The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning Interview on TSN 1040 - Jan 21

Giant Inflatable Beaver

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/canucks-gm-benning-talks-about-his-scouting-trip-and-current-road-tripjan-21-1.188757

Summary:

- Jim is currently on a scouting trip out east, soon to watch the prospects game and then catch Jared McCann play in Mississauga.

- If he is going to acquire someone, priority is a scoring forward. He will keep an eye on the future when making deals.

- Thinks that Nick Jensen has taken the next step in his development and could possibly end up being the scoring forward they need.

- Thinks Zack is a bit snake-bit and also just needs to keep working on his consistency and on working hard every night.

- Doesn't think Bieksa will be out for the whole season.

- Thinks Corrado is ready to be a full time NHLer. Likes his skating ability and first pass.

- Loves how Dorsett plays and thinks his work ethic is a great influence on Bo.

I love these comments by JB!

Save one thing; Why no mention of improving the talent pool on our frickin blue line??? :shock:

I remain of the belief a solid D man who has the puck skills to break down opponents and lead the rush is our biggest weakness. Way more important than another scoring forward. I know I'm inviting all the comments re How do I know more than a NHL GM? I'm hoping he is just bluffing.

And will not make public our biggest weakness to deflate any negotiating position?

You guys implying Higgy might be moved for a Jensen re-call; I thought he was LW, whereas Nick plays off-wing, right-side?

By memory, Jensen was listed as a LW when he was drafted. He is a left shot and that makes it easier to operate on the left boards.

Of course its always exciting to see a pure sniper playing off side (see Ovechkin, Alex) so they might be shooting from the middle not the outside. Barrel loaded in the slot & ready to unload!

But the same is also said of Burrows, except his shot is not quite so dangerous. Someone else already noted Burr is a natural LW / left shot. Moving Higgins still leaves us with lots of options.

I think JB isn't worrying about trading for a D prospect because he knows he'll be able to load up on one or two in the first round this year.

The problem with this is most D prospects ''arrive'' when they are 21 or 22. Not 18...

Yeah I know Ekblad is tearing it up. Even a prospect as good as Seth Jones was just so-so his first year and decent this year. The Isles traded for Boychuck and Leddy so Griffin Reinhart and Ryan Pullock who are superb D prospects, amongst other reasons, could be developed properly.

Yes we should still draft D men this year. But we should not wait till 2018 to get better on D!

Be honest, how many of you thought that Dorsett was this good of a team player? He's more than exceeded my expectations of him. Is it because of his history with Willie, or the roll he was given?

Dorsett has proven that you can go all out 100% of the time playing 10-15 minutes a night. I hope the other players catch that too.

Dorsett works super hard all shift then absolutely high tails it back to the bench for shift change.

Guys a gem.

Dorsett has proven that you can go all out 100% of the time playing 10-15 minutes a night. I hope the other players catch that too.

Dorsett works super hard all shift then absolutely high tails it back to the bench for shift change.

Guys a gem.

Agreed. I wonder what AV's reaction was when he heard they traded him. He must have loved the guy.

Benning sure does a lot of interviews with TSN 1040.

Your right he does. He does them at the right time too. Whenever I begin to doubt or have concern he does an interview that aleviates my stress and concern. Hes so calm, patient, and confident. Its nice having him do these to help settle us down. We get pretty rambunctious so hes a good calming influence. Love the interviews. Great timing on them too.

It would make sense to keep Kassian til the draft. So you can deal him for a pick when you know a player is still on the board. If we could get a late 1st for him I would be very happy. I know it would be considered lower then what he originally cost which was a 10th overall pick but with Jim's scouting I'm sure we could get a very good pick around that range. A lot of quality d man are still available in the early to mid 20's in a regular draft. This draft is even more stacked so we could really land a gem. So many quality d have been taken around 20-25 these past few years.

Interesting in what Jim doesn't say. Is he meeting with any GM's back east? Would he move any of his picks if it meant a trade for an excellent young NHL player that would help the team's offensive needs on wing and d? There is a deficiency of scoring from your back end,Jim. What are your plans to change that? My thanks to the OP.

a noted absence of commentary on your part regarding his statement that all the guys with NTCs are playing well and he's not looking to move any of them

ouch.

that sure spells a whole lot of wasted posts on your behalf, having been trying to speak for him and saying precisely the opposite.

It was interesting listening in and I picked up on a couple of points:

- Benning mentioned how Bieksa will be missed in the locker room, yet doesn't mention his on ice play. He seemed careful to word it that sentence

- Benning also seemed to indirectly acknowledge that one of Lack or Markstrom will stay and the other will go eventually

That being said, it's also pretty evident that players are expensive to trade for. He mentioned what other teams are looking for in order to acquire a defenseman at the town hall, and now he mentions how expensive it is for a scorer. I'm glad he's not going to give up the farm for anything though as he indicated.

"...priority is a scoring forward"

And for a $500,000 quibble, (1.5 instead of 1) which he had in wriggle room, and/or a 2 year instead of 1 year, he could have had Santorelli stay. Chicken feed in the total cap allowance. A local kid that wanted to play here and was outscoring and outworking our best forwards last season. He's got 26 points and a +6 rating on a dismal Leafs team this season. Could have even traded Sestito early on for a low pick to get back some cap space.

I still have not heard a good explaination from Benning on this drop of the ball puck. The way he and Linden just seemed to shrug their shoulders about it like it was a non issue bugged me.

"...priority is a scoring forward"

And for a $500,000 quibble, (1.5 instead of 1) which he had in wriggle room, and/or a 2 year instead of 1 year, he could have had Santorelli stay. Chicken feed in the total cap allowance. A local kid that wanted to play here and was outscoring and outworking our best forwards last season. He's got 26 points and a +6 rating on a dismal Leafs team this season. Could have even traded Sestito early on for a low pick to get back some cap space.

I still have not heard a good explaination from Benning on this drop of the ball puck. The way he and Linden just seemed to shrug their shoulders about it like it was a non issue bugged me.

Why do you need an explanation? They passed on him. That is all the explanation needed.

Archived