The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Buffalo closing in on the league record of most losses in a row

Goat James

I can't believe Bettman actually stood there during his interview yesterday and said with a straight face that there aren't any management teams purposely tanking :lol: What a comedian

With all due respect to your opinion, Bettman is right. There are no teams tanking.

No GM would risk their job.

The only form of "tanking" a GM could partake in is doing nothing, because it's the safest bet for them. Coach would be the first to go.

IMO, the reason teams do bad is because they're broken. There's no chemistry. No leaders.

Buffalo had a shot at beating us last night, but did you see how they collapsed as a unit after we scored a couple?

Still not sure why Gionta left a Stanley Cup contender in Montreal for a basement dweller in Buffalo.

Montreal didn't want him any longer and he grew up only 90 minutes away from Buffalo. So basically, the Sabres are his hometown team. That and he was probably offered more money by the Sabres than any other team.

wasnt that their debut season? that could probably be a write off, considering where they are now and havent folded. the sabres have been around as long as the canucks have and i dont think even in the canucks' worst years have sucked as much as buffalo does now

If we do worse then them in the future we will blame you 100%

I have a horrible feeling Toronto is going to win the Draft Lottery.

Speaking of Buffalo, does anyone else think Tyler Myers is very overrated on this board? He did finish even in +/-, but he played over 6 minutes and I didn't even notice him.

nah... I think I know who it will be. I will tell you who it was when the lottery is over so that the league doesn't change who it is because I posted it.

:ph34r::ph34r:

With all due respect to your opinion, Bettman is right. There are no teams tanking.

No GM would risk their job.

The only form of "tanking" a GM could partake in is doing nothing, because it's the safest bet for them. Coach would be the first to go.

IMO, the reason teams do bad is because they're broken. There's no chemistry. No leaders.

Buffalo had a shot at beating us last night, but did you see how they collapsed as a unit after we scored a couple?

I also can't buy into the purposely tanking theory. Why would the players, as a whole, purposely sabotage not only the teams success, but their own personal stats as well?

1. Players careers are short in the NHL for the most part. They would want to eek out as much $ as they can while they play. What happens in their next contract negotiations whether with the Sabres or more than likely with another team if they have low numbers?

2. Why would players be playing badly just so that the team would land some young hotshot like McDavid to take their place in the lineup next season? And I don't think that "But but but coach..I was purposely playing badly nudge nudge" would help their argument to not be replaced. Also, a bad team with bad playing habits, would not overnight suddenly become a contender because of one 18 year old rookie on the team.

3. The same goes for management and coaching. Do you honestly think Eakins is in a good place to land another job after Edmonton? Why would any coach go along with such a scheme? The same would go to the GM. From his position, sure he could be working with the owner to trade away their few really good players (that refused to go along with the tanking idea) for picks and schmucks and pylons for the present team, but they'd be the laughing stock of the league, and that GM would never land another job.

4. Simply that for trained athletes, it goes against everything they have been conditioned to strive for since they were kids. It stretches all credibility that you could even assemble 20 of these kinds of players willing to throw their character, pride, and skills out the door for the hope that one day...when the great #1 pick develops..probably after they've played their best hockey and may even be traded or retired...their present team will have a legitimate shot at a Cup.

Just like a good team has the right combination of health, luck, skill and talent, and chemistry, plus a smart GM and coach, a bad team has just the opposite. And add to that the snowball effect of losing and the mental fatigue that instills. It happens.

Toronto is closing in fast behind with 9 straight now

Buffalo's losing streak is especially "impressive" because this is the era of the loser point. They've lost 14 straight in regulation.

Why? Wouldn't getting a "tie" back then break a "losing streak"?

Come on Buff, at least take someone to OT every now and then like Edmonton does, don't make it so obvious

They try, but like I said the other day, they're an AHL calibre team that couldn't even win the Calder Cup. They are that bad. That's why I think that Tim Murray is icing that team in order to tank. Anybody who thinks that it's the players themselves that are tanking need to get a clue.

There is no good reason for players themselves to tank or play poorly. You have to remember they are playing for ice time and contracts. They don't want to be looking for a job in Europe once McDavid jumps on board.

At least you'll be happy seeing as that you will most likely get McDavid. UNLESS we miss the playoffs and with our 1% chance of getting first overall, we get it :D

Canucks miss the playoffs on the last day, the Sabres finish in last overall. The Canucks win the lottery in the ultimate payback for Gilbert Perrault

Archived