The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shorty vs. Kenward vs. Abbott

Frank Caprice

First Post! I've followed the boards for a while and thought this was as good of a time to jump in. I hope you guys don't mind my $.02....

Over the years, we have been fortunate to have some of the best play by play broadcasters around. Whether it was the two Jim's, Shorty and heck, even Baller! They have all been pretty good. To be honest, Kenward and Abbot are growing on me but aren't quite there yet. That being said, with respect to Hughson and Shorthouse, it's Jim Robson hands down. Back in the day when games were rarely on TV, Robson could describe the game over the radio like no other and had that special ability to give you the "mental visual" of the game as it happened. As good as the guys are now, they just don't have that same special talent that Robson had. At least not yet....

I feel bad admitting this but I actually think that one of the issues I have with John Abbott is that he comes from Ontario and the Toronto Maple Leafs organization. I would've preferred to see Kenward, who is from Nanaimo, or another homegrown BC talent who grew up cheering for the Canucks, get the full-time radio gig.

I'm the same. I find it hard to believe that in the entire province of BC they couldn't find a local replacement for Shorthouse. This is a top down decission from TO head office. The TV between game reviews seem to originate in TO Not enough local input IMO

First Post! I've followed the boards for a while and thought this was as good of a time to jump in. I hope you guys don't mind my $.02....

Over the years, we have been fortunate to have some of the best play by play broadcasters around. Whether it was the two Jim's, Shorty and heck, even Baller! They have all been pretty good. To be honest, Kenward and Abbot are growing on me but aren't quite there yet. That being said, with respect to Hughson and Shorthouse, it's Jim Robson hands down. Back in the day when games were rarely on TV, Robson could describe the game over the radio like no other and had that special ability to give you the "mental visual" of the game as it happened. As good as the guys are now, they just don't have that same special talent that Robson had. At least not yet....

"Mental Vision" yeah that's it, you could see the game.

Jim was such a gentleman as well, good sport and excellent language skills.

Congrats on your first post and welcome aboard.

American broadcasters use cheesy lines and are way to over exuberant for my liking. Not sure how thats laid back? I think Shorthouse is probably just too intellectual for the Duck Dynasty crowd like yourself, who probably prefer people with limited vocabulary that you can understand.

Arguing that somebody is stupid while using an insult as the primary engine driving your point. Talk about displaying traits of your own projected insult.

One of the main digs on americans from folks who like to generalize bilions of people into one category is that they are ignorant. The irony is pAthetic. I apologize for having an opinion. Good thing you were around to slap me down god forbid anyone likes something you don't.

I think people should cut Kenward some slack, he's been a solid Junior play by play guy for a while now and he's getting better.

This is one of Jim Robson's first broadcasts in 1956 on CJAV in Port Alberni, I think he was 21 and green as hell

Is this your old radio I'm looking at here ARF? :P

Arguing that somebody is stupid while using an insult as the primary engine driving your point. Talk about displaying traits of your own projected insult.

One of the main digs on americans from folks who like to generalize bilions of people into one category is that they are ignorant. The irony is pAthetic. I apologize for having an opinion. Good thing you were around to slap me down god forbid anyone likes something you don't.

Attack Shorty and deal with the wrath! Hahaha

Seriously though, no need to cry!

There's Billions of Americans? Whoa guess I am the ignorant 1! I though there was only about 325 million. Guess all those illegals make up the difference!

I didnt attack shorty i said i prefered a different style.

Oh, ok ignore the whole post and issue at hand and call me out for a technicality that had nothing to do with the point.

Ill let your comments be forever etched into the internet for what they are, immature and dough headed. Wow man you really told me!

Kenny albert is the man and if ya'll dont know who he is , then ya'll really dont know what your talking about when it comes to american broadcasters.

i do prefer most american broadcasters to shorty aswell... i dont think shorty does a great job for TV...far too descriptive, and when action gets frantic around the net so does he and he tries to describe everything happening lightning fast.. great for radio never really dialed it back for TV... we dont need all that for TV we are watching the game...

i seen someone before post that they didnt like hughson because he talks during the play... but thats what the best ones do (if its about the game and if it contributes to the game) bob cole will stop calling every second play and say stuff like "ohh baby what a dandy we have going now folks ,you can feel this place buzzing and the players can feel it too.." all that said as the puck is in play and 4 or 5 different plays has happend ,but bob knows we dont need every detail because hes on TV!!!.

Shorty for me. Kenward was good, but he can't replace was Shorthouse brings.

I'm actually not a fan of Garret. I find him hilarious, and he knows hockey so well, but he's way too biased for my liking. Haha mind you he'a a lot more tolerable than Jack Edwards.

I didnt attack shorty i said i prefered a different style.

Oh, ok ignore the whole post and issue at hand and call me out for a technicality that had nothing to do with the point.

Ill let your comments be forever etched into the internet for what they are, immature and dough headed. Wow man you really told me!

Wow talk about sensitive! Just walk upstairs from your moms basement, and ask her for a hug..... and some meatloaf!

Shorty for me. Kenward was good, but he can't replace was Shorthouse brings.

I'm actually not a fan of Garret. I find him hilarious, and he knows hockey so well, but he's way too biased for my liking. Haha mind you he'a a lot more tolerable than Jack Edwards.

I kinda like Garret's homerism. I'd rather listen to a Canucks supporter as opposed to someone who dislikes the team and puts them down every chance they get.

...forbid me for calling you a flamin troll sucking d bag. that was an opinion. so is this.

Archived