The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Point Projections at the halfway point

-AJ-

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I figured another pro-rated stats update might be nice at the midway point. I missed the exact halfway point by one game, but oh well, close enough. I've done this as the 1/5 mark and the 1/3 mark of the season so far. If you want to see how the pro-ration of the stats has changed since then, you can check out those topics here:

1/5 mark point projections - http://forum.canucks.com/topic/365028-point-paces-thus-far/

1/3 mark point projections - http://forum.canucks.com/topic/365683-canucks-point-projections-at-the-13-mark/

With that out of the way, here they are, point projections based on 42 games!

First, the projections for our skaters:

Pacesafter42games2014-15V3.png

Next, our goaltenders:

GoaliePacesafter42games2014-15.png

And finally, the team's record:

Teampaceafter42games2014-15.png

Some things, I've noted:

- As a whole, we've scored a fair bit less than since the 1/3 mark of the season, however, we've also let in less goals

- The twins are pretty close to maintaining their production from the 1/3 mark

- Vrbata's assist count is lowered, but his goal projection is only slightly lower

- Vrbata being on pace for 8 PIM should have him in the discussion for the Lady Byng

- Even aside from Vrbata, Willie D's team is very disciplined, with many players having drastically reduced penalty minutes

- Bonino has regressed to an level that I think many of us expected him to be at before the start of the season

- Vey's numbers still present a decent rookie campaign

- Hansen is still on pace for 20 goals, a career high for him

- Richardson's numbers still look like premier 3rd liner point totals

- Burrows is doing surprisingly well without the twins (granted he now plays on the PP with them)

- Edler has picked up a little bit of offense, which is a good sign

- Dorsett's numbers still look stellar for a 4th liner

- Miller still on pace for over 40 wins, and an impressive 8 shutouts

The only two players I was off by were Richardson and Kassian. Last year I paraded on CDC and HF for Richardson, but I still felt like his offensive abilities would always limit him to being a 4th line center. This year, he's been able to add much more offense to his game which was unexpected to say the least. It would be criminal to not re-sign him. He's the true leader of our bottom nine.

And then there's Kassian. Showed real signs at the end of last season - 20 pts in 35 games, 9 pts in last 10 games.. then he's just fallen flat on his ass. I was expecting a 40-45 point season based on management planning on playing a second line role and the fact he was by far our best 5 on 5 scorer last season.

And again, we're short two top six forwards and an elite RD, and a capable top four replacement - which is why we'll stay in mediocrity.

Horvat is also pretty much on line with everyone's expectations. 21 points / 82 games playing a fourth line role.

Thanks for sharing, though I do find it odd how you have it sorted by points, yet after the top 4 it doesn't stay that way.

Good point. I'll meant to sort it by points. I'll get a better version up ASAP.

Edler has been magnificent. He and Tanev are going to make a really strong pairing and I hope the league really notices too. Easily one of the best top shutdown d-man in the league. Last year, you couldn't say that to Edler.

Edler has been magnificent. He and Tanev are going to make a really strong pairing and I hope the league really notices too. Easily one of the best top shutdown d-man in the league. Last year, you couldn't say that to Edler.

That pairing has been great all season. If we could get an offensive defenceman that plays the right side, we'd have a very solid top 4. I think it's our teams biggest need.

Good totals actually.

Pros:

Vrbata on pace for a 30 goal year!

Burrows bounced back amazingly without the twins.

Miller doing his job.

Honey Badger and Richardson having career years.

Dorsett being a 3rd liner on the 4th line.

In the Middle:

Sedin's, while not being dominant, are having 70+ point years.

Bonino is on pace for what we expected, regressed after his start.

Horvat getting 14 points is decent for a defensive rookie.

Vey with 32 points is good for a rookie!

Cons:

The D production is extremely alarming.

Kassian's having a bad year after having high hopes for this season.

Lack with only 6 wins in 27 appearances.

Higgin's regression.

All in all, I'd say this that despite stumbling at times, this season's exceeded expectations. There is a lot of cause for concern among the D production, but all in all, we're still hanging in there. Vrbata and Dorsett were brilliant pickups.

You mentioned that Vrbata is on pace for 8 PiM, but is that including the bench minors? Because WD usually puts Vrbata in the box for those and they aren't even his fault and would be really stupid if they counted towards his PiM.

They don't. Assessed to the team.

The only two players I was off by were Richardson and Kassian. Last year I paraded on CDC and HF for Richardson, but I still felt like his offensive abilities would always limit him to being a 4th line center. This year, he's been able to add much more offense to his game which was unexpected to say the least. It would be criminal to not re-sign him. He's the true leader of our bottom nine.

And then there's Kassian. Showed real signs at the end of last season - 20 pts in 35 games, 9 pts in last 10 games.. then he's just fallen flat on his ass. I was expecting a 40-45 point season based on management planning on playing a second line role and the fact he was by far our best 5 on 5 scorer last season.

And again, we're short two top six forwards and an elite RD, and a capable top four replacement - which is why we'll stay in mediocrity.

Horvat is also pretty much on line with everyone's expectations. 21 points / 82 games playing a fourth line role.

Richardsons are a dime a dozen in free agency, if he wants too much you can always just go after someone cheaper but can do exactly what he does

That Hansen... So hot right now.

What happened to the geniuses that said trade him and he can't score on breakaways? Been doing it all year.

JANNIK THE GREAT!

I couldn't be any happier with this squad half way through.

All the way from Lord Henrik to Bo.

This is could be our year. Ok I'm not done... Gotta give extra props edler, juice, Miller, Daniel, Burr, Vrbadass, boneshow, higgy, Matthias, richy, Kass, dd, Tito, Hammer, Weber, tanman , Stanton, luuuuuu, and lack! Oops named the whole team. Greatness is upon us! Feast your eyes

Archived