The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anyone else think Mattias is going to end up in the 2nd line?

*Buzzsaw*

"I think it's quite obvious that the Canucks have fumbled Kassian's developed pretty bad from the get go. Had they done what is right for the player, he would have been playing significant minutes in the AHL on the top line, developing into a top 6 forward. Mike Gillis' ego prevented that from happening and quite possibly has ruined his development all together."

Two things make this ironic.

Firstly OUR AHL team was a place prospects went to die in Chicago.

Secondly, when he was down there CDC were going into rabid dog mode to get him back up to Vancouver, just as many do about Jensen.

This is so true... Kassian being sent down to the AHL was sending CDC into melt down. Remember the carry on trading him for COHO in the first place.

Kassian could probably have benefited from a longer stay in the AHL,..

guy has 14 points including that 'hot streak'. he'll be lucky to hit 30.

He was on the third line most of the year so far. He started of the year on the fourth line with Dorsett/Matthias/Vey. Remember that?

What in the universe are you blabbering about? rofl.

Let me explain, since you seem upset with my curtness. You said he was always slow at the beginning of the year, but unless you are an avid Panthers fan (which don't exist :P), you wouldn't know. And no one has ever complained much about him, especially compared to the criticism Edler and Hansen got. Matthias hasn't even been in Vancouver for a full season. Thus, I give your original post a grade of: "N/A. Pulled out of your @$$."

Looking at only offensive stats is misleading. A media clown specialty. We need to take into consideration zone starts. The Sedin line and the Horvat line get the majority of o-zone starts. Bonino and Richardson get most of the d-zone starts. That will affect offensive numbers. Bonino was getting the better lines to defend. Lately DesJardin has started to use Richardson more. Matthias may get more scoring opportunities now. 4th and 1st lines should get more chances to score. 2nd and 3rd get less chances and stress defending first. Perspective and context help.

Like many have said, we're a team with one first line and three-third line equivalents. IMO, Matthias has been really good this season (minus the first 10 games of the season), but expecting him to be a second liner may be akin to asking Higgy to be a second liner.

With Richardson seemingly out with a "lower-body" injury, I'd be all for the line combo to look like the following:

Daniel -- Henrik -- Radim

Burr -- Bono -- Kass (give the big guy a legit look on this line...I think Burr and Bonino will complement Kass's game nicely)

Matthias -- Vey -- Hansen (Matthias/Hansen have arguably been two of the better players on the Canucks over the past 25 games)

Higgy -- Horvat -- Dorsett (Higgy has played himself off the "second" line with zero production, so maybe he'll flourish is a lesser offensive role...and who knows, playing with Dorsett may bring back some of Higgy's offense)

Agreed. I do not see much point it talking about the "second line" or "top 6". On any given night any one of the three "third lines" might be the best.

Last night the "second line" was Higgins Richardson and Burrows. The "third line" was Matthias Bonino and Vey. But the 5-on-5 minutes were very similar and you could just as easily call the Bonino line the second line. In fact, Bonino is the only player in that group whose production is at a normal second line level (close to or better than 0.5 pts per game) over this year and last year.

Assuming Richardson is out I think the Sedin line (Sedins and Vrbata) and the Horvat line (with Dorsett and Hansen) will stay in place. Bonino and Vey will be the other two centers. The wingers could be anything, but I am guessing Matthias and Kassian with Bonino as Bonino and Matthias did well together the last two games and Kassian has played pretty well with Matthias, That line is genuine "power line" that can wear down an opposing defence if Kassian shows up to play. That leaves Higgins and Burrows with Vey. Any line with Higgins and Burrows on the wings should be very good defensively and those two with Vey should be a significant secondary scoring threat.

Let me explain, since you seem upset with my curtness. You said he was always slow at the beginning of the year, but unless you are an avid Panthers fan (which don't exist :P), you wouldn't know. And no one has ever complained much about him, especially compared to the criticism Edler and Hansen got. Matthias hasn't even been in Vancouver for a full season. Thus, I give your original post a grade of: "N/A. Pulled out of your @$$."

Matthias said it himself. He said he usually starts of the year slow until his routine comes back together. I'll try and find the interview. Unless you don't care ^_^

Willie D does not really deploy his lines in as specific roles as AV did. Thus i really couldn't care less if Matthias is on our second line or our 4th as long as he's a contributor in his role.

Shawn is a very good player at driving play with his speed and size. At times he's capable of holding a scoring role....problem is these times are few. Vision and skill is mediocre at best. If Higgins, Burrows are lacking so called top 6 ability then Matthias is that much worse.

Matthias said it himself. He said he usually starts of the year slow until his routine comes back together. I'll try and find the interview. Unless you don't care ^_^

Apologies. Must have missed it. Your points are valid and I retract my misplaced criticism.

I don't like the idea of Matthias and Kassian on the same line.

They're supposed to both be power forwards. The last time they played together, Matthias was the power forward and Kassian was the rover, waiting in the slot. Unless that's what they want.

If Vey is playing centre, he'll need some muscle to help him out.

Matthias - Bonino - Burrows

Higgins - Vey - Kassian...........works for me -_-

I really wish that they'd be more open minded and not force Kassian to play like a Mathiass, but to play to his strengths as long as he's putting a good effort into playing a 200ft game,

I like how Matthias drives the net, but if that's not Kassian's game I don't know why they try to force it on him. He's got many other skills, so why not allow him to excel in those? I realize they are the personnel experts, but you can see Kassian is like a fish out of water out there.

that's hard tbh as those are all the players I want next year. Maybe Higgins?

Heh, the question was about retaining UFAs -- Higgins is still signed. Or are you suggesting trading Higgins and keeping all three?

I don't like the idea of Matthias and Kassian on the same line.

They're supposed to both be power forwards. The last time they played together, Matthias was the power forward and Kassian was the rover, waiting in the slot. Unless that's what they want.

If Vey is playing centre, he'll need some muscle to help him out.

Matthias - Bonino - Burrows

Higgins - Vey - Kassian...........works for me -_-

Don't worry they can't be on the same line after trade deadline....

Mathias is having some Bertuzzi-ish moments, just needs to be more consistant, don't care what line he's on just as long as he's effective.

You are nuts, Matthias has hands of stone, no where near the talent of Bertuzzi

You are nuts, Matthias has hands of stone, no where near the talent of Bertuzzi

Ya I agree... better than Pyatt and better than Steve Bernier.. but basically a plug... I don't mind him as our third line center though when he's playing well if that is all that we've got...

Archived