The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

3 players Vancouver can afford to lose (proposals)

Been thinking about this a lot lately, and given that we shouldn't be trading away, our top end players (Yes it pains me to say that) I suggest we can afford to loose these guys......

#1. Eddy Lack.......With Eddy only having 2 years left, before he is a UFA, and the pressure from Markstrom and Eriksson to be given a chance to play at the NHL level, Eddy is a no brainer to be traded. His value is a 2nd RD pick.

Teams that may be interested in him are: Islanders, Penguins, Winnipeg, Washington, Ottawa, Minni, Phili, Arizona, and Carolina

#2. Zack Kassian.......Zack is starting to wear out his welcome here, by that I am meaning he has not shown his want to perform at the peak of his abilities on a regular basis........I believe it is a now or never time for Vancouver with Zack, and even with his value at a all time low, he could still be able to bring in a solid 2nd round pick. Now some may wonder why only a 2nd, but with this years draft being as solid as it has been touted, picks in the bottom half of the first and well into the second will have a value, In most cases to that of a mid 1st in most other years.......those stating that Zack is worth a first would be satisfied with the return in 3 or 4 years.......if he stays, he may not even contribute in any valuable way. Either way........he has had enough rope and has just ran his course

Teams that be interested in him could be: Pitts, Washington, Boston, Ottawa, Minni and New Jersey

(Those at the top end of the league would have to add.....Don't expect prospects back for him....unless well used)

#3. Chris Higgins.......Chris is an interesting player, as he appears and disappears offensively, like Houdini, but defensively, he is a extremely valuable player, being very dependable year after year in tight situations.......Teams with good to high probability of reaching the second to the third round of the playoffs would love Chris, for this reason alone, any of the top 10 teams should be interested. He has a very marketable contract. His value I believe should be a late 2nd Rd + a late 3rd Rd

Teams Vancouver would trade Chris to: Nash, Tampa, NYI, Chicago, Montreal, Pitts, Jets, Rangers, Caps, Boston, Florida

The Laddie Eck is loose in the hoose.

Lucky bugger, never seems to have an off day. If he's dealt, the buyer should add a late pick to obtain Eddie's grin.

Possible destinations, I'd say you could add a few more:

Mtl, Buff, Edm, CBJ, Dall & Flor. Although not sure Winn or Ott would be that interested, as things currently sit.

Many teams could use him as a 1B/PO insurance policy.

Pretty much agree with you Nuxfanabroad, you could add those team to Eddie's list........I look forward to this years deadline......so may variables ....Bennings got his calendar full

- possible trades at the deadline.....aka Lack, Kassian, and Higgins

- a floating Team cap.......(with dollar being so low, there is talk it could drop below what is anticipated...might not even move up)......I think it was in the Province on Friday, where they mentioned that......it was just a mention

- RFA's to resign aka Tanev and Vey.......a lot of prospects as well

- Team UFA's to decide what to do with

- 2015 Draft

- UFA's to consider

- re-address Organization...aka scouting

- playoffs or no playoffs

And it all starts in a month...or thereabouts....its going to be very interesting

Hey I knew I threw that cap issue out of left field.........just a random though based on that article........interesting info though as they said for every 1 cent the cap drops below 85 cents...it cost the Canucks and other Canadian teams I am sure about $700,000.00 per. So they are down about $3,500,000 just to get to 85 CENTS....they actually need around 90 cents to make it profitable...sure not it's helping those equalization payments

Sorry for babbling

The Canucks could afford to lose a number of players, but then that assumes the return for trading them is worthwhile. Hell, we could afford to lose the Sedins if it meant getting a top flight prospect and a very high pick in the first round this year.

Then again, that also assumes the teams suggested want them, that they'll agree to go there if they have an NTC, etc. etc.

Glad you mentioned the cap, Jan, it's a mighty important variable to factor in.

The NHLPA has to vote on increasing 5%, & it sounds they're PO'ed that higher amounts of escrow seem in-vogue. Apparently last summer they almost voted down an increase, due to a higher escrow-retention.

I'm callin' it here & now..mostly due to economic uncertainty(esp oil affecting currency), the cap will HOVER, coming in at 70 mill even.

All of Battman's estimates are predicated upon the NHLPA accepting a 5% hike..gives him something to whine about later.

UFA's will be cheap, as 6 or 7 top teams will be forced into a sell-off.

SIDENOTE: Due to this, if I'm TO(& they've decided to clean house), they'd best get trading, PDQ...

Hey I knew I threw that cap issue out of left field.........just a random though based on that article........interesting info though as they said for every 1 cent the cap drops below 85 cents...it cost the Canucks and other Canadian teams I am sure about $700,000.00 per. So they are down about $3,500,000 just to get to 85 CENTS....they actually need around 90 cents to make it profitable...sure not it's helping those equalization payments

Sorry for babbling

given that player salaries are paid in US dollars

i'm pretty confident that the team has tracked the dollar trend

and hopefully bought a high volume of US dollars when it was on par or closer to par

this will be a bigger issue next year i suspect

Bang on Coastal...........they actually said a little bit about that too ( buying US $ etc.)......did you see the article?

Yes, Nux....I would imagine Toronto is spinning a little fast these days! LOL

Desi..........the operative word is Kassian "could" help us in the playoffs, but he should get off his fat A$$ pretty darn soon, and try getting ready to see if he can help us get to the playoffs! Hey, I have been a Kassian supporter since he got here, but I am getting a little tired of it..........and if Kassian started playing a little better, we wouldn't be thinking of trading him, at any point. But...........

Point taken Elvis

Lack is worth more than a 2nd round pick.

I swear I am the only person on this forum that doesn't want to trade Kassian.

1. Do you have reason for Lack's value? I'm finding it hard to imagine it given the Dubnyk trade recently.

2. Have you asked wallstreetamigo about his views on trading Kassian lately? He's been arguing strongly and very frequently in Kassian's favour.

This is a responsible list Janice! Not a total rebuild. Just good use of assets that currently are not making a major impact.

I personally prefer to keep Kassian unless its for an NHL ready prospect who potentially fits in better. To me Kassian is falling out of favour with the coach because he does not play the pressure defensive style being deployed. But he's still a viable NHL player IMO. I suppose its then all about the return and I could be sold. But the return might need to be a pleasant surprise as we do not have an obvious replacement who is NHL ready.

But one of Lack or Markstrom being offered is smart asset management. And we only need a strong push from some young winger (hell, even Kassian) to make Higgins redundant.

I think the Isles are a dead set obvious destination for a Lack / Higgins package? Higgins would probably waive to go home. Matt Martin the Isles natural 3 LW has 8 points. Eric Boulton is 38 and has less than 15 NHL points in the last FIVE years. But has made it into their lineup sporadically. Really they have been using centers to fill the spot, but will need depth if they are to go on a run. Chad Johnson as Halak's backup is hovering around just an .870 save % there. So Lack is a clear upgrade. As much as everyone clamors for a pick in this draft; I would pay Lack, Higgins and our first to bring Griffin Reinhart home. I would probably pay it or close to it for Pullock? He is only one small step lower on the ladder. But is a punishing big D with a booming right handed shot who perhaps fits even better here! Add to it; the Islanders are in a mood to see some play off success and will most certainly be buyers for what we have?

Edit: I bet retaining a 1st after losing one on Vanek last year might hold some weight?

Win / Win! :towel:

Sorry for babbling

NHL team are (in general) run by very smart people. All of the Canadian team hedge against the fall of the Canadian Dollar, there will be very little effect on teams for this season.

I can see Lack (2nd), Higgins (2nd), and Richardson(3rd) traded for picks. Weber could be moved for a 5th round pick.

Benning must know that this team isn't going to make it out of the first round (playoffs aren't even a given). Despite the stated goal of making the playoffs, the management team must realize that the priority should be continuing to add talent though the draft. This season more than ever before they look old and slow.

I am glad to see that I'm not alone in wanting Kassian to stay. Too few people recall that Todd Bertuzzi didn't have more than 33 points in a season until he was 25. Unfortunately a change of scenery may ultimately be what he needs to wake up and start putting it all together.

Archived