The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Target Canada shutting down all 133 stores, 17,600 losing jobs.

AriGold

Yeah and the Sony, Samsung etc items sold at Walmart are their cheapest, lowest quality products. They're one slim step up from "disposable".

It's true that Walmart does not sell the high end Sony Models like the XBR models, but Walmart do sell the low end models that are found at major retailers like Best Buy, Future Shop, Target, Superstore. And sometimes you can buy these low end models for a lower prices at Walmart than elsewhere.

But if Superstore does the exact same thing, suddenly it's ok because they're "Canadian"?

Most of the products are pretty much identical to whatever you can find in Safeway or Superstore... usually from the same supplier too. So why should you pay more for it when you can get it cheaper?

Should those who aren't able to shop around be forced to pay MORE for the same goods elsewhere just because it supposedly protects Canadian jobs?

People here are probably less well off due to the economic environment in Vancouver, rather than specifically people earning minimum wage. Walmart probably helps more people by giving them affordable options.

Walmart is a global company with shareholders/bond holders across the world, so it's not like all profits are all send to the US and never returns. Costco is a US company, yet we rarely hear any bad things about them. Superstore has lots of shareholders from overseas, perhaps a large portion by American investors... so why no "Superstore is bad for local jobs" mantra?

I never buy into these buy local and anti-big box stores and all the other crap. I just buy my products in the place that has reasonable prices and buy where ever is cheapest. Whether that be Costco, Superstores, Wal-mart, Target or some chinese seller on ebay. For me, savings is much more important than worrying about where that product came from or how this product got to be manufactured or if the store is a big box store or a local mom and pops store. In this day and age, its all about finding deals and bargains especially with the inflated prices that we have to deal. A lot of people now seem to be buying things online except for groceries, so this buying local thing will never be an attractive option for people who want to save especially when the prices are inflated.

yah, wal mart is a great grocery store if you're looking for cereal, doritos, factory farm meat, $2 cans of sodium

Hahah - totally. The meat there is ghetto.

I try to buy most things at Costco. Prices are always fair, service is good, and employees paid well.

For a while my wife and I would try the local farmers' markets here in Calgary, but the popular ones seemed to be going corporate too. Multiple markets had the same business, so they were chains of their own. And then the prices...I don't mind paying a little more for quality, and even a little more than that to support local ownership, but they were often flat-out ridiculous.

I have to respectfully disagree with most of what you have said. When a Walmart opens up in a new area it brings a lot of jobs with it - not just for Walmart but all of the other stores that come with it. Think about it, when a Walmart opens up it isn't alone for very long. Pretty soon you see McDonalds, Future Shops, etc all popping up around the Walmart; thus there is a net surplus of jobs, not more unemployed people.

Walmart does pays lower wages, but they also employ portions of the population that are often marginalized: the elderly, physically disabled and students.

Sure, they don't pay enough to let someone live a comfortable lifestyle, but then again are they supposed to? Do people judge McDonalds, Starbucks, Best Buy, etc for not paying their employees enough to become upper-working class?

I'm not in love with Walmart, but I do think they get a bad rap - it's very fashionable to hate on them. I do find it quite amusing that it's okay to hate Walmart but not IKEA. Think about it, IKEA is to furniture what Walmart is to retail.

Ikea Canada pays employees 2% above average for the market. Costco pays and incredible 13% above. Whereas Walmart pays 7% below.

(Source: www.payscale.com)

It's true that Walmart does not sell the high end Sony Models like the XBR models, but Walmart do sell the low end models that are found at major retailers like Best Buy, Future Shop, Target, Superstore. And sometimes you can buy these low end models for a lower prices at Walmart than elsewhere.

Yes, the cheap crap, I referred to earlier.

People want garbage instead of spending a bit more on something of higher quality that will last longer. Rampant, disposable consumerism. It's epidemic.

I'd rather have less stuff of better quality. Most people don't.

Yeah and the Sony, Samsung etc items sold at Walmart are their cheapest, lowest quality products. They're one slim step up from "disposable".

I wouldn't buy that crap at Walmart or another store regardless of where is cheaper. This is the "cheap crap" I was referring to earlier.

Now I don't presume to know every Sony TV model, but really how crap Samsung and Sony products get? They are all good quality reliable usable products. The worst of Sony/Samsung is still better than garage brands like Insignia.

Yes, the cheap crap, I referred to earlier.

People want garbage instead of spending a bit more on something of higher quality that will last longer. Rampant, disposable consumerism. It's epidemic.

I'd rather have less stuff of better quality. Most people don't.

This I agree. Especially when it comes to apparel.

Now I don't presume to know every Sony TV model, but really how crap Samsung and Sony products get? They are all good quality reliable usable products. The worst of Sony/Samsung is still better than garage brands like Insignia.

Further to that, Walmart does sell lower-priced "no-name" brands. (For instance, they sell a brand called "Emerson", which is significantly cheaper than Sony or Samsung)

For the most part I avoid those, although I did buy my daughter a slightly lower priced RCA TV for Christmas.

Actually in some instances the Insignia stuff or other similar brand stuff is actually better than the models from the brand name stuff at a place like Wall Mart. All of the components in your example Insignia TV are manufactured and purchased from companies like LG, Sharp or Samsung. Quite often certain models are actually comparable to a mid range Samsung or LG ect and are way better than the cheapo models at Wall Mart or Target.

This is why places like Wall Mart succeed though, uneducated consumer choices.

Further to that, Walmart does sell lower-priced "no-name" brands. (For instance, they sell a brand called "Emerson", which is significantly cheaper than Sony or Samsung)

For the most part I avoid those, although I did buy my daughter a slightly lower priced RCA TV for Christmas.

RCA is still a fairly recognizable name brand. I bought one of those for the bedroom and it works great.

Here in Prince George, it will be interesting to see what takes place of Target. Target didn't really provide us with anything we didn't already have. It didn't provide lower prices. It didn't have anything you'd want to go to Target for specifically. As a result, I had a feeling it wasn't going to do well.

Before Target, we had Zellers, which seemed fairly popular. Target seemed to align itself with competitors like Sears (which ironically is in the same mall) rather than with Walmart which Zellers aligned itself with.

Here in Prince George, it will be interesting to see what takes place of Target. Target didn't really provide us with anything we didn't already have. It didn't provide lower prices. It didn't have anything you'd want to go to Target for specifically. As a result, I had a feeling it wasn't going to do well.

Before Target, we had Zellers, which seemed fairly popular. Target seemed to align itself with competitors like Sears (which ironically is in the same mall) rather than with Walmart which Zellers aligned itself with.

The zellers that was there before was a giant $#!thole. So I don't think anyone will miss that.

I actually like having target there, since I don't ever shop at Wall Mart. It was convenient for me to go pick up a box of diapers and wipes, or milk or that kind of stuff. The prices were really basically the same as wall mart, not sure where everyone came to the conclusion that the prices were higher, and then they give you 5% off on everything with the redcard. They also price match anyone, even Canadian websites. I had several things price matched in just a couple min. The store is in a way more central location, it's way cleaner and easy to find items, customer service is/was way better.

I'm actually a bit disappointed that it's closing. I suppose half the reason I liked it though was because most of the scrubs at Wall mart stayed at Wall mart so I didn't have to see them. I mean you walk into wall mart here and it's straight up cross between a homeless shelter and a trailer park, with every unshowered greasy person in there pj's crawling over pallets of $#!t in every isle. They get all excited about the factory meat, chocolate cheerios, bulk pack wife beaters and cheap dvd players.

That would be a case of some serious corruption. Do you have any evidence for this or is anything, real or imagined, fair game when looking to trash them for whatever reason?

Keep in mind Walwart has been the subject of countless discriminations lawsuits, been sued multiple times for selling fake designer clothing, has pulled products off the shelf rather than disclose the country of origin (safe bet it was a country with no child labour laws and/or sweatshop conditions), rakes in astonomical amounts of money, yet pays their employees next to nothing, in fact they have the gall to set up food banks in their stores for their own employees rather than pay them a living wage. They are also notorious for buying out other companies, then closing only the unionized stores.

The zellers that was there before was a giant $#!thole. So I don't think anyone will miss that.

I actually like having target there, since I don't ever shop at Wall Mart. It was convenient for me to go pick up a box of diapers and wipes, or milk or that kind of stuff. The prices were really basically the same as wall mart, not sure where everyone came to the conclusion that the prices were higher, and then they give you 5% off on everything with the redcard. They also price match anyone, even Canadian websites. I had several things price matched in just a couple min. The store is in a way more central location, it's way cleaner and easy to find items, customer service is/was way better.

I'm actually a bit disappointed that it's closing. I suppose half the reason I liked it though was because most of the scrubs at Wall mart stayed at Wall mart so I didn't have to see them. I mean you walk into wall mart here and it's straight up cross between a homeless shelter and a trailer park, with every unshowered greasy person in there pj's crawling over pallets of $#!t in every isle. They get all excited about the factory meat, chocolate cheerios, bulk pack wife beaters and cheap dvd players.

Is that because it's Walmart or because it's PG?

Keep in mind Walwart has been the subject of countless discriminations lawsuits, been sued multiple times for selling fake designer clothing, has pulled products off the shelf rather than disclose the country of origin (safe bet it was a country with no child labour laws and/or sweatshop conditions), rakes in astonomical amounts of money, yet pays their employees next to nothing, in fact they have the gall to set up food banks in their stores for their own employees rather than pay them a living wage. They are also notorious for buying out other companies, then closing only the unionized stores.

If they make so much money buy shares and then not only can you share but you can vote out the people making the decisions.

As a publicly traded company they have to play by the same rules as every other publicly traded company which are more onereous especially with regards to the accounting paper trail you have to publicy disclose than you think.

If you feel that the pay is not enough lobby for higher minimum wages. It's Walmart's fudiciary responsibility to make as much money as possible and to cut costs as much as they legally can. They just happen to be good at it due to their size.

Archived