The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Willie D is making the same mistake Torteralla did.

desiboynux4lifee*******

Can you honestly tell me that pretty much any prospect we have would be worse defensively than the Sedins are? All those hooking and holding penalties are for a reason. If we have any prospect who can actually generate a ???? scoring chance they should be given a big opportunity the last half of this season. Because honestly for all the talk about how great all our players have to be defensively in order to get a shot it is all BS. Because most of our team is very inconsistent defensively as it is. That excuse is just lip service to justify hanging onto a stale and fragile core.

There is no reason to hang onto the core except for the reason we have no choice. We can't trade the Sedins and until our prospects are ready which they aren't the Sedins will be here.

Even if they are putting up lower numbers we don't have any better option.

Our prospects can barely score in the AHL so maybe just maybe they aren't ready yet.

Even though Horvat looks ready remember he's playing against 4th liners and he's still a minus player as is Kassian.

Horvat was minus 3 before these two games and he's playing 4th liners. Not a knock on him (that will change maybe it already is) but right now that's where we stand.

That's the main issue our offensively gifted ones aren't ready defensively and vice versa but that will change in time. How long it takes depends on how long they learn. They have three years.

Split up the Sedins for sure! Daniel is more of a passer now anyways. This is the way I'd like to see our healthy lineup:

Burrows H. Sedin Vrbata

D. Sedin Bonino Kassian

Higgins Richardson Hansen

Matthias Horvat Dorsett

Vey

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Clendening

Corrado Bieska

Sbisa Weber

Miller

Lack

With Sedins split up the lines will be more offensively even.

Kassian deserves a chance in the top six, as others have mentioned, he has skill to play with the Sedins and he can protect them if need be. Right now he is miscast as a bottom six crasher and banger.

C'mon Willie.... What have you got to lose.

The current lineup is not making the playoffs!!!!!

omg..... shut the hell up. This team is not a contender for the cup and is considered a bubble team. So, stop putting such high hopes on this team. This team is suppose to trend downwards and anyone expecting anything else is in their own fantasy land. Just be happy that this team is in the hunt for a playoff spot

So if we finish in 9th or 10th and just miss the playoffs we should still be happy? How about if we just squeak into the playoffs and are gone in 7 games or less? Still happy? No, this team is disappointing any way you look at it. They aren't that good at winning and they wont seem to lose enough for it to be beneficial.

Personally it wouldn't bother me if Benning ripped this stale core apart, and that includes the Sedins (although this is virtually impossible). Start over from scratch with the young guys who are still hungry and throw in a few veterans via trade or free agency to show them the way.

Not sure I agree but I understand where you're coming from. Problem is if WD benches core players, a lot of people could turn on him.

He is the coach of the team, he is there boss. Willie has to make the tough decisions. I believe that if you work hard and produce points day in and day out you deserve more ice time plain and simple. It doesn't help motivate guys when guys like horvat are working there buts off and still getting 4th line ice time. I don't care if he is only nineteen, I'm nineteen lol, you should be rewarded with effort not seniority.

Can you honestly tell me that pretty much any prospect we have would be worse defensively than the Sedins are? All those hooking and holding penalties are for a reason. If we have any prospect who can actually generate a ???? scoring chance they should be given a big opportunity the last half of this season. Because honestly for all the talk about how great all our players have to be defensively in order to get a shot it is all BS. Because most of our team is very inconsistent defensively as it is. That excuse is just lip service to justify hanging onto a stale and fragile core.

The combined 10 minor penalties between Henrik and Daniel this season suggests that "All those hooking and holding penalties" is a figment of your imagination.

IMO, the problem with the Canucks is that they don't have the players to run and gun, and play the pressure game that Linden/Benning/Desjardins were touting over the past summer and into this season. As the play has tightened down since the beginning of January, we're seeing the Canucks for what they are -- an aging, mediocre team that is going to have to battle until the final week of the regular season to make the playoffs (no offense to the guy who keeps banging the "we're elite" drum").

At this point in time, not enough of the "youth" are ready and all of the 30-somethings have run out of gas. The games that we're watching are boring for a reason...we don't have any thoroughbreds in the race right now.

I hope JB hasn't developed any emotional likeness for any of the players over the past 8 months.

The core is as culpable for the woeful powerplay as anyone else. Please live in reality.

The core PP unit does not have a PP QB running it.

Edler is our top man on the PP and he is not an elite QB and should be manning the second unit.

Run the offensive contribution numbers from the D in 2010-12 and tell me what they are now.

That is the live reality.

Jimbo has to trade for an elite QB and jettison Tanev's contract.

Hammer and KB ain't leaving with their NTC'S and both are defensive d men,anyways.

Higgins and Burrows should be traded, they're not second liners anymore.

They are checking line players putting in tough minutes. Higgins at 2.5 is a deal. Plus they are good veterans for the young guys to lern from. This is why the Oilers and Avs suck so much. They don't have players like Higgins, Burrows and Hansen.

Higgins never was a 2nd liner.

For what ever reason, Willie D seems to think he is.

Higgins has been a permanent lock on the 2nd line....without any resistance.

Every year it's the same thing.

We have 3 to 4 top 6 forwards.

He was a soild 1st liner in MTL. He is having the kind of year Burrows had last year. Should we have bought out Burrows last year ?

If we are to evaluate the line-up properly, the twins needs to be split up and see which one can play effective hockey with just one Sedin on the ice with other forward and trade one of them or both if we are to have some decent return. Benning knows that they are not the same caliber from 2011 but I think he is giving them one last chance this season and in the start of the next season, the power play needs to have a different look, splitting up the twins would be a start to evaluate which player can play with Henrik. If Daniel remains ineffectively without his brother, I would advocate Daniel to be traded in next remaining years in their contract to get some returns. How long must we see them play the ineffective Sedinery magic for so long? I would rather them to use the Sedinery chemistry to create goals rather than the possession hockey without scoring chances. I am starting to think that the game has passed them by already.

The reason why I use Henrik because he has proven that he can play hockey without his brother in the past but Daniel has also proved that he cannot play hockey without his brother so hence I think that Daniel should be traded as soon as the next season to get some returns to replenish the roster. I believe that Henrik is still an effective playmaker for the team. I feel that Daniel is different player than was 3 years ago but Henrik is playing better than Daniel.

The only thing disappointing is that, starting 3 years prior, management (yes from the owners down) let the following happen: poor drafting, bad contracts and stubbornness to hang on to what got us in the Finals.

Did Gillis draft really anyone in the first round, other than Horvat, that looks to be a difference maker? Did his predecessor in the few years before that? Poor drafting left us with no depth on the farm and/or to develop. I don't see Hodgson anymore, I don't see Schroeder anymore, and Kassian (so far) has shown not enough to warrant NOT being called a bust. Until Horvat, the last good players drafted in the first were Kesler and Schneider. So we're just now beginning to rebuild some depth.

Bad contracts; this is quite debatable, but I see the NTCs handed out as handcuffing us in most attempts at an honest trade. Burrows-love what he's done, but looks like his time is closing, Higgins-same but a little further on. Kesler-hung us to dry, we got what we could but without the NTC could have been a whole lot more. Luongo-well, someone in Kitimat may not know the details, but otherwise...

Hanging on; along with the NTCs, it doesn't seem, from the outside looking in, that there has been a whole lot of effort to upgrade the core. The twins, never fast to start with, are slowing down, and are now marginal 1st line players; Bieksa had been doing not so well until the injury. Hansen; I like his play, but I will admit he coasts once in a while, and at other times thinks he is a top 6 player and promptly finds out he isn't, usually through a turnover. Edler and Hamhuis catch a break on this, both are playing well.

Willie D. can only do so much with the hand he's been given. You try to win every game, that's called being a professional. Yeah, sure, everyone will coast from time to time, even the best. I've seen players like Gretsky, Lemieux, Trottier, Scott Stevens and Lidstrom have shifts when they looked lost. A coach's job is to get the best effort out of his players, and maximize the club's chances at winning. Do you think that Willie could do a better job of winning if the line up looked like:

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

Matthias - Bonino - Jensen

Gaunce - Horvat - Hansen

Kenins - Richardson - Dorsett

Tort's mistake was grinding down the top players, and not giving anyone else a chance. Willie is trying to win, but even at that, the twins are not playing 24 minutes every game, we are rolling some lines through. Yeah, Torts was right, the core has gone somewhat stale. I think we all acknowledge that. But neither Torts or Willie can do anything more than coach the players they have. Its above their pay grade to fix what is really wrong.

Got a funny idea- the FANS - Every time Se-dins touch the puck lets Boo them - the amount of pain they gave us lets give them a moment to never forget- MAYBE this will send a MEssage-- to stop the blocking when trying to score and score naturally...

Note: Sedins have the puck- they will continue to suck - Everytime they hit a truck - Canucks will never win the Cup :)

I don't get the OP running to Torts last presser everytime the team goes through adversity..The team is in the hunt for a playoff spot...The other alternative would have been to get rid of the core players before the season and go the Rebuild route..Once you get into the young player losing environment,it's pretty tough to pull yourself out of it.

They are checking line players putting in tough minutes. Higgins at 2.5 is a deal. Plus they are good veterans for the young guys to lern from. This is why the Oilers and Avs suck so much. They don't have players like Higgins, Burrows and Hansen.

The Canucks have had one of the best PK's in the league for five years.

Higgins,Burrows and Hansen are all core PK players that were doing this job when our PP/offense was also the best in the league.

No PP quarterback = no PP.

If we are to evaluate the line-up properly, the twins needs to be split up and see which one can play effective hockey with just one Sedin on the ice with other forward and trade one of them or both if we are to have some decent return. Benning knows that they are not the same caliber from 2011 but I think he is giving them one last chance this season and in the start of the next season, the power play needs to have a different look, splitting up the twins would be a start to evaluate which player can play with Henrik. If Daniel remains ineffectively without his brother, I would advocate Daniel to be traded in next remaining years in their contract to get some returns. How long must we see them play the ineffective Sedinery magic for so long? I would rather them to use the Sedinery chemistry to create goals rather than the possession hockey without scoring chances. I am starting to think that the game has passed them by already.

The reason why I use Henrik because he has proven that he can play hockey without his brother in the past but Daniel has also proved that he cannot play hockey without his brother so hence I think that Daniel should be traded as soon as the next season to get some returns to replenish the roster. I believe that Henrik is still an effective playmaker for the team. I feel that Daniel is different player than was 3 years ago but Henrik is playing better than Daniel.

So why are you advocating a complete Oilers style tear down when it has shown to be a bad strategy ?

Look at the Flames. They signed big contracts to Wiedman and Hudler while everyone was saying they should gut the team. They are way ahead of the Oilers now.

The Sedins are going nowhere nor should they. Teams need veterans to teach the young guys how to play properly. The owner is willing to spend to the cap so having the Sedins helps way more then it hurts.

Flames model- Let the picks come to you

Oilers model- Go looking for picks

Got a funny idea- the FANS - Every time Se-dins touch the puck lets Boo them - the amount of pain they gave us lets give them a moment to never forget- MAYBE this will send a MEssage-- to stop the blocking when trying to score and score naturally...

Note: Sedins have the puck - Canucks will never win the Cup :)

Yeah 100 point Art Ross winners and back to back Presidents. They hurt a lot.

The owner is willing to spend to the cap so how the hell are you going to use the cap space without the Sedins ?

How do we get to the floor without the Sedins ?

Sign Dave Bolland and Ryan Clowe ? That should be good for team moral. That has winning culture written all over it.

Archived