The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Willie D is making the same mistake Torteralla did.

desiboynux4lifee*******

Yeah, Torts was right, the core has gone somewhat stale.
But neither Torts or Willie can do anything more than coach the players they have. Its above their pay grade to fix what is really wrong.

That's why Torts said it. He was blaming Gillis on his way out.

That's the kind of guy John is - and why he is unemployed.

The only thing disappointing is that, starting 3 years prior, management (yes from the owners down) let the following happen: poor drafting, bad contracts and stubbornness to hang on to what got us in the Finals.

Did Gillis draft really anyone in the first round, other than Horvat, that looks to be a difference maker? Did his predecessor in the few years before that? Poor drafting left us with no depth on the farm and/or to develop. I don't see Hodgson anymore, I don't see Schroeder anymore, and Kassian (so far) has shown not enough to warrant NOT being called a bust. Until Horvat, the last good players drafted in the first were Kesler and Schneider. So we're just now beginning to rebuild some depth.

Bad contracts; this is quite debatable, but I see the NTCs handed out as handcuffing us in most attempts at an honest trade. Burrows-love what he's done, but looks like his time is closing, Higgins-same but a little further on. Kesler-hung us to dry, we got what we could but without the NTC could have been a whole lot more. Luongo-well, someone in Kitimat may not know the details, but otherwise...

Hanging on; along with the NTCs, it doesn't seem, from the outside looking in, that there has been a whole lot of effort to upgrade the core. The twins, never fast to start with, are slowing down, and are now marginal 1st line players; Bieksa had been doing not so well until the injury. Hansen; I like his play, but I will admit he coasts once in a while, and at other times thinks he is a top 6 player and promptly finds out he isn't, usually through a turnover. Edler and Hamhuis catch a break on this, both are playing well.

Willie D. can only do so much with the hand he's been given. You try to win every game, that's called being a professional. Yeah, sure, everyone will coast from time to time, even the best. I've seen players like Gretsky, Lemieux, Trottier, Scott Stevens and Lidstrom have shifts when they looked lost. A coach's job is to get the best effort out of his players, and maximize the club's chances at winning. Do you think that Willie could do a better job of winning if the line up looked like:

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

Matthias - Bonino - Jensen

Gaunce - Horvat - Hansen

Kenins - Richardson - Dorsett

Tort's mistake was grinding down the top players, and not giving anyone else a chance. Willie is trying to win, but even at that, the twins are not playing 24 minutes every game, we are rolling some lines through. Yeah, Torts was right, the core has gone somewhat stale. I think we all acknowledge that. But neither Torts or Willie can do anything more than coach the players they have. Its above their pay grade to fix what is really wrong.

show me one bad contract on this team....

The Sedins got around what Datsyuk/Zetterberg got and what Marleau/Thornton got so thats market prices.

And where would you spend the 14 million in cap space without the Sedins ? Where would you have put that money in the last free agency ?

The Canucks have had one of the best PK's in the league for five years.

Higgins,Burrows and Hansen are all core PK players that were doing this job when our PP/offense was also the best in the league.

No PP quarterback = no PP.

Henrik Sedin is the quarterback and has always been though.

Ehrhoff and Salo were the QB's.

QB's don't play up the middle.

Henrik usually controls the play from the right boards. Oh, you mean we miss a big shot from the point and a speedy pmd. Yes, we've needed those for awhile. At least with Garrison we had a big shot from the point, but he didn't look as good without the speedy pmd Florida also had. But Henrik's always been the key to our power play before, combined with a Daniel that was a sniper. We need that Daniel back too.

"Perhaps the problem is with the players".

/End thread.

Thank you. Finally. For all the crap that Torts got shoveled - Torts was never the problem. This team is still tied with Torts from last season.

They need 82 points to tie or beat Torts. We'll see if they get there or not.

As for the OP, I'm not sure why it's taking this long to figure out that it wasn't Torts' fault. He might have overplayed the Sedins a bit at season start, but he also didn't have much of a choice. Was it his fault that they and so many others went down to injury? Not really. We have WD now and he's been fine, but I'm not sure if Torts would have done any worse or better. It is interesting to see which players react well to different coaches though.

We should probably just stick with a coach for awhile now.

the problem is the roster

they dont have it anymore

sedins - too old now

bonino - below average 2C

2 3rd lines

1 4th line

minimal scoring from the defence

below average goaltending

aside from the 1st line, we just have 9 3rd liners and the goaltending has been worse this year. Luongo offers a much higher standard of play.

Henrik usually controls the play from the right boards. Oh, you mean we miss a big shot from the point and a speedy pmd. Yes, we've needed those for awhile. At least with Garrison we had a big shot from the point, but he didn't look as good without the speedy pmd Florida also had.

Never played D,huh?.

Good thing Benning and Lidster know a Garrison from a Doughty.

Clendening might be able to run the second unit in time.

"There was no way to tell what was going to happen with the Sedins."

Exactly. TY. Gillis did exactly what anyone would have done in the same spot and locked down the Sedins. I don't blame Gillis. I blame the Sedins for costing him his job.

The Sedins did not cost anyone their job. They got paid what they are worth and nothing more.

What would you have done with 14 million in cap space if we waived the Sedins last off season ?

Bolland ? Clarkson ?

How would we get to the cap floor without the Sedins ?

Henrik -9 goals

Daniel-10 goals

Radim-19 goals

Burr- 10 goals

Kesler (core) is gone. If you add in his replacement (Bonino) this list the top goalscorers on this club.

They are also leading forwards in age and 'core'.

The core is not the problem.

Secondary scoring,PP and offense from the defense are the scoring problems.

So,like Tortorella,you are blowing smoke.

Torts said the core had to change. Most would agree Vrbata and Miller would be considerable change. Those are core positional players. This has been borne out.

As for the Sedins, they have 19 goals.........as in combined. They are now on pace for 69 points and falling. Yes, that is a problem. Nobody is winning a playoff round with 70 point all or nothing scoring forwards.

WD is using his fourth line more but its a token effort. Sedins still carry the team and are over worked except now they are 34 and can handle it even less than at 33.

And they will handle it even less at 35.

In my opinion the team is the same as it was last year with 2 noticeable upgrades and one noticeable downgrade. I told you guys not to get strung out over wins and losses this year. There will be plenty of both.

I'm assuming this thread was made because Kassian was benched today..

Kind of what I was thinking as well, the op is one of about 3 adamant Kass supporters let's and is now at the point that it must be the last 4 coaches fault and not kass's that he can't play in the NHL.

Never played D,huh?.

Good thing Benning and Lidster know a Garrison from a Doughty.

Clendening might be able to run the second unit in time.

Garrison can rifle a puck, brah. We're missing that on the powerplay, as predicted.

By the time that little problem is fixed, the Sedins will be done, so it's quite moot. huh?

Archived