The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Extension] Marc Staal re-signs with Rangers

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie 1h1 hour ago

Marc Staal's six-year extension with NYR expected to have AAV of about $5.7M. Heavy lifting on negotiations done; still finalizing paperwork

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC 1h1 hour ago

NYR closing in on 6 year extension worth about $5.7M AAV on Marc Staal...first to report was @NYP_Brooksie. Maybe not today, but soon.

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC 1h1 hour ago

On Staal -- agreement in principle is in-place. Now the lawyers get paid.

Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun 13m13 minutes ago

One more detail on Staal deal: full NTC for first 3 years and starts right away; then after 3 years it becomes a partial NTC

Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun 13m13 minutes ago

also has full no-move throughout which only pertains to waivers (can't be placed on waivers)

There goes the Staal Family reunion in Raleigh.

The New York Rangers have agreed to terms with defenceman Marc Staal on a contract extension, the team announced on Sunday.

The deal is for six years and is worth $5.7 million per season.

"It's the place I want to be," said Staal according to a Rangers team tweet. "I've had great time growing up in this organization and have a lot of respect for what they do."

LeBrun also reported that the deal will include a full no-trade clause for the first three years, but then become a partial no-trade clause, it will have a full no-movement clause as well, only pertaining to waivers.

"It's been fun winning games with the guys in this room," said Staal. "This is the right choice (for me)."

The Thunder Bay, Ontario native was selected in the first round, 12th overall, of the 2005 NHL Draft by the Rangers and has spent eight seasons with the club, since making his debut during the 2007-08 campaign.

In 43 games this season, Staal has contributed two goals and six assists while also posting a plus-8 rating and 32 penalty minutes.

The 28-year-old defenceman has appeared in 68 playoff games with the Rangers and has six goals and 10 assists in the postseason.

2015 Draft one of the deepest drafts since 2003. 2015 FA class however, is most likely one of the worst in a long time.

Anyways good deal for them. I was hoping that he was going to go back with his Staal brothers in FA but NYR is easily the best selection because they are a playoff team.

Free Agency is usually pretty weak when it comes to getting a top 2 defenseman, and this is further proof that it just doesn't happen. Sure, defensemen make it to FA, but those that go are usually 3/4 defensemen who get overpaid.

This goes to show that the only way a team (i.e. Vancouver) is going to get a bonafide top 2 defenseman is through the draft. Otherwise, they are going to have to severely overpay in a trade.

To think they let Stralman go to pay him this much. Anyways I suppose if a guy like Orpik can make 5.5M then this seems to be the range for Staal.

I think getting Boyle was part of the reason too.

Anyways, the price may seem high, but I think J. Staal is making 6 per year so it isn't that bad.

Staal logs a bit more minutes than Tanev, but his production and results are quite similar.

Chris is still RFA, so it's not a complete parallel...but you have to think a deal for Staal in the 5.7 range helps Tanev get around 4.5.

I wouldn't be opposed to 5 mil if he were on our team. But he is more defensive and probably doesn't deserve more then 4.5 range. Hammer dollars.

Hamhuis is underpaid, because of when he signed his contract and taking less than the market rate to sign in Vancouver.

If we were to sign Hamhuis right now, it would cost 6 million or more.

Archived