The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Wild @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

our powerplay did show up, scoring 1 legitimate goal on 4 attempts for a 25% conversion rate, which is very respectable

So score a goal and all is solved?

Sometimes it looks good, but most of the time they can hardly set up.

They don't need to score every time, but they need to be consistent in getting chances every time.

What do I mean by that? Control the puck in the zone and get shots through. It's as simple as that, it really is.

I get what the Sedins are doing, but cycling the puck for a minute just to get a shot from the blue line isn't going to solve anything.

I agree with Valk. Daniel needs to be the trigger guy too.

Keep Burr in front of the net, put Danny in the slot, keep Vrby where he is, keep Edler where he is, and suddenly Hank has options :shock:

A couple quick passes to move the penalty killers out of position and then tee it up for one of Daniel, Vrbata, or Edler.

Burrows can screen and get the rebounds.

I don't think the Canucks staff and players are being absolved of any blame, all too often that gets lumped in with officiating complaints.

Yes we sucked in the 2nd and could have been a lot better. But the refs still blew a massive call. No matter how much we sucked that doesn't change that the refs screwed up.

The Post Game comments tell the tale.

A lot of we can do better, Minni is a good team. We are better etc bad calls try harder.

Players are NOT taking the blame. Kenins was spot on, average game i can do better. The core is old the country club mentality is old and I would like some accountability. Higgins more than invisible tonight, Vey mediocre to sub par Bonino Higgins esque.

When will we start seeing established vets sitting, in trade talks being held accountable.

That's what i want to know. 3 coaches, 3 seasons of the same issues. when does change start

Now my favourite part of the night when SportsNet interviews the opposing team player on Canucks TV. Seriously what Canucks fan wants to watch a MInnesota player talking about beating our team????

The team again essentially looked invisible out there. I can't honestly identify any hockey players or get any sense of the style of a line, because there's very little playmaking going on now. There isn't a hard checking line that is noticably trapping teams in their own zone or a fast moving line that is scoring or a rock solid defensive line shutting down opposing teams top line. All lines look the same right now, basically floating around and avoiding getting in front of the net.

Watching a replay in the Nashville Pittsburgh game and the Nashville player touched the Pittsburgh goalie almost exactly the same as the Canucks player. The goal counts for Nashville but it is taken away for Vancouver??? People keep saying the ref can't review the goal, but the fact that the ref ruled it a goal on the ice initially makes it unclear how he can then change the originally signal on the ice?

So score a goal and all is solved?

Sometimes it looks good, but most of the time they can hardly set up.

They don't need to score every time, but they need to be consistent in getting chances every time.

What do I mean by that? Control the puck in the zone and get shots through. It's as simple as that, it really is.

I get what the Sedins are doing, but cycling the puck for a minute just to get a shot from the blue line isn't going to solve anything.

I agree with Valk. Daniel needs to be the trigger guy too.

Keep Burr in front of the net, put Danny in the slot, keep Vrby where he is, keep Edler where he is, and suddenly Hank has options :shock:

A couple quick passes to move the penalty killers out of position and then tee it up for one of Daniel, Vrbata, or Edler.

Burrows can screen and get the rebounds.

They have to be able to gain the zone before the set up even matters. They can't even attack the zone in a way that looks like one player knows what the other is doing. If there is a PP coach, he should be fired. If it is being left up to the players to figure out, hire a PP coach.

Not only is the PP not scoring timely goals, it is sucking the momentum out of the team.

If Benning wants us to make the playoffs, he can't wait till the deadline to make some moves. We've lost our last 5 games against western teams. If we keep waiting, we'll be out of a playoff position soon.

We can't compete against the teams in playoff positions right now anyways. We've shown it for the last two months.

Outside of acquiring a major piece like a legit top 6 player, I don't see how our odds improve.

"We're just looking for ways to win." - Desjardins on lineup changes with playing Clendening & Kenins

Then sit Sbisa, Higgins, Bonino...

If you want to win sit the issues.

Again, lip service does not win games anymore than simply stepping on the ice does. WD has changed nothing with this core and is only holding rookies accountable.

Not really feeling it, I want more from him. Not more of the same

If Benning wants us to make the playoffs, he can't wait till the deadline to make some moves. We've lost our last 5 games against western teams. If we keep waiting, we'll be out of a playoff position soon.

There in lies the issue.

We've lost our last 5 games to western teams. We've lost multiple games to playoff teams. We are now seeing Minnesota, Winnipeg, Dallas and LA heating up.

Our best bet is not to trade but to ride it out and make it on the backs of what we have and if we know in the next 13 games what we have is NOT going to do it for us, sell. Don't buy

If we cannot win now, adding marginal pieces will not increase our chances only set us back.

We can't compete against the teams in playoff positions right now anyways. We've shown it for the last two months.

Outside of acquiring a major piece like a legit top 6 player, I don't see how our odds improve.

There is not "messiah" for this team. It needs a number of pieces and time to put those pieces together. I just hope Benning sticks to his guns and keeps bringing in the picks and youth. Throwing assets to support this aging and slowing core would be a complete waste of resources and extend the pain of the obvious re-build.

There is not "messiah" for this team. It needs a number of pieces and time to put those pieces together. I just hope Benning sticks to his guns and keeps bringing in the picks and youth. Throwing assets to support this aging and slowing core would be a complete waste of resources and extend the pain of the obvious re-build.

I'm not saying a top 6 player would be a saviour for us. It would improve our chances though.

And I'm hoping Benning isn't holding onto that idea. Because even if our odds are improved slightly, this team is still a long ways away from being a legit contender.

They have to be able to gain the zone before the set up even matters. They can't even attack the zone in a way that looks like one player knows what the other is doing. If there is a PP coach, he should be fired. If it is being left up to the players to figure out, hire a PP coach.

Not only is the PP not scoring timely goals, it is sucking the momentum out of the team.

I'm with ya, but entering the zone isn't usually the issue. Hank and Danny can usually enter and set up.

What we need is timely faceoff wins on the PP (this is where we miss Kesler), and more screened shots on net.

Like I said, Daniel, Vrbata, and Edler should be used equally.

I'm not saying a top 6 player would be a saviour for us. It would improve our chances though.

And I'm hoping Benning isn't holding onto that idea. Because even if our odds are improved slightly, this team is still a long ways away from being a legit contender.

Agreed. I'm enjoying watching to see how the kids do at this stage. Looking forward to more new blood and a changing of the guard.

Benning stated if he trades for a roster player then it has to be a player that will help us now and in the future. I presume he would want a younger player then.

He also stated he isn't trading any top prospects or picks(this year). Also that he would trade prospects for further developed prospects.

another pathetic TEAM effort.

a captain with as much intensity as a dead cat.

and same old story as far as officiating goes, i couldn't even count the times i've seen canucks goaltenders with the same or worse traffic and the goal stands. yet another terrible call against.

Benning stated if he trades for a roster player then it has to be a player that will help us now and in the future. I presume he would want a younger player then.

He also stated he isn't trading any top prospects or picks(this year). Also that he would trade prospects for further developed prospects.

And he has to stick to that. I'm sure he will.

Archived