The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Target Canada shutting down all 133 stores, 17,600 losing jobs.

AriGold

If they make so much money buy shares and then not only can you share but you can vote out the people making the decisions.

As a publicly traded company they have to play by the same rules as every other publicly traded company which are more onereous especially with regards to the accounting paper trail you have to publicy disclose than you think.

If you feel that the pay is not enough lobby for higher minimum wages. It's Walmart's fudiciary responsibility to make as much money as possible and to cut costs as much as they legally can. They just happen to be good at it due to their size.

Wow, its been a long time since I've seen anyone miss the point so badly, are you truly that dim or did you deliberatly ignore the unethical business practices I pointed out (sexual discrimination, fake desinger clothing, child labour & sweat shops)? If I don't shop Walmart due to their lack of ethics why in Hel would I buy shares in the company? This may be a shock to you, but life doesn't revolve around money, at least mine doesn't, I am not a materialistic person nor am I on an endless quest for more. I'll pay a little more to shop at a company who's business practices are more in line with my moral code. Walmart is the Johnny Rocco of the business world. I'm more of a Frank McLoud

http://www.plentyquotes.com/movie-q/Key-Largo/quote-2.html

Wow, its been a long time since I've seen anyone miss the point so badly, are you truly that dim or did you deliberatly ignore the unethical business practices I pointed out (sexual discrimination, fake desinger clothing, child labour & sweat shops)? If I don't shop Walmart due to their lack of ethics why in Hel would I buy shares in the company? This may be a shock to you, but life doesn't revolve around money, at least mine doesn't, I am not a materialistic person nor am I on an endless quest for more. I'll pay a little more to shop at a company who's business practices are more in line with my moral code. Walmart is the Johnny Rocco of the business world. I'm more of a Frank McLoud

http://www.plentyquotes.com/movie-q/Key-Largo/quote-2.html

If you don't shop there then what's the big deal?

If you feel that there's sexual discrimination, there are existing laws against that.

If you feel the products are inferior, don't buy them.

If you don't like the sweat shops, I sure hope you aren't putting your responses here with an Apple device!

If you feel that there's sexual discrimination, there are existing laws against that.

If you don't like the sweat shops, I sure hope you aren't putting your responses here with an Apple device!

It really about freedom of choice. No one is forcing anyone to shop anywhere. There are plenty of stores besides Walmart to shop it but enough people do shop at Walmart to make it successful.

As for the argument that Walmart sells crappy stuff from China or 3rd world countries, ALL stores sell stuff from Asian countries. Most clothing come from China, Bangladesh, Vietnam, etc, even the name brands like Polo, Gap, Armani, Banana Republic, are made in China or other places in Asia. You notice even handbags like Coach, Michael Kors, that cost hundreds of dollars are made in China.

That goes for electronics too, the higher end TVs some people keep referring to, are made overseas, in China or elsewhere. That goes for all computers, phones, etc besides Apple, they are made in China.

Walmart is facing over a BILLION dollars in Sex discrimination lawsuits, I said FAKE DESINGER products not inferior, maybe you should get a grown up to read and explain my posts, I must be using too many big words, or are you a Wal Mart manager trying to justify their unethical as well as ILLEGAL activities?

Walmart is facing over a BILLION dollars in Sex discrimination lawsuits, I said FAKE DESINGER products not inferior, maybe you should get a grown up to read and explain my posts, I must be using too many big words, or are you a Wal Mart manager trying to justify their unethical as well as ILLEGAL activities?

If the suits are true then they will pay.

I thought it obvious that fake clothes would be inferior. Semantics.

As for the rest, irony......

It really about freedom of choice. No one is forcing anyone to shop anywhere. There are plenty of stores besides Walmart to shop it but enough people do shop at Walmart to make it successful.

As for the argument that Walmart sells crappy stuff from China or 3rd world countries, ALL stores sell stuff from Asian countries. Most clothing come from China, Bangladesh, Vietnam, etc, even the name brands like Polo, Gap, Armani, Banana Republic, are made in China or other places in Asia. You notice even handbags like Coach, Michael Kors, that cost hundreds of dollars are made in China.

That goes for electronics too, the higher end TVs some people keep referring to, are made overseas, in China or elsewhere. That goes for all computers, phones, etc besides Apple, they are made in China.

FWIW you can get quality products made in China and you can get lead-filled garbage that breaks in 9 months from China. The country of origin is not the issue IMO.

Also (speaking for myself), my issue isn't with the Walmarts of the world. I tend to agree(ish) with Ron that (other than the obvious legal issues Bill Sikes mentioned) companies should operate as they please (under the law and with appropriate oversight of those laws) and the market will support them or not.

My issue is with the ignorant and short sighted public who shop at places like them, buying cheap crap without realizing it's against their (and society's) best interests long term. It's no different than politics (not surprising given how closely corporations are tied with politics). People are ignorant of what's in their best long term interest. So they shop where they shouldn't (and vote for who they shouldn't).

The problem is ignorance.

The "market" may be supporting Walmart, but if people weren't so short sighted, it wouldn't. If people educated themselves, they'd shop elsewhere and/or force companies like Walmart to sell higher quality, more environmentally friendly goods and pay living wages to their employees.

My issue is with the ignorant and short sighted public who shop at places like them, buying cheap crap without realizing it's against their (and society's) best interests long term. It's no different than politics (not surprising given how closely corporations are tied with politics). People are ignorant of what's in their best long term interest. So they shop where they shouldn't (and vote for who they shouldn't).

The problem is ignorance.

My issue is with people who categorically state that any product purchased from a particular store automatically makes it "cheap crap".

Ignorance indeed...

My issue is with people who categorically state that any product purchased from a particular store automatically makes it "cheap crap".

Ignorance indeed...

I never stated that FTR. Nice strawman.

Again, the problem is people buying cheap crap. And not just from Walmart. People happily buy cheap crap from lots of places, Walmart just happens to be one of them (though I'm sure they sell some higher quality products as well).

Them not paying living wages is another reason to avoid shopping there.

The zellers that was there before was a giant $#!thole. So I don't think anyone will miss that.

I disagree, especailly considering how long it lasted. It wasn't the greatest of places, but I think it was more suited to Prince George than Target was. Target wasn't providing us with much of anything we didn't already have. It was a pretty large gamble on their part and they lost. It's simply not good business to jump into a market that already exists without providing something that wins people over and makes them prefer to go there than Sears or Walmart, or wherever else. For the majority of people, it's evident they didn't do that.

What I really think would work in Prince George would be an Ikea.

I never stated that FTR. Nice strawman.

Again, the problem is people buying cheap crap. And not just from Walmart. People happily buy cheap crap from lots of places, Walmart just happens to be one of them (though I'm sure they sell some higher quality products as well).

Them not paying living wages is another reason to avoid shopping there.

You didn't?

This wasn't you?

My issue is with the ignorant and short sighted public who shop at places like them, buying cheap crap

You didn't?

This wasn't you?

It was. Nowhere there does it say they only sell cheap crap as you were insinuating/trying to strawman. If you don't think people do indeed buy cheap crap from Walmart and places like it...

I think the comment of mine you quoted pretty clearly states my issue is people buying cheap crap period. Nowhere there does it say "Walmart only sells cheap crap". You're inferring something that simply isn't there.

Also, if you read other comments of mine, you'd see I'm quite clear that if people stopped buying cheap crap, places like Walmart would have to start selling better goods and we'd all be better off.

Their employee pay still sucks though. you can quote me all you like on that.

It was. Nowhere there does it say they only sell cheap crap as you were insinuating/trying to strawman. If you don't think people do indeed buy cheap crap from Walmart and places like it...

I think the comment of mine you quoted pretty clearly states my issue is people buying cheap crap period. Nowhere there does it say "Walmart only sells cheap crap". You're inferring something that simply isn't there.

Also, if you read other comments of mine, you'd see I'm quite clear that if people stopped buying cheap crap, places like Walmart would have to start selling better goods and we'd all be better off.

Their employee pay still sucks though. you can quote me all you like on that.

You'll have to excuse me if I misunderstand the point that you were trying to convey. When I pointed out that I had purchased brand named items by Samsung and Sony, you felt compelled to respond with this:

But you got a cheap thingambob!

Like I said, your $20-$30 cheaper trinkets are:

I think I can be forgiven for assuming that you consider anything purchased from Walmart "cheap crap".

Once Walmart show up the choice drys up very quickly, before Walmart showed up in my hometown there was 3 Zellars, k-mart, sears, eatons, superstore, now there are 3 walmarts a superstore and sears. The ones that survive are foced to decimate their staff and/or reduce wages to the same slave labour wages as wally world. They are a ruthless preditor interested in creating a monopoly.

Once Walmart show up the choice drys up very quickly, before Walmart showed up in my hometown there was 3 Zellars, k-mart, sears, eatons, superstore, now there are 3 walmarts a superstore and sears. The ones that survive are foced to decimate their staff and/or reduce wages to the same slave labour wages as wally world. They are a ruthless preditor interested in creating a monopoly.

That may be true in small towns but big urban centres like Vancouver can support both big and small stores. There is one Walmart in Vancouver and several in neighbouring suburbs. There are plenty of small business doing very well. Commercial Drive is not too far from Walmart in Vancouver and that is area is doing great. Tons of small shops there, you can't find parking sometimes. There are plenty of small stores along Kingsway, Fraser, Main, and Kerrisdale.

There also lots of supermarkets in Vancouver that don't seem to be effected by Walmart. We have Safeway, Save on Food , T&T, IGA, Price Mart, Whole Foods And London Drugs. I don't see any of them closing. There is certainly no monopoly in Vancouver.

Every situation is different. Before Walmart came to my hometown, we had one option: Zellers. Walmart moved into the old Zellers location and we now have what I'm sure is by far the smallest Walmart in the entire chain.

We have a Safeway and an Overwaitea for grocery options, but our only "big box" option is the Walmart, exactly as it was when Zellers was here. It's all well and good to say "don't shop at Walmart. They're terrible corporate citizens", but when you want to buy toys for your kids at Christmas, what else can you do?

Here in Prince Rupert, we have one option and we use it a lot. We drive an hour and a half to Terrace (Hockeyville 2009) where they have a full sized Walmart, a Canadian Tire, a SportChek and (most importantly for me) an actual music store.

Glad this happened. I didn't give this America company a penny. It's a shame people still support companies like Walmart, Starbucks etc... When there's Canadian alternatives.

The great shame in all of this is... The 5 billion or so they owe Canadian companies which likely will all get wiped out. Maybe they'll pay a billion but way too many companies will be getting the short end of the stick because of this mismanaged American giant that tried forcing their way into our country.

Hopefully London drugs can take overall the stores and be successful.

White collar crime at its finest. Hope all the 5 billion is paid back, but not a chance.

Keep in mind Walwart has been the subject of countless discriminations lawsuits, been sued multiple times for selling fake designer clothing, has pulled products off the shelf rather than disclose the country of origin (safe bet it was a country with no child labour laws and/or sweatshop conditions), rakes in astonomical amounts of money, yet pays their employees next to nothing, in fact they have the gall to set up food banks in their stores for their own employees rather than pay them a living wage. They are also notorious for buying out other companies, then closing only the unionized stores.

Walmart pays market wages if every other retailer paid more than walmart then walmart would pay more than them.Jobs like Walmart used to be just for a short ammount of time but becaue of the middle class drain over the last twenty years.Places like walmart continue to be the only option in most citys/Towns or a municipality for work.Working at a place like walmart isnt physically demanding for anybody that is in decent shape you wont find people that work out or play sports working there unless they are part of the crew that pulls boxes out of the trailer I believe those guys are paid a bit more for there work cause of how it is.

But in the long run your inside in a climate controlled building and dont need to be completely intelligent inorder to work there and this is the kind of thing that Places like Walmart have been looking for in there hiring practices since the place opened.

Walmart has just taken advantage at a time when the chinese labour market is being brought into the 21st century.Wouldnt be suprised if the Chinese didnt open up there own supermarkets in the next twenty years or less.

Archived