The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning Interview on TSN 1040 - Jan 21

Giant Inflatable Beaver

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/canucks-gm-benning-talks-about-his-scouting-trip-and-current-road-tripjan-21-1.188757

Notes:

- Jim is currently on a scouting trip out east, soon to watch the prospects game and then catch Jared McCann play in Mississauga.

- If he is going to acquire someone, priority is a scoring forward. He will keep an eye on the future when making deals.

- Thinks that Nick Jensen has taken the next step in his development and could possibly end up being the scoring forward they need.

- Thinks Zack is a bit snake-bit and also just needs to keep working on his consistency and on working hard every night.

- Doesn't think Bieksa will be out for the whole season.

- Thinks Corrado is ready to be a full time NHLer. Likes his skating ability and first pass.

- Loves how Dorsett plays and think his work ethic is a great influence on Bo.

Interesting interview. Benning was pretty positive about every player who came up. But I was interested when he was about whether losing Bieksa was a big problem he talked about Bieksa being a veteren, a team leader, a "glue guy" in the room, about the team feeds off his energy, etc. But he did not actually say (despite being asked) that Bieksa was playing well. And he not disagree with the statement by the interviewer that the team is a better team with Corrado playing.

Bieksa has not had a great season -- one of the few players who has not had a bounce-back from last year. He have never been a consistently good player and with age-related decline setting in, I am not sure he helps the team. The team is better with Bieksa on the 3rd pairing, but he adds a risk reward diminsenion (more risk than reward) than you want on a third pairing.

I would still like to see Sanguinetti get a chance but I guess it won't happen now that Corrado has pretty much shown he belongs in the NHL.

Interesting interview. Benning was pretty positive about every player who came up. But I was interested when he was about whether losing Bieksa was a big problem he talked about Bieksa being a veteren, a team leader, a "glue guy" in the room, about the team feeds off his energy, etc. But he did not actually say (despite being asked) that Bieksa was playing well. And he not disagree with the statement by the interviewer that the team is a better team with Corrado playing.

Bieksa has not had a great season -- one of the few players who has not had a bounce-back from last year. He have never been a consistently good player and with age-related decline setting in, I am not sure he helps the team. The team is better with Bieksa on the 3rd pairing, but he adds a risk reward diminsenion (more risk than reward) than you want on a third pairing.

I would still like to see Sanguinetti get a chance but I guess it won't happen now that Corrado has pretty much shown he belongs in the NHL.

That's how benning answers questions. I don't think it was a knock on juice whatsoever. He spoke highly of him from what I heard. If anything, I thought he spoke lowly of Zack but even Zack he said positive things. Only negative was when he said he needs to work on his consistency which is true.

JB is a scouting guru - if he sees something in him, trust.

Also, why would you tell the radio that Kassian is ready to be traded? You'd get the lowest possible return.

Are we all not on the "Kassian sucks, lets drive him to the airport" bandwagon anymore?

Sorry my bad, I'll try to keep up next time ;)

Interesting stuff, it seems like Jensen will be here next year, Corrado will probably be here for the rest of year and starting next season, he likes Dorsett so re-signing him seems likely and he doesn't sound like he's "shopping" Kassian although that still doesn't mean he can't be traded for something that impresses JB.

What will our defence look like next season because Stanton, Sbisa, Tanev, Corrado and Weber are all RFAs. Tanev, Corrado are obviously going to get re-signed and that leaves one more spot which is as a #7 defenceman. I don't know if those guys want to play there but I like Stanton the most out of Sbisa and Weber. JB just traded for Sbisa, maybe he's going to let him walk?

Our forward group will be a bit filled up if Jensen arrives with Sedins, Vrbata, Burrows, Bonino, Higgins, Kassian, Jensen, Hansen, Horvat, Dorsett, Vey and we still have guys like Richardson and Matthias to sign. Gaunce, Cassels, Virtanen, Shinkaruk could find spots next year.

Some good depth to have, adding a top 6 winger would help alot. Or a 2nd line C that can take tough match-ups that leaves Bonino in the 3rd line to just score goals.

Agreed Warhippy

The other point that I got was that Benning thought that there would be "real good" players available in the 2nd round. Now, in previous interviews, he said that he would like more draft picks as well.

Am I reading between the lines too much by suggesting that he may deal either Lack or Markstrom by the draft and if not in a package, would he accept a 2nd pick?

I'm also getting that although he said that he'd like a scorer (they are hard to find and Jensen may be ready anyways), that he didn't expect to get anything other than probably an early 20's prospect with the players he might be willing to trade.

Also, he said that he was happy with the play of all players with NTC's so even though he would ask someone to waive, he's doesn't want to trade any of them.

Sound like a Plus Plus Plus to me and I would agree with most of it.

Personally I think Canucks need another top 4 defenseman... but hey I'm just an amateur.

If the Canucks didn't go out and traded for someone to replace Hamhuis when he went down, I doubt the Canucks will try to replace Bieksa with a trade.

Most likely Corrado is the Bieksa replacement.

I appreciate the consistency in Benning's answers. He doesn't flip-flop and while not totally turning his hand you can see patterns in how he sees players and things in general. As I kindof expected, he affirmed:

1. McCann is "his guy". I think he's really high on him.
2. Dorsett is also "his guy", as he is Linden's. They will do all they can to re-sign him.

3. Corrado is up to stay, for good. Word is they've been trying to move a D-man, but maybe not now with Bieksa out.

4. Jensen will probably play out the season in Utica, and if Canucks still playing will join them.

5. Knowing that Nick is close, priority in getting a top-6 will be guarded so as not to sacrifice the future.

6. That being said, no panic or rental deals coming. Anyone they acquire they intend to keep going forward.

7. He definitely wants to add more picks, likely 2nds.

In general, patience not panic! Surely must irk some people here...

I wish someone would ask him about Sanguinetti, to see if he intends to give him an audition, considering both he and Weber are on one year contracts and would be waiver-eligible again if resigned.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/canucks-gm-benning-talks-about-his-scouting-trip-and-current-road-tripjan-21-1.188757

Notes:

- If he is going to acquire someone, priority is a scoring forward. He will keep an eye on the future when making deals.

I would love to see the Canucks acquire T.J. Oshie. That guy could spark this team in a big way. Plus, he's Aboriginal, which would appease the native hockey gods on the unceded territory of Vancouver. Make it happen, Benning!

Not aure why he wouldnt be lookimg for a future scoring defenceman. Edlers good for another 3 years, Tanev and Corrado are great stable, shutdown defencemen but Sbisa/Stanton have been inconsistent tjis season, and the latter 4 are never going to put up big points. We need a puck moving young D-man to complement these fantastic shutdown defencemen.

Krug would fit our need perfectly but a puck moving left handed defenceman would fit better (eg. MORROW)

Edler - Tanev

Morrow - Corrado

Hamhuis - Sbisa

Stanton

Pretty good, well balanced defence for the Canucks in a couple of years time.

I would love to see the Canucks acquire T.J. Oshie. That guy could spark this team in a big way. Plus, he's Aboriginal, which would appease the native hockey gods on the unceded territory of Vancouver. Make it happen, Benning!

I really hate the attitude that you should acquire someone because they're of a specific race. I like Oshie as a player, and thats the only reason you should want them on your team.

That said, the price for him would likely be too high.

Sanguinetti was in the minors too long and became a career AHLer/fringe NHLer/ Euro league material.

That is the concerning thing if you stay in the minors too long and don't show something to get out of there and in a better pro NHL environment.

On second thought, I doubt that Benning went back east to look at McCann as his primary reason.

He went back there to look at who is going to be available in the draft... and he's looking at the good ones.

He is thinking about upgrading. :bigblush:

Blake Speers and Gustav Bouramman are two guys that he'll be looking to keep a close eye on when he goes to watch Jared and his team play. I'm glad he mentioned that he believes that there are going to be some very good players available in the 2nd round, because there really are. Speers and Bouramman are amongst those bunch who are projected to go somewhere in that round.

JB has me very excited! That was an awesome interview conducted by the host methinks.

edit: spelling

Archived