The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks set to begin "serious contract talks" with Chris Tanev this week

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/682779

Are the Vancouver Canucks finally ready to commit to steady two-way defenseman Chris Tanev with a long-term contract?

It would appear that the Canucks are at least prepared to sit down and discuss the matter seriously with Tanev's representatives shortly.

"It sounds like serious contract talks with (Tanev) will begin this week," Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman reported during Hockey Night in Canada's "Headlines" segment on Saturday.

Friedman's report echoes comments made by Canucks general manager Jim Benning in an appearance on TSN 1040 in Vancouver earlier this week.

"We've had preliminary talks with his agent and we'll continue with those talks," Benning said of Tanev on Friday. "He's played real well for us, with him and Alex Edler they've been a real good matchup pair for us playing against the other team's top line. So we'll get something figured out with him."

Tanev, 25, has signed two consecutive one-year contracts since his entry-level deal expired in the summer of 2013. He's managed two goals and 11 points this season while playing first-pairing minutes at even strength and leading all Canucks skaters in short-handed minutes played.

Get er' done JB!

Fact of the matter:

- Tanev is a top 4 dman

- lacks physical strength but makes up with his great positional play

- trustworthy anywhere on the ice

- excellent complimentary dman (has gelled perfectly with Edler)

- not offensively gifted but capable of 15/20ish points - 2/5 goals, 13/15 assists.

- high IQ and know he can smoothtly get out of trouble, moving the puck out of the zone.

I say 5 years, $15 million - average cap hit of $3 mill per. Give half a mill extra if you have to but no more.

Please lock Tanev up long term, hell even a NTC. I haven't had a man crush this strong on a defenseman since Lidstrom.

No. More. NTC's please...

I also have man crush too (no homo), but NTC's are the last thing this team needs.

Through all the ups and all the downs, Tanev has consistently been one of of best (if not our best) defenseman since he has become a regular on this team. He blocks a million shots per game, is very reliable defensively, and is actually a relatively good skater. You just wish he could provide some more offense.

I'm going to guess it's in the $3.8~$4.2 mil/year range.

No. More. NTC's please...

There's no way there isn't some sort of NTC in there. Tanev's not going to sign somewhere long-term and give the GM the freedom of trading him whenever/wherever he wants. He has been a good soldier for us, signing these 1-year deals, and you can bet he feels he should be rewarded with some stability (along with the $).

Archived