The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vrbata Trade Bait at the Deadline?

E Street Band

Fav Bruce album has to be Darkness on the edge of town. I love every song off this album but another song from a different album that rocks is "Lost in the Flood"....Who are we kidding, everything E Street and Bruce does is epic right?

As far as trading Vrbata goes.....It depends on what or where you believe this club is at. I for one don't believe this current group can get past the second round and that's being considerate. Sure it seems more favourable to trade a Burrows or Higgins but neither will net you what you truly need to rebound rather quickly. To go a step further it would be better to trade Radim next year if the Canucks were again a non contending team BUT his value won't be as high because he'll be a rental only on an expiring contract. His value won't ever be any higher than it is this deadline and acquiring GM's will love that he has a year remaining...

Edmonton receives a 1st rounder plus Klinkhammer 7 weeks away from deadline day for David Perron. Sure Klink is a throw in but a first rounder for Edmonton is great if you ask me and a good pick up for Pittsburgh as well. By trading Radim the Canucks could surely get more than Edmonton got for Perron and they'd head into the off season with 2 1st rounders. Maybe you keep both, maybe you trade one or perhaps you do the unthinkable and trade both first rounders in the summer for a legitmate cornerstone typer player? An added incentive is that you have cleared Radim's salary from the books and again are a player in free agency. Personally I like all of these options better than retaining Radim vs heading into next season with a similar looking roster. Again, this is ONLY an option IF IF IF the canucks free fall from the PROMISE LAND, go Bruce.

Again I would trade him if a team like Anaheim came knocking on the door with a 1st round pick and Ritchie. I would imagine there would be a huge bidding war on the TDL if a player like Vrbata was made available. There wouldn't be too many 1st line players for trade on deadline day. I'd also trade Kassian for a top prospect if a team was interested and Higgins would be an easy 2nd round pick or late 1st due to his playoff experience, grit and two-way play.

I HOPE NOT. He is starting to carry the top line. If the Sedins are staying, Vrbata needs to stick around as he has the speed, talent and 200 foot game to work with them. Won't be easy to replace him.

I agree, I don't want Verby gone but I would trade him if we could get a potential 1st line player and get younger. I imagine in a couple of years, Shinkaruk and Virtanen might make the team as regulars. Now if we got another top line prospect like Ritchie, I would be all over that.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Virtanen-Bonino-Ritchie

Matthias-Richardson-Vey

Dorsett-Horvat-Hansen

That would not be a bad lineup, plus whatever we get for Kassian and Higgins.

I'm not ready to give up on Kassian yet but I believe he deserves to be sitting right now. I don't think he has a major penalty this regular season and if that's the case it's unacceptable if you ask me. Imagine if Kassian who's still young and more than anything needs to mentally mature were playing on the right wing of Krejci and Lucic? He too would play like a big bruising winger who would excel with a great playmaker in Krejci. You poke Kassian well Lucic will come in. You poke Lucic well Kassian will come in and those are 2 big intimidating kids. Now you poke the centerpiece Krejci and both Lucic and Kassian come in. That's what I believe Kassian needs right now to excel. Give him a line mate that stirs it up and can back it up (too bad Dorsett is also a RWer) so Kassian has no choice but to play big. Throw in a crafty centre (perhaps Horvat in a year or two) and a then 25 year old Kassian might take off? I'd keep him because his trade value is far too low right now anyway.

OK, but we want a 1st, a player and a prospect for him.

I think Anaheim and NYI are the teams that could really afford to give that up and get another top 6 forward in their arsenal and a veteran presence.

Anaheim: 1st and Ritchie

NYI: Michael Dal Colle or a 1st and Ryan Pulock

I would be thrilled if they could get a Ritchie or MDC and those are the types of trades that Benning would do in a heartbeat if Verby was to be moved.

Ok let me break this down for you since you have trouble understanding when Benning says we are pushing to be in the playoffs at all costs other than trading our picks and prospects.

We can't trade Verbata this year because we have him signed past this year so if we traded him no other reputable player will ever bother signing here in fear of being traded for picks.

We are a playoff team, we likely won't win this year but we will make the playoffs. People need to give the team till the end of the year before ridiculing them. Let's give the team the benefit of the doubt that the last patch of losses were caused by injuries and the team getting the flu. Stop freaking out and trying to blow this team up so quickly!

Can't believe a guy with a handle E Street Band, perhaps one of the greatest ensemble of musicians with arguably the greatest sax player in Clarence Clemons providing both a lead and support role to my favorite artist of all time, Bruce Springsteen, would suggest the trading of the one and only goal scorer/sniper on the Canucks.

Now that we got the hockey stuff out of the way, what's your fave Boss/E-Street tune/album of all time, E-Street? Mine is Jungleland/Born to Run.

For me jungle land is in my top three if not favourite boss songs simply because of Clarence....imo a perfect song.....live in nyc is ridiculous.

Not going to happen. Potential future free agents would see this right away and shy away from us.

Maybe. Although Vrbata might like to be traded to a contender if the Canucks go south.

I think it is unlikely, though. The Canucks are likely to be in contention for a playoff spot at the trade deadline and will not trade him in that case.

However, if they did trade him, there is some chance he might even be worth a first round pick. For proven top 6 forwards as rentals the going price is a second round pick. As Vrbata has another year on his contract he should be worth more. Maybe a second round pick and a prospect. But. as I indicated, it is not likely to happen.

This team does not even remotely resemble a playoff contender. Holes in defense, inconsistent offense and we can't string together back to back 60 minute efforts. With an aging core why not trade your best assets for something solid that we can help in the future? I think we've all seen how relying on your goalie in the playoffs only gets you so far.

Edmonton receives a 1st rounder plus Klinkhammer 7 weeks away from deadline day for David Perron. Sure Klink is a throw in but a first rounder for Edmonton is great if you ask me and a good pick up for Pittsburgh as well. By trading Radim the Canucks could surely get more than Edmonton got for Perron and they'd head into the off season with 2 1st rounders. Maybe you keep both, maybe you trade one or perhaps you do the unthinkable and trade both first rounders in the summer for a legitmate cornerstone typer player? An added incentive is that you have cleared Radim's salary from the books and again are a player in free agency.

No you're not:

Ok let me break this down for you since you have trouble understanding when Benning says we are pushing to be in the playoffs at all costs other than trading our picks and prospects.

We can't trade Verbata this year because we have him signed past this year so if we traded him no other reputable player will ever bother signing here in fear of being traded for picks.

Vrbata came here to play with the twins. He could have signed elsewhere. If you were a FA and just saw the last one Vancouver signed traded away after a few months, would you want to sign here? These guys do have lives and families outside of the game.

Almost certainly the only time Vrbata or Miller will be traded will be in the last year of their contracts, should Vancouver be on the outside looking in and they wish to go to a contender.

No way Vrbata gets traded unless a GM offers Bennings a prospect like Forsberg. Vrbata signed in Vancouver for a reason but I don't see him wanting to be traded. I really like Vrbata and would only trade him if the offer on the table was incredible.

I know this is just an example, but why would Nashville offer Forsberg for a lesser player? Maybe if it was Vrbata and a first for Forsberg but even then I doubt it.

Instead of starting hypothetical threads on trading him I would rather discuss just how much of a success he is proving on the team.

I knew he was a bit of a goal scorer but I had no idea he was so quick and worked so damned hard. That game last night, he took his work rate to a new level as far as I'm concerned.

My only regret is we didn't get him 2/3 seasons ago.

Vrbata is definitely an interesting piece to trade if they are no longer in the playoff picture. This guy's got amazing skills, and a goal scorer. Using the Perron deal as a measure, he'll probably fetch us a 1st rounder + a prospect.

BUT If we are in the playoffs, we definitely wont be sellers.

Archived