The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anyone else think Mattias is going to end up in the 2nd line?

*Buzzsaw*

*Buzzsaw* Agreeing very much with this post

I think that we have to think of this team as top 3 and bottom 9 (a team in transition). I'm talking about putting players in a position where they will be the most effective.

Top 3 are obviously Sedin, Sedin, Vrbata (maybe slot Burrows in from time to time)

Bottom 9 pretty much are interchangeable skill wise and WD is figuring out which combinations work the best.

Bonino is the second best centre on the team. He is young and has never played top 6 before (and never faced the type of defense and forward checking lines that top 6 lines face). But is it set in stone that he must be a traditional 2C?

He showed early in the season that he has a great shot. The book went out on him. Now he can't do it alone and he needs complimentary players to give him time and space. ..............who?............not who he has been paired with for the last 2 months.

Answer. A power forward and a complimentary winger with skill and speed.

What makes this line work?

1. Trigger man. Bonino
  2. Muscle, Matthias
  3. Playmaker, qickness, somebody to keep things moving, Vey

Right on. Vey has fit well on that second line. Time will tell, but let's keep that line together for a few more games to see how they do.

Even David Booth was able to score 30 goals in one season... Matthias/Higgins will do until some of our prospects are more developed

The way the league is going now (lower than average goal totals), I think we will only see several 2nd line players scoring 30 goals a season.

Matthias is a perfect addition to the second line that should be a mainstay, as he has the size that makes the second line hard to manage.

Bonino finally has two great shooters, both with hard to defend ability.

Matthais is huge and hard to move. He has wheels, size, and skill. Watching him cut in on Emery in Philadelphia, and the defenseman, I forget who....it's Philly! C'mon!...had no choice but to nearly draw a penalty.

Vey's small but fast as frack.

They both have accuracy and a quick release.

This line is a great mix. It has made what was a neutered first line with zero fight, a legitimate threat.

If Kassian can replace someone, now's the time Desjardins gives him a real opportunity. He's only sat Sbisa once!!

Matthias is set in his role. Look for Kassian and Matthias on the second line with Bonino centering them soon.

Look for Kassian and Matthias on the second line with Bonino centering them soon.

Not so sure about that one... With Kassian's defensive liabilities, he needs two responsible linemates... and Mattias still has not mastered his defensive zone coverage skills.

Like many have said, we're a team with one first line and three-third line equivalents. IMO, Matthias has been really good this season (minus the first 10 games of the season), but expecting him to be a second liner may be akin to asking Higgy to be a second liner.

With Richardson seemingly out with a "lower-body" injury, I'd be all for the line combo to look like the following:

Daniel -- Henrik -- Radim

Burr -- Bono -- Kass (give the big guy a legit look on this line...I think Burr and Bonino will complement Kass's game nicely)

Matthias -- Vey -- Hansen (Matthias/Hansen have arguably been two of the better players on the Canucks over the past 25 games)

Higgy -- Horvat -- Dorsett (Higgy has played himself off the "second" line with zero production, so maybe he'll flourish is a lesser offensive role...and who knows, playing with Dorsett may bring back some of Higgy's offense)

Shawn Matthias is doing a better job of being that PWF we envisioned Kassian to be.

Difference is Matthias is willing to put the work in and go to the dirty areas. Kassian is becoming a Steve Bernier perimeter player.

It's sad. Kass has the skill, he just doesn't have the gusto.

With Richardson seemingly out with a "lower-body" injury, I'd be all for the line combo to look like the following:

Daniel -- Henrik -- Radim

Burr -- Bono -- Kass (give the big guy a legit look on this line...I think Burr and Bonino will complement Kass's game nicely)

Matthias -- Vey -- Hansen (Matthias/Hansen have arguably been two of the better players on the Canucks over the past 25 games)

Higgy -- Horvat -- Dorsett (Higgy has played himself off the "second" line with zero production, so maybe he'll flourish is a lesser offensive role...and who knows, playing with Dorsett may bring back some of Higgy's offense)

Disagree... Hansen -- Horvat -- Dorsett have big time chemistry, breaking up that line would be a mistake.

Put Kassian on the third line with Vey as center and Burr as winger. That would give the defensively responsible linemates Kassian needs... and Burr has jumpstarted a couple lines by being put on them.

Keep Mattias and Bonino together and sub in Higgins... he and Bonino have pretty good chemistry.

If Richardson is injured, I think this is Horvat's big opportunity to step up. I hope he gets bumped on the 3rd line and gets bigger minutes. A third line of Higgins/Horvat/Burrows would look nice. Nothing against Hansen, or Dorsett, they are great players, but Burrows and Higgins are better and skilled players that Horvat should have no problem adjusting to.

Shawn Matthias is doing a better job of being that PWF we envisioned Kassian to be.

And he's 27. But will CDC wait that long for Kassian?

Him and Richardson I definitely want re-signed.

Depending on roster spots, I'd take Dorsett first then Matthias then Richardson, as all should sign for similar money. Downside is Richardson is a much better C than Vey or Matthias at this point on draws and defensively, and our youngster Cs aren't ready yet to step into that role. But hey, by September who knows.

Florida had the exact same complaints about Matthias when he was Kassian's age

Matthias was doomed in Florida, another Keenan casualty.

"After the 2005-06 season, Mike Keenan made the worst trade in Florida Panthers history. Franchise goalie and fan favorite Roberto Luongo was dealt to Vancouver for an incredibly sad return of Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan Allen and Alex Auld. Bertuzzi was then dealt to Detroit for Shawn Matthias after spending only seven games with the Panthers.

Fans never forgave or forgot. The player most capable of leading them back to post-season glory was gone and there was almost nothing to show for it."

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/roberto-luongo-trade-a-huge-win-for-florida-but-what-is-mike-gillis-doing-in-vancouver/

And he's 27. But will CDC wait that long for Kassian?

Depending on roster spots, I'd take Dorsett first then Matthias then Richardson, as all should sign for similar money. Downside is Richardson is a much better C than Vey or Matthias at this point on draws and defensively, and our youngster Cs aren't ready yet to step into that role. But hey, by September who knows.

Even if next year Richardson potentially becomes the fourth line center we all thought he'd be this year, he's still reliable and a huge reason why our P.K has been brilliant. He can win draws as well. And that's what we want from a reliable fourth line center that can put up third line numbers given that Willie D does what he's known best for, rolling four lines.

We easily have the one of the best bottom 6. Dorsett and Hansen have really been the fire power of it.

Archived