The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Target Canada shutting down all 133 stores, 17,600 losing jobs.

AriGold

Poor people aren't known for thinking long term, mainly because they can't afford to. And many people shop at Walmart because they can afford more stuff than by shopping elsewhere on their limited budgets. Poor people don't buy cheap stuff and expect it to last as long as premium (much of which comes off the same production lines and don't actually last any longer), they buy it because they can't afford the other stuff.

So yay, you have a cheap set of utensils now instead of eating your food with your fingers.

Of course Walmart is not evil, it's just a store. Their practices, however, are economically detrimental to any area they open up in.

Sure, you can go to specialty stores to buy certain things. Many people can't. They can't afford to. Or they can't go to all the different places in the same time as one-stop shopping at Walmart. There are many reasons why people do many things, shouldn't expect people to behave the way you do. Especially people who can only afford to shop at Walmart, like their employees.

Walmart's economies of scale means they can achieve the same results at cheaper costs than local stores, hence they push everyone out. And because of efficiency, they can achieve the same result with less employees. So what's the result? Money spent at Walmart isn't part of a local economy beyond the minimum wages paid to workers. More unemployed people. Less economic activity as Walmart pays lower wages than local shops do. Walmart is good for no one but its shareholders when it opens up.

But if Superstore does the exact same thing, suddenly it's ok because they're "Canadian"?

Most of the products are pretty much identical to whatever you can find in Safeway or Superstore... usually from the same supplier too. So why should you pay more for it when you can get it cheaper?

Should those who aren't able to shop around be forced to pay MORE for the same goods elsewhere just because it supposedly protects Canadian jobs?

People here are probably less well off due to the economic environment in Vancouver, rather than specifically people earning minimum wage. Walmart probably helps more people by giving them affordable options.

Walmart is a global company with shareholders/bond holders across the world, so it's not like all profits are all send to the US and never returns. Costco is a US company, yet we rarely hear any bad things about them. Superstore has lots of shareholders from overseas, perhaps a large portion by American investors... so why no "Superstore is bad for local jobs" mantra?

Of course Walmart is not evil, it's just a store. Their practices, however, are economically detrimental to any area they open up in.

Sure, you can go to specialty stores to buy certain things. Many people can't. They can't afford to. Or they can't go to all the different places in the same time as one-stop shopping at Walmart. There are many reasons why people do many things, shouldn't expect people to behave the way you do. Especially people who can only afford to shop at Walmart, like their employees.

Walmart's economies of scale means they can achieve the same results at cheaper costs than local stores, hence they push everyone out. And because of efficiency, they can achieve the same result with less employees. So what's the result? Money spent at Walmart isn't part of a local economy beyond the minimum wages paid to workers. More unemployed people. Less economic activity as Walmart pays lower wages than local shops do. Walmart is good for no one but its shareholders when it opens up.

I have to respectfully disagree with most of what you have said. When a Walmart opens up in a new area it brings a lot of jobs with it - not just for Walmart but all of the other stores that come with it. Think about it, when a Walmart opens up it isn't alone for very long. Pretty soon you see McDonalds, Future Shops, etc all popping up around the Walmart; thus there is a net surplus of jobs, not more unemployed people.

Walmart does pays lower wages, but they also employ portions of the population that are often marginalized: the elderly, physically disabled and students.

Sure, they don't pay enough to let someone live a comfortable lifestyle, but then again are they supposed to? Do people judge McDonalds, Starbucks, Best Buy, etc for not paying their employees enough to become upper-working class?

I'm not in love with Walmart, but I do think they get a bad rap - it's very fashionable to hate on them. I do find it quite amusing that it's okay to hate Walmart but not IKEA. Think about it, IKEA is to furniture what Walmart is to retail.

I have to respectfully disagree with most of what you have said. When a Walmart opens up in a new area it brings a lot of jobs with it - not just for Walmart but all of the other stores that come with it. Think about it, when a Walmart opens up it isn't alone for very long. Pretty soon you see McDonalds, Future Shops, etc all popping up around the Walmart; thus there is a net surplus of jobs, not more unemployed people.

Walmart does pays lower wages, but they also employ portions of the population that are often marginalized: the elderly, physically disabled and students.

Sure, they don't pay enough to let someone live a comfortable lifestyle, but then again are they supposed to? Do people judge McDonalds, Starbucks, Best Buy, etc for not paying their employees enough to become upper-working class?

I'm not in love with Walmart, but I do think they get a bad rap - it's very fashionable to hate on them. I do find it quite amusing that it's okay to hate Walmart but not IKEA. Think about it, IKEA is to furniture what Walmart is to retail.

The line of reasoning for Walmart as a job killer is that a Walmart kills small businesses in the area. Small businesses employ more people per customer (thus less efficient) than box stores.

McD's and Starbucks etc are labour intensive businesses, and they do employ 'marginalized' people such as students etc, so we don't hate them, at least not as much.

IKEA's products are extremely affordable compared to other furniture retailers, not just 10% or 20% cheaper like Walmart when compared to other grocers or electronic retailers. You are sometimes talking about half or a third of the price for good enough quality and style.

what do farmer's markets have to do with hipsters? I've been selling at our local farmer's market for almost 15 years and I see a huge variety of people, all of whom would rather put $ into the hands of local farmers/artisans than a corporation........with the added benefit of knowing where their food comes from.

Hey, I like the farmer's market too. But I don't feel upity by going nor do I look down my nose at people that would rather stay home and watch TV.

They never should have come here in the first place. How many jobs did they kill in the process of taking over the market? Walmart is well known for driving down wages and destroying the small businesses. This is especially true in smaller towns.

Canada needs more Canadian owned businesses. Not American businesses that send their profits back to the USA.

People talk all the time how they are sick and tired of Canada being sold out from under them, but they seem to have no problem shopping at American chains.

At any rate, I will continue to avoid them as much as possible and shop at locally owned businesses whenever possible.

Canadians can by shares in Walmart. That portion of Walmart would be Canadian owned....

I feel sorry for all those employees...what a drag....we go to the one in Vernon every now and then - cleaner and better organized than the Wallmart.

I hate Wallmart. They jam so much stuff in the aisles you'd think they would get fined for violating a fire code or something.

Complete and utter chaos.

Not to mention the slowwwwwwwwww lines...

Maybe. And when the business is wealthier than that of small countries, they can pay these sorts of people to go away.

Maybe. And when the business is wealthier than that of small countries, they can pay these sorts of people to go away.

That would be a case of some serious corruption. Do you have any evidence for this or is anything, real or imagined, fair game when looking to trash them for whatever reason?

The line of reasoning for Walmart as a job killer is that a Walmart kills small businesses in the area. Small businesses employ more people per customer (thus less efficient) than box stores.

McD's and Starbucks etc are labour intensive businesses, and they do employ 'marginalized' people such as students etc, so we don't hate them, at least not as much.

IKEA's products are extremely affordable compared to other furniture retailers, not just 10% or 20% cheaper like Walmart when compared to other grocers or electronic retailers. You are sometimes talking about half or a third of the price for good enough quality and style.

You can say all big stores are job killers. Ikea, Superstore, Best Buy, Safeway, Canadian Tire take away businesses from small buisiness. How about the days before there were no Big Box stores, or even when there were no malls. The first malls appear after WWII; before then everything was bought through local shops. In the 1910's to 1940's people bought meat from local butcher shops, baked stuff from bakeries, hardware from hardware stores, etc.

But if Superstore does the exact same thing, suddenly it's ok because they're "Canadian"?

Most of the products are pretty much identical to whatever you can find in Safeway or Superstore... usually from the same supplier too. So why should you pay more for it when you can get it cheaper?

Should those who aren't able to shop around be forced to pay MORE for the same goods elsewhere just because it supposedly protects Canadian jobs?

People here are probably less well off due to the economic environment in Vancouver, rather than specifically people earning minimum wage. Walmart probably helps more people by giving them affordable options.

Walmart is a global company with shareholders/bond holders across the world, so it's not like all profits are all send to the US and never returns. Costco is a US company, yet we rarely hear any bad things about them. Superstore has lots of shareholders from overseas, perhaps a large portion by American investors... so why no "Superstore is bad for local jobs" mantra?

cause by paying more your getting good quality for many items.

Whatever is cheaper there that is the same item I buy there. But if something is cheaper and is a different item (that usually is crappy quality) why would I pay the cheaper price when for 20 cents more I can get something way better.

You can say all big stores are job killers. Ikea, Superstore, Best Buy, Safeway, Canadian Tire take away businesses from small buisiness. How about the days before there were no Big Box stores, or even when there were no malls. The first malls appear after WWII; before then everything was bought through local shops. In the 1910's to 1940's people bought meat from local butcher shops, baked stuff from bakeries, hardware from hardware stores, etc.

You can yes. That's why I said small businesses are less efficient.

IKEA is a different beast altogether though. Because of their unique and very successful and business model, they DO offer something the market needs very badly, and not merely replace small business with a big one.

The guy in the post your referring to is using flawed logic. I did my own research and noticed that not all of the goods at walmart are cheaper, (some are but some are actually MORE then the other stores). If you think EVERYTHING is cheaper at Walmart, you are being persuaded by their marketing. They also don't have the selection that stores like superstore have.

For example try to buy chicken hot dogs from them and they offer, the expensive ones that superstore offers at the SAME price. And they offer this 12 pack which is cheaper then superstores cheapest 12 pack but it taste like crap, each specific hot dog is smaller and it goes bad faster. At superstore I can actually enjoy their no name brand hot dogs and just have to pay 50 cents more to do that.

I am not saying that they are evil or anything just that people who shop there believing EVERYTHING at walmart is cheaper are missing out. I shop there too, just don't buy everything there.

I do not think everything is cheaper at walmart and as i stated only go for a few specific items. You know craptickets can get pretty expensive lol.

I do however know their sale prices for specific items are listed more frequently for substantially lower prices, their produce in my area has some of the best pick out of all the stores I have been too. Of course you dont buy tools or furniture or expensive gadgetry.

The real power lies with the dollars in your pocket and where you choose to spend them. Speak with your wallets and sh.. will change.

Superstores are the worst run stores on the planet. Worst sale pricing i have ever seen. The stores are filthy. PC products taste worse than card board why would anyone buy no name is beyond me. Sobeys by far have the worst employees ever. Produce that is rotting for the highest price possible prices, sale prices that are not even close to the original price for the same item at the competitors.

Yes ice cream from wal mart melts when left on the counter, yes the bottle of Mobil 1 has the same oil in it at Parts Source or CT. CT's prices are insane. What were they thinking when they started selling everything under the sun ? Also another one of the worst run chains in Canada.

Princess auto is the dollar store of the automotive world. The cheapest of the cheap counterfeit goods. Being a car guy and tinkerer I love breaking and fixing things. When i do cruise through Princes Auto I am amazed at the piles of useless crap they attempt to unload. All the retailers in the world have lost site of quality goods for reasonable prices

All major chains sell crap goods. All major chains mark up their crap goods.

When Walmart opened up in Nelson the town was fine at first. Then the Hippies freaked out because no body was shopping At community natural foods paying the most unrealistic prices for extremely mediocre organic products. Many close to expiry and again clueless customer service.

Then they ran walmart out of town down to Castlegar and now the gas stations are raking it in because many now drive to Castlegar to do some shopping.

Nelsonites bitched and moaned about the Walmart that was set up in the derelict mall. Utilizing a business space and creating some commerce, albeit through a major box chain.

Now they bitch and moan becasue they have no viable alternative to the almost criminal gouging going on within the retail business community.

Rant all you want about Wal Mart but their are far worse companies with far worse business practices out there stealing our hard earned money.

You can yes. That's why I said small businesses are less efficient.

IKEA is a different beast altogether though. Because of their unique and very successful and business model, they DO offer something the market needs very badly, and not merely replace small business with a big one.

IKEA is Swedish for we will sell you China's cheapest crap and you will love it !

Exactly this Don. I may be defending Walmart but only because people think their goods are of lesser quality.

My friends and families still shop at the local butcher or call up a friend or 2 and go to the Hutterites for some great meats. Go to the local bakery and get fresh tasty breads. Shop at the local Fruiticana for produce. IF we all buy from the local community the community thrives.

When Walmart opened up in Nelson the town was fine at first. Then the Hippies freaked out because no body was shopping At community natural foods paying the most unrealistic prices for extremely mediocre organic products. Many close to expiry and again clueless customer service.

Then they ran walmart out of town down to Castlegar and now the gas stations are raking it in because many now drive to Castlegar to do some shopping.

Nelsonites bitched and moaned about the Walmart that was set up in the derelict mall. Utilizing a business space and creating some commerce, albeit through a major box chain.

Now they bitch and moan becasue they have no viable alternative to the almost criminal gouging going on within the retail business community.

Rant all you want about Wal Mart but their are far worse companies with far worse business practices out there stealing our hard earned money.

LOL...what the heck are you even talking about?

first of all, There IS a walmart in Nelson, alive and well and thriving.

second of all, there is NO walmart in Casltegar.

IKEA is Swedish for we will sell you China's cheapest crap and you will love it !

I spent less than $300 for a bed frame 10 years ago and it's still in perfect condition. We do love it. There is a reason why they move more furnitures than anyone else in the world. They do have cheaper stuff. You generally get what you pay for, but the price/quality ratio at IKEA works better in your favour than any other furniture outlets.

Walmart just sells what everyone sells for a few cents less (if that's even true). IKEA actually has an unique business model that has proven to be very successful.

LOL...what the heck are you even talking about?

first of all, There IS a walmart in Nelson, alive and well and thriving.

second of all, there is NO walmart in Casltegar.

My bad i messed that up Trail is where the monster wal mart is. Just talking with my bud in Nelson now I guess the town had tried but failed and then they just opened one up in trail ? The history of tenants in the mall is cloudy for me . I thought they were forced out but I guess not.

But I do remember when the Wal mart opened up the town and the especially the hippies tried very hard to push them out.

Those are Samsung Monitors and Sony Blu-Ray players. They are same quality products no matter where you buy them and how much you pay for them.

Yeah and the Sony, Samsung etc items sold at Walmart are their cheapest, lowest quality products. They're one slim step up from "disposable".

I wouldn't buy that crap at Walmart or another store regardless of where is cheaper. This is the "cheap crap" I was referring to earlier.

Archived