The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Vancouver and Philadelphia

I see a lot of posts running that involve moving Eddie Lack (which I believe will happen before next season unless there's a major injury in net).

Let's try dealing from strength of 2 teams;

To Phil:

Lack

Gaunce

To Van:

Samuel Morin

Maxim Lamarche

Philadelphia is shallow at both center and goal and could really use someone strengthen them at both positions. I like Gaunce, but we are pretty deep at center right now. Lack, I'll be sorry to see him leave, love his attitude, but I feel like he is the odd man out in the crease and needs to be moved. He would give Phil, a guy that can immediately handle a solid backup roll for them and potentially become a solid starter for them.

Vancouver, has drafted heavily upfront and specifically at center over the last few years and doesn't have many solid options to pull up on defense. Morin is still in Junior, but will be able to play AHL next year and projects as a player who could step into our line up in a couple of years. Lamarche is more of a balance of contracts and more of a depth (hopefully 6th or 7th dman down the road).

I don't see this as an immediate move for either team, more of something at the draft or during summer. I think Vancouver will hold firm in net through the end of the season and give Utica the best chance possible to go deep in the playoffs riding the tandem they have down there.

Thoughts?

I'd do it.

Despite a sub-par world junior performance outta Morin, I seriously love him as a player and would fit well here in the west. Good size, can prove that he put points, strong, calm defense-man. He's 19, and might be still growing. He might be 6'8 or a hair under 6'9 potentially, (same thing happened to Chara when he was drafted.)

I think it's a good start but I'd rather have Sanheim IMO. Don't know if the big, immobile guy is a good fit in the future when Travis is someone who can move around better.

Also, I'm confident that we can get a better return than Lamarche, who seems like a throw-in. Gaunce and Morin (Sanheim for me) should be about the same in value, so Lack for this D-man isn't worth it. Maybe Lack and a low pick for both?

Flyers have the league worst defense despite spending close to the most in the NHL on their blue line. They aren't giving up any of their young defenseman in Hagg, Morin or Sanheim. As far as center, they have Laughton who is a better prospect than Gaunce so this deal makes little sense from the Flyers perspective.

Philly is stacked down the middle. Schenn, Couturier, Laughton are all young centermen that are better than Gaunce. I think a deal involving one of our tenders could be had however. Dont think they give up on Morin though.

They are pretty good down the middle at the NHL level, but they really have only 2 center prospects in the system. Gaunce needs to finish this year in the AHL and likely needs a year of just call up duty for the moment.

Laughton and Cousins are really the only 2 guys who would classify as prospects.

I agree that Morin is someone they value highly, and I'm not convinced what I've proposed would get it done, but it might be enough to start a discussion.

Imagine our blueline in a few years with Morin, Pedan, and Tryamkin patrolling it! That would be intimidating!

Morins value may have dropped after a pretty weak World Juniors but he's having a hell of a year right now. Would take a hell of a lot to get Philadelphia to part with him because they need him in their organization.

The only way we get Morin is if we give up a future defenceman to fill his void in return.

Lack + Sbisa + Kassian for Morin + 2rd round pick

Morins value may have dropped after a pretty weak World Juniors but he's having a hell of a year right now. Would take a hell of a lot to get Philadelphia to part with him because they need him in their organization.

The only way we get Morin is if we give up a future defenceman to fill his void in return.

Flyers have too many defeseman like Sbisa already, the inconsistent type. They have already had him in their system once. I don't see why they would want him back especially at the cost of Morin.

Holy overpayment for an unproven player...

Personally, I don't think my proposal is that far off value wise.

Good, solid goalie and a good center prospect for a good defense prospect and a throw in!

The only reason I put Lamarche in this deal was to balance the contract numbers. Could be anyone that the Flyers want to shed as a contract number.

Archived