The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning: we're not trading prospects or draft picks

TheRussianRocket.

I'm sure everyone would like to think they know as much as a GM or a coach; however, we are not them. We are fans. I can understand your competitiveness. A lot of people are competitive on this board but that competitiveness can also be blinding. It's easy to see only the facts you want to see and not the whole picture.

If you truely believe in the management, would it not be fair then that, if they believe in these "fan favourites" going forward, there is a reason for it? A lot of people want Kassian gone. Some people have even wanted the Sedins gone. Yet, these players are still playing. If you believe in the staff, and they are giving these players a chance, wouldn't it be fair then to also give those players a chance?

If these players get traded or let go, then so be it. But, at this point, they are playing. They are being given chances.

Well do they really believe in these fan favorites? Because correct me if I'm wrong I thought I read somewhere about how benning isn't about trading prospects or draft picks, by those sounds he is willing to trade fan favorites who have been here for a while...

He was brought in as a 3rd line centre not a top 6 forward

But Alain Vigneault got it, and over the weekend, he decided it was time to upgrade Derek Roy’s linemates in a big way. Dale Weise was removed from the line. In his place came the former Selke winner, Ryan Kesler.

“We’re loading up in the top six,” associate coach Rick Bowness told the Vancouver Sun in explaining the move, and no kidding. The addition of Derek Roy and the return of Ryan Kesler was supposed to finally give the Canucks enough depth through the middle for three good lines. Instead, they’ve decided to go for two really good ones.

It shouldn’t come as a surprise, really. The Canucks have been toying with this idea for years, ever since Kesler first broke out as a scorer alongside Mats Sundin in 2009. Shortly after acquiring Derek Roy, both Laurence Gilman and Mike Gillis brought it up again, independent of one another.

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2013/04/15/derek-roy-wins-the-lottery-as-ryan-kesler-replaces-dale-weise-on-his-wing/

Isn't it ultimately about the team though? If the assets coming back from any trade make the team better in the long run, that is success. It's not actually about the individual player - for them they need to be successful for whatever team they are playing for. If you like a player as a fan, you'll still like him on other teams, no?

Exactly.

But Grizz equates fan criticism of individual players to " whipping boy(s) to giggle and wet your panties over" so he appears to be more interested in other parts of the players game,anyways.

And of course, you completely ignore the last half of last season.

At least you didn't make up nonsense about him this time.

Benning addressed this issue.You must have missed it when devising your vitriolic rant of the day:

“Sometimes, when the team is not playing well and you get a lot of those points at the end of year when the games are meaningless, it doesn’t really mean much.”

Well do they really believe in these fan favorites? Because correct me if I'm wrong I thought I read somewhere about how benning isn't about trading prospects or draft picks, by those sounds he is willing to trade fan favorites who have been here for a while...

Which doesn't prove they don't believe in them. Just because they're willing to trade someone doesn't mean they don't believe in them. They believe that player has value.

Just trust Bennings talent evaluation skills. If he's moving anyone it's for someone who will improve the team. Kass is moveable, but your going to picking up another high end prospect or young scoring forward who doesn't fit someone else's team. I like Vey with Bones, and he is developing pretty fast for a rookie. He makes a lot of good plays in the o zone, sets guys up pretty often, and you can see why guys like Toffoli and Pearson did well with him because they can really shoot the puck.

I want to see Kass get in a fight. He's just not there emotionally and he needs that fire to really get going.

this^

Archived