Less economic activity as Walmart pays lower wages than local shops do. Walmart is good for no one but its shareholders when it opens up.

The walmart bashing in here is pure comedy. They are in fact the largest grocer in the US what are these crappy goods people keep talking about ? WTF are they on. It is the same exact product at every store, just marked up beyond comprehension. Can of soup at wal mart 2.00 Same can of soup at sobey's 3.50 @ superstore 2.75 @ safeway 2.95 ?

So now that the bottom of the oil barrel has fallen out will we see a drop in goods and services ? They have to make up the margin somehow these greedy bastards.

Wal mart has buying power and that means they sell their products, the same products at all the other stores. I shop for specific items at specific places because of specific prices. If you dont then you are throwing your money away.

The only reason why people bash wal mart is because they feels the are to good to walk into a store more than half the populace does to buy items.

This.

Walmart's economies of scale means they can achieve the same results at cheaper costs than local stores, hence they push everyone out. And because of efficiency, they can achieve the same result with less employees. So what's the result? Money spent at Walmart isn't part of a local economy beyond the minimum wages paid to workers. More unemployed people. Less economic activity as Walmart pays lower wages than local shops do. Walmart is good for no one but its shareholders when it opens up.

Retail is generally a low paying job except for a few unionized places like Safeway. Local stores pay minimum wages, especially the mon and pop family runned stores. Why is Walmart singled out when almost every retail pay minimum wage in the beginning. Target pays minimum wage, as did Zellers before them.

Ethnic stores pay minimum wage. You think stores in Chinatown pay their workers $20 a hour? If the owners themeselves could get $20 a hour they will out there working for others rather than running a store with all the headaches.

This.

The guy in the post your referring to is using flawed logic. I did my own research and noticed that not all of the goods at walmart are cheaper, (some are but some are actually MORE then the other stores). If you think EVERYTHING is cheaper at Walmart, you are being persuaded by their marketing. They also don't have the selection that stores like superstore have.

For example try to buy chicken hot dogs from them and they offer, the expensive ones that superstore offers at the SAME price. And they offer this 12 pack which is cheaper then superstores cheapest 12 pack but it taste like crap, each specific hot dog is smaller and it goes bad faster. At superstore I can actually enjoy their no name brand hot dogs and just have to pay 50 cents more to do that.

I am not saying that they are evil or anything just that people who shop there believing EVERYTHING at walmart is cheaper are missing out. I shop there too, just don't buy everything there.

Archived