The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Willie D is making the same mistake Torteralla did.

desiboynux4lifee*******

FAns bailing at a frenzied pace.

Team "not turning in acceptable efforts"

Solution:

Dump the core and start from scratch.

The fans feel cheated by the lame efforts being given....once the fans trust is lost.......ya gotta start fresh.

Look at the players willy has to work with. This is more about the players ability than the coach.

We have too many of the same players. Good teams are about dynamics and balance and the Canucks don't have that. We have slow veterans that don't have that have skill but no jump anymore, third-liners and Bo Horvat. We need more Skill combined with jump. Watch the Sedins... when the puck is close to them they reach for the puck when the puck is close to Bo Horvat, he Skates onto it and wins battles. Thats not a knock on the sedins, its just a fact of life, when players get old the lose that energy, they lose that step.

Players lose that step around 29-30? give or take... how many players do we have that are above 30 and dont have that step/jump? based on the last game...

Hank

Dank

Higgins

Vrbata

Burrows

Then we have thirds liners that may have jump but dont have the skill needed or the effort on some nights...

Hansen

Mathias

Vey

Kennis

Dorset

Richardson (didnt dress but fits the group)

Bonino and kassian fit in this group too but i think with the right group and mix of players they can become legit 2nd line players.

No Balance... its just a mix of the same things! no matter what willie does with lines the pretty much has the same thing.

what I think needs to be done with the team's forward group.

-within the first group... redundant players that dont add to the dynamic need to go. Trade Higgins and Burrows for picks/prospects (i love burrows but he will get us a good return and his best days are behind him.)

-Daniel and Henrik as good as they WERE together are too much of the same thing now on the same line. they used to be dangerous because Daniel used to be a Sniper and play with a different dynamic and frame of mind than Henrik That worked magically. now they are essentially the same player except daniel doesnt take face-offs. They need to be split and placed with players that have that extra step to create room from them and will SHOOT THE PUCK!

-With the Second Group... again eliminate Redundant players make room for the type of players we need.

-Play kassian in meaningful roles and find out what you have then decide to trade him or not

-Insert players you need in your lineup and find out what you have, thinking about Jensen here.

With All that in mind this is what i see the team as:

Jensen-H.Sedin-Vrbata

D.Sedin-Bonino-______

_____-Matthias/Richardson-Vey

Kennis/Hansen-Horvat-Dorsett

players out - Higgins, burrows, Hansen, Richardson/Matthias, possibly Kassian if they are going to move them Three or four redundant players gone from the roster to make room for what we need in the line-up

First line - this could work, Vrbata (along with Horvat, has been one of the only players that has played with any kind of consistency) could mentor Jensen and make him aware of how to find the good shooting lanes while jensen brings size and speed and that "step" that is lost in older players. We need to find out what Jensen is. if Jensen doesnt at least float we know what we need to try and acquire and we will know where jensen should play.

Second line - size with bonino, brains with daniel this line will need a younger player with that aggressive step that can shoot the puck. maybe this is why Canuck fans are so obsessed with idea of landing Kane? If virtanen were ready this is his Ideal role. If Bonino doesnt work with daniel and a scoring winger i dont know if he can ever be a solid 2nd line center. make him a third line center ship out matthias and/or richardson or let them walk and we know thats another hole we need to fix.

So through the first two lines we have a good balance and each line would have a legit Scoring threat and enough dynamic to keep the defenders on their toes.

Third Line - Weve got plenty of these guys... take your pick and plug them in. I would choose Matthias over richardson because of age and i like what ive seen in matthias in the last while... I do like Vey and his potential we should work with him. for the open wing i would like to find someone with a little more speed than Vey or if Kassian decides he wants to put in the effort needed insert him there instead of trading him... or until you trade him.

Fourth Line - Horvat and Dorsett have been our best players this year. if Kennis keeps up his good fourth line play keep him up and let him run with it. if not, send him back and keep hansen around. Hansen can get us a pick or possibly even a prospect from a situation like clendening's in Chicago.

Just my thoughts on Canuck land...

What happened to all the team building exercises that were happening at the beginning of the season? I thought they were a good idea

they were great at getting the guys to work together, but did little for developing a level of caring amongst themselves..initiating steps to a brotherhood that it takes for one to go through a wall for the other guy.

It blows me away at how many people didn't listen to management last summer and what their plan was. They also acknowledged the problems that people are now panicking about. LTCs. It's a huge problem that limits JB. He can ask players to wave them but they need to comply before JB can do anything. No matter what ,any previous management group leaves behind things a new GM must work with.

The group at present is marginally hanging in there possibly making the play offs. A sell off would have been a bottom 6 sell off nothing more

No im not, guys I have mentioned above are the problem. The defence get the puck through on the pp? Tell me what do the guys infront do? Lose puck battles and the pucks gone. Also, how many goals has the 2nd unit scored?

You often wonder if they practice their power play. Same old look, Sedins on the right side, their entry into the offensive zone is terrible, Very few shots. This moving the puck around for the whole PP and taking one shot is ridulous. Is it any wonder Henrik and Daniel are down in goals. Whatever coach is responsible for the PP needs to reassess his system desperately. Shoot the bloody puck already and quit trying to make each PP goal hit the highlight spot on the late sports channel.

Fans are getting desparate coach, how about trying something different from the system you have been using since you got here from Anaheim. Thinking back, our PP started to get worse the day you got here.

Pretty sad when one is so frustrated he can't remember the guys name. An insignificant PP will do that to a fellow.

PS: looked up the guys name - Glen Gulutsan. Come on Glen, get with it for us fans.

Whatever coach is responsible for the PP needs to reassess his system desperately. Shoot the bloody puck already and quit trying to make each PP goal hit the highlight spot on the late sports channel.

Fans are getting desparate coach, how about trying something different from the system you have been using since you got here from Anaheim. Thinking back, our PP started to get worse the day you got here.

Pretty sad when one is so frustrated he can't remember the guys name. An insignificant PP will do that to a fellow.

PS: looked up the guys name - Glen Gulutsan. Come on Glen, get with it for us fans.

I'm pretty sure Gulutzan is responsible for the PK this year.

PhilipBlundt;

Could not agree more.

Years ago I said to another Canuck fan that I would love one of the Twins to go out and run a player. That said the last time it happened was in the Chicago game when Dan took a guy out in the corner. Next shift Duncan Keith forearms Daniel. Canuck reaction was negligible. Twins cannot adjust their game enough to consistently shot on net or drive the net.

Yeah, that was bad....and I think it;s had a long term effect on this team.

There are times to go 70's 80's on another team and that was it.

There shouldn't have been enough Canucks left on the bench to finish the game.

Yeah, that was bad....and I think it;s had a long term effect on this team.

There are times to go 70's 80's on another team and that was it.

There shouldn't have been enough Canucks left on the bench to finish the game.

When Willie Mitchell TKO'd Toews, Chicago didn't have much of a response either.

Or when Torres murdered Seabrook.

If someone took out Datsyuk, there would be little to no response.

It's called the Make up of a team.

Archived