The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Draft 2015/Free Agency: Defencemen

Hi all,

Ever since I got my position with EliteProspects and MyNHLDraft, I've been very active in my scouting (though very quiet on CDC), watching an immense amount of major junior hockey and weighing in on various multinational players for numerous professional sources.

Here is a quick look at my Top 5 Defencemen for the 2015 Draft:

1.) Noah Hanifin
- Size, creativity, and speed; Noah Hanifin possesses the pro qualities that NHL teams desire in a defenceman

2.) Ivan Provorov

- Incredible speed and work ethic, Ivan Provorov is a dynamic defenceman involved in all three areas of the ice when the opposition is bearing down, or his team has the puck

3.) Jeremy Roy

- Plays a pro-style game; doesn't take the risks that many defencemen do and plays high percentage hockey. Does exhibit a high level of intelligence and keen awareness on the ice, and can dominate using his smarts. A deft skater that uses his teammates well and possesses very acute individual skills.

4.) Brandon Carlo [seems like a very good Canuck fit]

- Gigantic defenceman (@ 6'5, 185lbs) who needs to find his offensive game and fill out his frame; that being said, his potential is sky high: he skates very well, as his strides are deep and strong, and he possesses an NHL-level shot. His defensive game stands out as, probably, the best in this year's draft. Incredibly aware of everything that happens in the defensive zone and the neutral zone, and uses his size and skating ability to make high percentage, skilled plays in all three zones. As long as he sticks to his adaptive, defensive style, the offense will come.

example: During the world juniors, Brandon Carlo was stuck between two Finnish shooters, Kapanen and Hintz, and his goalie, Thatcher Demko, on a two on one. Demko had lost his stick in an earlier happening. Backskating quickly, Carlo gave his stick to Demko so he could make the save if the pass was made. Upon seeing Kapanen wind up, Carlo got down to block the shot.

In this play, Carlo makes two decisions: give his stick to Demko, as well as block the incoming shot. Many defencemen at this level would not be able to make these types of decisions as fast as Carlo did.

5.) Oliver Kylington

- A very smooth skating offensive defenceman that has a very good mind for the game, and can quickly turn a defensive play into an offensive chance for his team. Possesses a very accurate shot and good skating ability.

*Honorable Mention: Zach Werenski

Free Agency (NCAA):

The Canucks brass may want to take a look at Ahti Oksanen, an offensive defenceman that can also play the wing (6'3, 207lbs). Needs to work on his skating ability, but sees the ice very well and can absolutely rip the puck.

Another quality player to take a look at would be Casey Nelson; strong two-way defender that sees opportunities as already-finished chances. Great finisher of plays and can be a catalyst for positive plays in all three zones.

If there's any player you feel interested about, please post a topic on them and I'll weigh in on what I've observed.

Tune in to the BMO Top Prospects Game this week!

Hi all,

Ever since I got my position with EliteProspects and MyNHLDraft, I've been very active in my scouting (though very quiet on CDC), watching an immense amount of major junior hockey and weighing in on various multinational players for numerous professional sources.

1.) Noah Hanifin

- Size, creativity, and speed; Noah Hanifin possesses the pro qualities that NHL teams desire in a defenceman

2.) Ivan Provorov

- Incredible speed and work ethic, Ivan Provorov is a dynamic defenceman involved in all three areas of the ice when the opposition is bearing down, or his team has the puck

3.) Jeremy Roy

- Plays a pro-style game; doesn't take the risks that many defencemen do and plays high percentage hockey. Does exhibit a high level of intelligence and keen awareness on the ice, and can dominate using his smarts.

- Gigantic defenceman (@ 6'5, 185lbs) who needs to find his offensive game and fill out his frame; that being said, his potential is sky high. His defensive game stands out as, probably, the best in this year's draft. Incredibly aware of everything that happens in the defensive zone and the neutral zone, and uses his size and skating ability (very good skater) to make high percentage, skilled plays in all three zones. As long as he sticks to his adaptive, defensive style, the offense will come.

example: During the world juniors, Brandon Carlo was stuck between two Finnish shooters, Kapanen and Hintz, and his goalie, Thatcher Demko, on a two on one. Demko had lost his stick in an earlier happening. Backskating quickly, Carlo gave his stick to Demko so he could make the save if the pass was made. Upon seeing Kapanen wind up, Carlo got down to block the shot.

In this play, Carlo makes two decisions: give his stick to Demko, as well as block the incoming shot. Many defencemen at this level would not be able to make these types of decisions as fast as Carlo did.

5.) Oliver Kylington

- A very smooth skating offensive defenceman that has a very good mind for the game, and can quickly turn a defensive play into an offensive chance for his team. Possesses a very accurate shot and good skating ability.

Free Agency (NCAA):

The Canucks brass may want to take a look at Ahti Oksanen, an offensive defenceman that can also play the wing (6'3, 207lbs). Needs to work on his skating ability, but sees the ice very well and can absolutely rip the puck.

Another quality player to take a look at would be Casey Nelson; strong two-way defender that sees opportunities as already-finished chances. Great finisher of plays and can be a catalyst for positive plays in all three zones.

If there's any player you feel interested about, please post a topic on them and I'll weigh in on what I've observed.

6'5 and Shoots right :shock: Sounds like a younger Chris Tanev with better size and more offensive potential. If we are picking around 18-20 I say we pick him up!!!

Watched Carlo just the other night. Was very good without the puck. Made sounds decisions as the bigger Tri-City team kept the smaller Giants players pretty much on the perimeter all night. Carlo was alright with the puck, but not amazing. He had trouble handling passes and didn't seem to have much of a shot. Projects as a shut-down type, I think, down the road.

An undrafted in that game that stuck out to me was Tri-Cities captain Justin Hamonic. He played just as solidly as Carlo and skated as smoothly (keeping in mind that he's 3yrs older) and is a giant of a man at 6'-4" 210lbs. It looks like he's facing opponent's top players a lot, so the high minus rating. Not worth a draft pick, but might be worth a look as an AHL-level signing when the time comes.

I would of course rank Kylington higher than Carlo. And of course Werenski. The Canucks need offense from the back end that isn't undersized and both players have much more offensive ability than Carlo, while being just as good defensively. Carlo may even be a late 1st rounder in this deep draft.

Roy is alright, but these offensive Q guys always seem to have certain flaws to their defensive game. He'll be on the ice for a lot of goals, for and against.

A guy who deserves mention is big Rasmus Andersson, who out-scored Forsling and Aho in the U18's and has carried that over to the NA game by being almost a ppg player in Barrie. He should be a mid-1st rounder this year.

Jeremy Roy is a very nimble skater that has been relied upon to be an all-around defenceman that can get the puck out of his own zone and create offense through using his teammates, as well as his innate offensive ability.

The reason I have not ranked Rasmus Andersson is that he doesn't have the Pedigree of the other players. Yes, he has a lot of good instincts and can execute plays, but he hasn't done so on every shift, consistently enough to say that he could be considered a top pick.

Quite frankly, he isn't relied upon in all situations because of various miscues and bad decision making.

I have Brandon Carlo rated so high because his defensive game stands out.

The other players are very good at both ends of the ice, but because Carlo doesn't possess much in the category of offense, he has had a chance to mold and built up one of the best defensive games I have ever seen from a prospect.

See it this way:

Hanifin, Werenski, J Roy, Provie, Kylington:
Defence ::D::D
Offense ::D::D

Carlo:

Defence ::D::D::D::D

Offense ::D

It's a different way of looking, but when you consider the game that Carlo brings, mature and so alert in his own-end play, you have to consider that a standout: especially because he's only 18 years old and has time to grow and define his all-around game even more in the coming years.

His instancts at both ends of the ice are very good as well; he has shown good footspeed, as well as a solid NHL shot.

Like the last guy said, he hasn't shown much in the area of offense or puckhandling skills, but that's not his game.

Watched Carlo just the other night. Was very good without the puck. Made sounds decisions as the bigger Tri-City team kept the smaller Giants players pretty much on the perimeter all night. Carlo was alright with the puck, but not amazing. He had trouble handling passes and didn't seem to have much of a shot. Projects as a shut-down type, I think, down the road.

An undrafted in that game that stuck out to me was Tri-Cities captain Justin Hamonic. He played just as solidly as Carlo and skated as smoothly (keeping in mind that he's 3yrs older) and is a giant of a man at 6'-4" 210lbs. It looks like he's facing opponent's top players a lot, so the high minus rating. Not worth a draft pick, but might be worth a look as an AHL-level signing when the time comes.

I would of course rank Kylington higher than Carlo. And of course Werenski. The Canucks need offense from the back end that isn't undersized and both players have much more offensive ability than Carlo, while being just as good defensively. Carlo may even be a late 1st rounder in this deep draft.

Roy is alright, but these offensive Q guys always seem to have certain flaws to their defensive game. He'll be on the ice for a lot of goals, for and against.

A guy who deserves mention is big Rasmus Andersson, who out-scored Forsling and Aho in the U18's and has carried that over to the NA game by being almost a ppg player in Barrie. He should be a mid-1st rounder this year.

I've been watching Carlo all season, and the Giants had Carlo's number; he plays differently against different teams, so one game really doesn't reflect much on Carlo 'down the road'.

All Q guys have defensive flaws? Is that a generalization or a legitimate truth?

Hi all,

1.) Noah Hanifin

2.) Ivan Provorov

3.) Jeremy Roy

- Plays a pro-style game; doesn't take the risks that many defencemen do and plays high percentage hockey. Does exhibit a high level of intelligence and keen awareness on the ice, and can dominate using his smarts. A deft skater that uses his teammates well and possesses very acute individual skills.

- Gigantic defenceman (@ 6'5, 185lbs) who needs to find his offensive game and fill out his frame; that being said, his potential is sky high: he skates very well, as his strides are deep and strong, and he possesses an NHL-level shot. His defensive game stands out as, probably, the best in this year's draft. Incredibly aware of everything that happens in the defensive zone and the neutral zone, and uses his size and skating ability to make high percentage, skilled plays in all three zones. As long as he sticks to his adaptive, defensive style, the offense will come.

5.) Oliver Kylington

Free Agency (NCAA):

congradulations on your job. scouting sounds like a fun job. quick question, any other player you think the Canucks should go after? How is Konecy doing?

There's no question that Carlo is good defensively. But this will only get him so far as an NHLer imho. His offensive skill is lacking.

Other prospects with natural offensive gifts can be taught the defensive aspects of the game that Carlo has worked out. Remember, they're only 17yr old kids. This is why those other prospects are ranked higher.

As for Rasmus, he is actually being used in all situations quite often. He can run a power play and be put out against top opposition forwards as well. The concern was that he'd take a bit of time to learn the North American game, but so far he's done exceptionally well. His father Peter Andersson was an NHLer who played for the Rangers for a time, so he comes from an accomplished pedigree. While he has size and physicality, It's his superior hockey iq, good decision making and offensive skills that will take him up 2015 draft rankings I believe.

On a team with Tanev and Corrado, RH defenders with a very similar skillset and upside, i'm not sure how Carlo is a very good fit anyway. Poor assessment there imho. However you promoted Ehlers coming to a team with Shinkaruk, so there is a pattern.

There's no question that Carlo is good defensively. But this will only get him so far as an NHLer imho. His offensive skill is lacking.

Other prospects with natural offensive gifts can be taught the defensive aspects of the game that Carlo has worked out. Remember, they're only 17yr old kids. This is why those other prospects are ranked higher.

As for Rasmus, he is actually being used in all situations quite often. He can run a power play and be put out against top opposition forwards as well. The concern was that he'd take a bit of time to learn the North American game, but so far he's done exceptionally well. His father Peter Andersson was an NHLer who played for the Rangers for a time, so he comes from an accomplished pedigree. While he has size and physicality, It's his superior hockey iq, good decision making and offensive skills that will take him up 2015 draft rankings I believe.

On a team with Tanev and Corrado, RH defenders with a very similar skillset and upside, i'm not sure how Carlo is a very good fit anyway. Poor assessment there imho. However you promoted Ehlers coming to a team with Shinkaruk, so there is a pattern.

I never said I didn't like Rasmus Andersson. Tell me something I don't know...

With Carlo, every team can use a defensive D that is ready in both size and possesses the smarts to make high percentage decisions that will lead to high percentage scoring chances. In this way, he is more NHL-ready than Provorov and Werenski. Carlo has gone above and beyond in working towards a more offensive game, and that will come, but his defensive game is better than a lot of NHL defencemen, in the way he reads plays and executes subsequently and quickly.

If you want to insult me, say it to my face. Then again I don't feel like that would be necessary, as you would probably come up with a million reasons not to - and it's a fact that I don't really give much thought to things people like you say (as it's basically the same crape that appears on every thread posts).

ASSess this: if we were to have a team full of players 6'0 and under, but they were all great skaters with high hockey IQ, would that matter when the opposition has the same - except for the fact that all of their players are 6'5? If there is an intelligent, smooth skating, 6'5 defensive defenceman that has room to improve upon in his offensive game, but already possesses the foundations to get there, we take him.

what's the deal with Rasmus Andersson? Seems like he's excellent in all 3 zones but is slotted to go in the 2nd round. And can you expand a little more on Roy, I haven't caught any Q games this year

which is the way I like it. Let him sleep until he gets to us.

The deal with Rasmus Andersson is that there are simply better players available that push him into the second round. He's an awesome player and highly intelligent in his role, and he would be a first rounder in any other draft, but he isn't of the pedigree of the first round candidates of this year's draft.

The second round should be something we look forward to as well.

congradulations on your job. scouting sounds like a fun job. quick question, any other player you think the Canucks should go after? How is Konecy doing?

Hey MPO,

Thanks so much; it is super fun - as a partner with MyNHLDraft and EliteProspects, I get access to footage and media of hockey teams all over the world: to put it simply - I'm in my hockey niche.

Konecny is having a tough time, but still exhibiting his fine leadership skills through on-ice actions.

I'm actually inclined to say that, if the Canucks are picking higher than 15 this year, there is a chance we could pick up Mathew Barzal. He has been playing a little bit off this year, and has fallen out of favor with many general managers.

Obviously we need a LHD more. Hopefully Benning picks one up. Esp. if he's a puckmover. Hamhuis is ufa soon. Prolly stay, but maybe not.

I hope Benning acquires more picks somehow. Good for the team and maybe shut people up about how their guy wasn't taken, zomg.

Barzal's been week to week with a knee injury. He was good until then, but take caution. Esp. when he injured it just goofing off.

Andersson can easily be in the first round. Low risk Defenders like him usually go quickly as they aren't plentiful.

Archived