The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why is it considered selfish to be childless by choice?

Do you want a child in some point of your life?  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is just for the sake of discussion. Society seems to have an expectations towards married couple where a child is pretty much essential at some point in their life? Why is it such a taboo to remain childfree? Personally, I would rather used the time and resource to buy the things i want or used the time to travel to different places like Europe, Japan, heck, I take travelling to Toronto over having kids.

People who wants kids would say having children is wonderful because you can pass your ideals and legacy to the next generation, or they say they want their children to take care of them when they are old. In my humble opinion, that is the exact definition of selfishness. What makes you think your ideals and legacy is so great that you need to pass it on to the next generation? Maybe your child doesn't want to follow your footstep, have you think of that? Also, having a child doesn't mean someone will take care of you when you got old, it's totally possible that you didn't raise your kids probably and they just end up abandon you in an old folks home and take all your hardwork money.

Kids causes so much trouble, all they do is cry, running around, yell or rude to other people. Rarely would they remain quiet or sit still, last time I was on a plane, a kid was pretty much crying or yelling for the entire duration of the flight. It simply takes too much time/money/effort to teach a child properly and in my opinion, simply wasn't worth the effort.

What do you think?

This is just for the sake of discussion. Society seems to have an expectations towards married couple where a child is pretty much essential at some point in their life? Why is it such a taboo to remain childfree?

Piety and culture.

Why is this a thread? Who cares what other people expect you to do.. You do what's best.

Off-Topic General

Discuss recent news, movies, politics, religion, etc. Any serious subject not covered by the other forums.

It's not "immoral".

Essential means needed.

Immoral = wrong/ wicked. Totally fine if you don't want kids, believe you aren't a good parent or can't afford (money/ time/ energy-wise) to raise kids.

Some would say they're blessed because of their kids, and some say they're blessed to not have kids. Whatever floats that boat (incorrect use of vocab sure won't doesn't float the boat though!)

Is this really a serious subject?

Well, serious enough for you to reply twice in this thread. : P

It's not "immoral".

Essential means needed.

Immoral = wrong/ wicked. Totally fine if you don't want kids, believe you aren't a good parent or can't afford (money/ time/ energy-wise) to raise kids.

Some would say they're blessed because of their kids, and some say they're blessed to not have kids. Whatever floats that boat (incorrect use of vocab sure won't doesn't float the boat though!)

Good to see another brother in this forum. May God be with you, always (Never the force). Do you think there is an official stands from the bible?

It's always the correct choice if you treat your children properly. To teach them to be a model citizen, help those downtrodden, and to go through life with understanding, exuberance and with moderation.

It's always wrong to have kids for selfish reasons. When you abstain yourself from the responsibility and obligation of providing for your children, not willing to discipline your child then it is warranted, and not teaching them any social responsibilities.

It's the concept that you'll leave a legacy of some type.

But it's not immoral.

I'm the only one in my family that doesn't have kids. Only because I haven't found a good woman to settle down and have kids with.

But my sister and brother only had two each. So far my two nieces only have one kid. My best friend doesn't want kids. My other friend has a son with autism so I doubt they are going to have another child. My buddy in Toronto has a son from his first marriage. And no other kids.

So most people I know are having smaller families.

My aunt and uncle never had kids. They are 52 and 50, retired. and live 6 months on an island in northern Ontario than 6 months in Florida. They enjoy green herbs, drum circles on the beach, and week long motorcycle/canoe trips.

It is not an immoral choice, it is a smart one.

My wife and I decided not to have kids - but nature decided against us. Now we have two, and love it. It's totally worth the effort.

I don't know where you got the idea of "immoral" from. Perhaps the Catholic teaching against birth control? There is nothing in the bible that says not having kids is wrong though.

Recently read that every 3 days, 2,000,000 souls are welcomed to our floating prison. Supposedly at 7.2 bill now.

Malthus warned us all about 3 centuries back, but industrial revolution seemingly encouraged us all to go hog-wild. Once cheap energy runs out, we'll all be scrambling for the proverbial lifeboats.

"The Population Bomb" by Paul Ehrlich was published in 1968(to great acclaim/controversy) & it confronted the issue with great prescience. There are several of his recent lectures available on Utube.

The only people who say it immoral to not have kids are the people who have them, and want you to be as miserable as them.

As a studio drummer, I get to travel the world and get paid to record music with great musicians.

As a self employed architect, my wife get to travel with me. It's a great damn life. If we had kids, it would ruin our entire life. Everything would have to change. Not gonna happen. How is that immoral? A bit selfish? Maybe. But not immoral.

Archived