The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning Interview on TSN 1040 - Jan 21

Giant Inflatable Beaver

It would make sense to keep Kassian til the draft. So you can deal him for a pick when you know a player is still on the board. If we could get a late 1st for him I would be very happy. I know it would be considered lower then what he originally cost which was a 10th overall pick but with Jim's scouting I'm sure we could get a very good pick around that range. A lot of quality d man are still available in the early to mid 20's in a regular draft. This draft is even more stacked so we could really land a gem. So many quality d have been taken around 20-25 these past few years.

This If theres a guy Benning really likes thats in the 22-26 range who has fallen i can see Benning offering Kassian and Markstrom to this team ( Who is probably a playoff contender) for the pick and a d-man prospect Benning likes

They went with Vey instead of Santorelli, it's now all about hindsight.

Even at the time it felt wrong. Santo played amazing for us on a team that just didn't seem like it cared. Guy battled every shift. Played all over the ice and was great in his own zone. He was a mini Kesler without the douchebaggery.

But back to Benning's interview. Same old same old for his assessment of Kass. He's been working on consistency for as long as he's been here. Career 3rd liner. Said it last will say it again. Nothing wrong with that.

They went with Vey instead of Santorelli, it's now all about hindsight.

And gave up a second round pick. But hey could have even still made that deal. It seems they still don't have what they need in scoring even with Vey. Like I said, they could have gotten rid of Sesito early to make room. Yeah its hindsight, I'll grant you that.

Why do you need an explanation? They passed on him. That is all the explanation needed.

Yes sir! Forgive me for even asking. I have the gall to want to understand their puzzling thought process about just letting our best forward of that season while he played, just slip away for such a petty amount.

Dorsett has proven that you can go all out 100% of the time playing 10-15 minutes a night. I hope the other players catch that too.

Dorsett works super hard all shift then absolutely high tails it back to the bench for shift change.

Guys a gem.

Plus, he's giving Horvat a bit of space on the ice. The one thing I've noticed is that no one takes shots at Horvat when he's on the ice with Dorsett. Hansen is playing "bigger" on that fourth line as well.

This If theres a guy Benning really likes thats in the 22-26 range who has fallen i can see Benning offering Kassian and Markstrom to this team ( Who is probably a playoff contender) for the pick and a d-man prospect Benning likes

Not one, but two NHL ready players for a late 1st round pick? :huh:

Just my opinion, but thats bad value selling in a big way!

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/canucks-gm-benning-talks-about-his-scouting-trip-and-current-road-tripjan-21-1.188757

Summary:

- Jim is currently on a scouting trip out east, soon to watch the prospects game and then catch Jared McCann play in Mississauga.

- If he is going to acquire someone, priority is a scoring forward. He will keep an eye on the future when making deals.

- Thinks that Nick Jensen has taken the next step in his development and could possibly end up being the scoring forward they need.

- Thinks Zack is a bit snake-bit and also just needs to keep working on his consistency and on working hard every night.

- Doesn't think Bieksa will be out for the whole season.

- Thinks Corrado is ready to be a full time NHLer. Likes his skating ability and first pass.

- Loves how Dorsett plays and thinks his work ethic is a great influence on Bo.

Plus I like JB's use of the word, stuff.

Plus, he's giving Horvat a bit of space on the ice. The one thing I've noticed is that no one takes shots at Horvat when he's on the ice with Dorsett. Hansen is playing "bigger" on that fourth line as well.

Great points. Dorsett has been far better than I would have e3xpected not knowing much of this guy. What a bonus for Horvat and Hansen.

The Canucks have 2 needs that I'm sure we can all agree on. Top 6 forward, Top 4 D.

Benning did say that perhaps the "scorer" that he wants is already in the system. ie Jensen

Maybe the top 4 D is there too. ie Corrado

The development of these two would be ideal and very fortunate if it actually happened.

In previous interviews he also said that trading for a top 4 D would likely cost a 1st pick and a roster player. This is the price in general terms. I expect the same is true for a top 6 forward. Now, Benning has also said that he has no intention of trading draft picks or prospects which makes picking up an asset like this difficult because everyone wants picks, especially this year.

The long and the short of it is that to pick up a prime asset, Benning will have to surrender a piece that he would rather keep. This is why I think that if he does make such a move, it'll happen in the offseason. And like I have said, he has one or two players who are poised to make that next step. One or both or neither will make it. Which is the other reason Benning may just want to wait and see.

Lets not completely label Sanguinetti just yet. Hes only a year and a half older than Kassian, was a first round pick and just made the AHL all star team for the first time. Maybe he's a late bloomer?

Maybe. Running out of opportunities though already has plenty of experience in the AHL and was in the KHL last year.

I see him as a Yannick Weber type. Who can put up good numbers in the AHL but he is too big of a liability defensively to get a shot to show what he can do offensively at the NHL level.

a noted absence of commentary on your part regarding his statement that all the guys with NTCs are playing well and he's not looking to move any of them

ouch.

that sure spells a whole lot of wasted posts on your behalf, having been trying to speak for him and saying precisely the opposite.

Contrary to your contention, Benning is on the record as saying he had no problem asking vets with NTC's to waive.

My position is that it is their right(full NTC's) not to and I don't expect them to.

However,moving older vets at the trade deadline is an effective strategy.

I also believe pretty much believe nothing a GM spouts on public radio.

Makes good PR for the franchise and gives him an opportunity to spin his game.

A lot of fans lap it up and that is as it should be.

Contrary to your contention, Benning is on the record as saying he had no problem asking vets with NTC's to waive.

My position is that it is their right(full NTC's) not to and I don't expect them to.

So everything you tell us what Benning is doing is just spin to trick us.

Your talking to a message board where 99% of the posters believe every public statement they hear is the whole and complete truth, good luck with this one.

We all know linden would never not be 100% truthful with us..... Hold on didn't he say he was not in talks with the Canucks the day before he was hired? Benning would never do such a thing though, he's unlike all the rest of the GMs?

Edit; we all need to remember that GMs use the media as a negotiating tool to help or influence there negotiations.

Your talking to a message board where 99% of the posters believe every public statement they hear is the whole and complete truth, good luck with this one.

We all know linden would never not be 100% truthful with us..... Hold on didn't he say he was not in talks with the Canucks the day before he was hired? Benning would never do such a thing though, he's unlike all the rest of the GMs?

Edit; we all need to remember that GMs use the media as a negotiating tool to help or influence there negotiations.

I guess you are in the 1% of the posters that believe every public statement they hear is the whole and complete B.S.

Linden was forced to deny getting the Presidents position, because Gillis had not been notified he had been fired yet.

Linden's integrity is beyond solid.

Benning being forthright and honest with his answers is a welcome change from Gillis's " It's a process"

You're also talking to a message board where people jump to ridiculous conclusions because they pretend to know exactly what's going on behind the scenes

What do you mean? Aren't we gunning for the cup/tanking for McDavid/hating Kassian/loving Kassian/trading our vets/buying at deadline/selling at deadline/developing youth/keeping old core.... Etc etc etc.

I guess you are in the 1% of the posters that believe every public statement they hear is the whole and complete B.S.

Benning being forthright and honest with his answers is a welcome change from Gillis's " It's a process"

Benning gives the generic sound bites about how X,Y and Z are playing/expectations/promises and is far more competent and forthright than his predecessor

Any fan that believes everything a GM says is in the 1% segment.

Most adults understand that he can't talk about what he actually does/discusses with his players and peers.

He gives what he can,which is refreshing after what we have had to accept.

Archived