The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anyone else think Mattias is going to end up in the 2nd line?

*Buzzsaw*

Florida had the exact same complaints about Matthias when he was Kassian's age

Exactly. Hell, many on CDC had the same complaints about him earlier this season (probably the same ones who are now praising him as the PWF savior going forward). Matthias has started to turn things around which is great. But he was most definitely viewed much the same way as Kassian is now by many in Florida and some in Vancouver until partway through this season.

Matthias is playing for a contract too which cannot be ignored.

Disagree... Hansen -- Horvat -- Dorsett have big time chemistry, breaking up that line would be a mistake.

Put Kassian on the third line with Vey as center and Burr as winger. That would give the defensively responsible linemates Kassian needs... and Burr has jumpstarted a couple lines by being put on them.

Keep Mattias and Bonino together and sub in Higgins... he and Bonino have pretty good chemistry.

If Richardson is injured, I think this is Horvat's big opportunity to step up. I hope he gets bumped on the 3rd line and gets bigger minutes. A third line of Higgins/Horvat/Burrows would look nice. Nothing against Hansen, or Dorsett, they are great players, but Burrows and Higgins are better and skilled players that Horvat should have no problem adjusting to.

I think we have to drop the line numbers. Look at tonight -- both Dorsett and Hansen had more minutes than Matthias, and Horvat had only 12 seconds less (granted, Canucks lead half the game). After the first line the other three really are quite interchangeable, and Willie is simply shuffling to find the best combos. Thus when he shortens his bench, he will roll out whichever 2 or 3 are working best on a given night.

Like many, I'd like the "twin towers" to have a skilled center as well, most likely Bonino. Richardson really should be a checking line C, between probably Hansen and Dorsett, then having Bo between Higgins and Burrows. All four are good defensively, so are rather interchangeable.

Exactly. Hell, many on CDC had the same complaints about him earlier this season.

Matthias is playing for a contract too which cannot be ignored.

Matthias was always known for his early bad starts when starting the year. He was our Bieksa, our go-to player to flame at at every single mistake. Boy times have changed..

Even if next year Richardson potentially becomes the fourth line center we all thought he'd be this year, he's still reliable and a huge reason why our P.K has been brilliant. He can win draws as well. And that's what we want from a reliable fourth line center that can put up third line numbers given that Willie D does what he's known best for, rolling four lines.

Okay, but if we cannot resign them all, for example if a young layer earns a spot (we already have an extra forward as it is)? Of Dorsett, Richardson, and Matthias, who do you let walk or trade at the TDL?

Difference is Matthias is willing to put the work in and go to the dirty areas. Kassian is becoming a Steve Bernier perimeter player.

It's sad. Kass has the skill, he just doesn't have the gusto.

I think it's quite obvious that the Canucks have fumbled Kassian's developed pretty bad from the get go. Had they done what is right for the player, he would have been playing significant minutes in the AHL on the top line, developing into a top 6 forward. Mike Gillis' ego prevented that from happening and quite possibly has ruined his development all together.

While the first part of your post is very much true, the second part is just ridiculous. They're trying to oversimplify Kassian's game and turn him into a meat and potatoes typical power forward that drives the net hard and waits for tip ins in front of the net. The problem is that anyone that has watched Kassian can see that he's not this type of player, and that's not a bad thing by any means.

There are many players Kassian size that don't just simply fit into the prototypical "power forward". Even though he's effective hanging onto the puck, shielding it and driving to the net, that's still looking past his real strengths. I know Kassian's numbers don't show it this year, but he's a much different..and arguably more valuable player to this team than what they're trying to force him to be.

Kassian's production has disappointed even the biggest of his supporters this year. The problem is partly that the new coaching staff and management are taking a very simplistic view of Kassian. They're expecting him to drive to the net consistently and create energy on a regular basis. Now this doesn't seem like much to ask for, but it's really taking Kassian away from his strengths and asking him to be an energy player, it's causing him to forego any creativity and oversimplify his game forcing him to chase the game far more. Sure he's a big physical body that can skate, but his game is not one of David Booth. He has shown in small glimpses that he's an effective playmaker that is able to drive play in the offensive zone and set up chances for his linemates. This whole teams philosphy this year, over last year , was to encourage creativity offensively, but to me it seems they're trying to do the exact opposite. Instead of encouraging Kassian to play to these strengths, the coaching staff seems adamant on dumbing down his game and force him into something he's not.

I really wish that they'd be more open minded and not force Kassian to play like a Mathiass, but to play to his strengths as long as he's putting a good effort into playing a 200ft game,

i still think the Sedins are sleepers - only because i remember seeing them @ their very best in 2010. However i enjoy watching the 4th LINE made : Richardson /Burrows - Hansen - Dorsett . - AWESOME and fun to Watch.

Note: Makes me wonder if we could see the same consistency with Shawn - like Dats - who plays for the Red Wings.

Could we see Shawn playing past 40 yrs old ?? :)

Everyone, because he's currently on pace for less than 30 this season.

Only weridos would probably be laughing at one of the better players of our team who plays hard and gets only 12 minutes a game without pp time. So on pace for 30 points a season is in fact quite impressive.

Kassian's production has disappointed even the biggest of his supporters this year. The problem is partly that the new coaching staff and management are taking a very simplistic view of Kassian.

Would agree if it were just a one-off. But three coaches now and two management teams seemingly having issues with him. It might just be the player.

"I think it's quite obvious that the Canucks have fumbled Kassian's developed pretty bad from the get go. Had they done what is right for the player, he would have been playing significant minutes in the AHL on the top line, developing into a top 6 forward. Mike Gillis' ego prevented that from happening and quite possibly has ruined his development all together."

Two things make this ironic.

Firstly OUR AHL team was a place prospects went to die in Chicago.

Secondly, when he was down there CDC were going into rabid dog mode to get him back up to Vancouver, just as many do about Jensen.

Doesn't matter if he is on the 1, 2, 3 rd line, it matters who he playing with.

Matthais, Richardson, Kassian were effective; however Kassian has to play like a powerforward in the offensive zone and hold on to the puck. this line can grind other lines down if they play the right way; this will make other teams match lines and possibly freeing up the Sedin line.

Matthais, Bonino, Vey can be effective too. This line would have less grind and more speed and skill. Matthais can still play a powerforward game and drive the net, Vey would bring speed, sniper, and play making and Bonino would bring play making and sniper skills. The harder this line works in the offense zone to control and possess the puck, the more chances they will get to score.

Bottom line, Matthais is the kind of player the Canucks need.

Okay, but if we cannot resign them all, for example if a young layer earns a spot (we already have an extra forward as it is)? Of Dorsett, Richardson, and Matthias, who do you let walk or trade at the TDL?

that's hard tbh as those are all the players I want next year. Maybe Higgins?

Only weridos would probably be laughing at one of the better players of our team who plays hard and gets only 12 minutes a game without pp time. So on pace for 30 points a season is in fact quite impressive.

I think Monty was saying everyone was laughing at the prediction of 35-40 pts, not at the player.

Shawn Matthias is doing a better job of being that PWF we envisioned Kassian to be.

Yes. Probably because he's a few years older and is a UFA this summer.

I envision him earning a decent raise, while Kassian continues being an affordable RFA next season.

Hopefully Richardson isn't all too banged up, because WD's line combo's, with Richardson being our '2nd line center', were working against these seldom-seen eastern opponents.

If he's out, I guess that means Kassian draws back in and WD has a decision to make about who to put in Richardson's place. My suggestion? Shawn Matthias.

Disagree... Hansen -- Horvat -- Dorsett have big time chemistry, breaking up that line would be a mistake.

Put Kassian on the third line with Vey as center and Burr as winger. That would give the defensively responsible linemates Kassian needs... and Burr has jumpstarted a couple lines by being put on them.

Keep Mattias and Bonino together and sub in Higgins... he and Bonino have pretty good chemistry.

Totally agree... The Hansen Horvat Dorset line works, don't screw it up..

Archived