The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Jonas Enroth to Dallas

I think its a good move by Buffalo, Moves a goalie who is a UFA and they weren't re-signing for a big goalie who can possibly turn his career around and a draft pick in a good draft year

They are trying to tank so there is no sense keeping players around that they have no use for, might as move for picks now

They did change the lottery, and it changes again next year too.

Besides, Buffalo isn't tanking with their hopes set on winning the lottery, they'd be tanking knowing that they are guaranteed Eichel at the very least.

Changes would involve being able to slide down farther in the picks.

Eg. Any non-playoff teams has a chance at #1, any non-playoff team has a chance at picking #14

That would actually be perfect. Buffalo gets a kings ransom for McDavid, and win the cup a few years later and become a true powerhouse for a decade while McDavid retires early due to injuries and never reached his potential due to those injuries. :bigblush:

That's how it worked for Quebec/Colorado. Lindros never saw a cup, and the Avalanche went on to win one with the pieces they got from that trade.

Who Lindback? He started 4 playoff games. He just never won one lol

No Enroth. He's only appeared in one playoff game, when he replaced Ryan Miller while the Sabres were getting blown out of game 7 vs the Flyers in 2011. I just referred to him as a rental with his UFA status.

Lack for a third would be nice

I do not get this logic?

A 2knd rounder statistically has almost exactly a 20% track record as achieving an NHL career. 3rd rounders closer to 10 or 15%, cannot recall the exact figures. In any case, the odd's ain't great! So in a ''deep'' draft the reality is the 15% that ''make it'' might be of a little higher or caliber or maybe more than 15% play 100 or so games?

At the end of the day Lack is a legit NHL on our roster right now. I'd personally prefer to get something more tangible. 3rd round draft picks should be the desert that closes a deal. Not the meat and potatoes!

No, that's not how it works

Maybe so. But, see above, I would greatly prefer to parlay Lack into something a lot more NHL ready.

I don't get so many peoples fixation on draft pics just because its a strong year. The odd's stack against you. Until you become like Chicago and routinely start pulling the winners out of the crowd. I'd be surprised in fact, if Chicago does not already pretty much know who they are going to get when they acquire a draft pick. Then its more tangible as well. Really scouting and drafting is about that more than just accumulating picks.

I do not get this logic?

A 2knd rounder statistically has almost exactly a 20% track record as achieving an NHL career. 3rd rounders closer to 10 or 15%, cannot recall the exact figures. In any case, the odd's ain't great! So in a ''deep'' draft the reality is the 15% that ''make it'' might be of a little higher or caliber or maybe more than 15% play 100 or so games?

At the end of the day Lack is a legit NHL on our roster right now. I'd personally prefer to get something more tangible. 3rd round draft picks should be the desert that closes a deal. Not the meat and potatoes!

Maybe so. But, see above, I would greatly prefer to parlay Lack into something a lot more NHL ready.

I don't get so many peoples fixation on draft pics just because its a strong year. The odd's stack against you. Until you become like Chicago and routinely start pulling the winners out of the crowd. I'd be surprised in fact, if Chicago does not already pretty much know who they are going to get when they acquire a draft pick. Then its more tangible as well. Really scouting and drafting is about that more than just accumulating picks.

You're missing a pretty big point. Chicago doesn't magically nail all their picks. In fact, their success rate isn't all that different from anyone else. However, they have managed to unearth some late round talent...how? By accumulating additional picks (almost like buying additional lottery tickets).

In 2011, they had 11 picks in total, including 4 in the top-43. The first two picks, in the first round, look questionable to ever be top-6 players. But then in the 2nd round they got Clendening at #36 (decent), and then Saad at #43 (excellent). If they knew Saad would be so good, they wouldn't have waited until #43 to take him. They also managed to get Shaw in the 5th round.

If you look back further, it seems most of Chicago's late round steals were of direct results of having additional picks:

- In 2005 they found Hjalmarsson in the 4th round, but they had 12 picks total. The other 11 were busts.

- In 2004 they found Bickell and Bolland in the 2nd round, and then Brouwer in the 7th. But they had 17 picks in 9 rounds, including 4 2nd rounders!

Chicago has managed to stay competitive in a cap world by identifying their key players, building around them, and then shedding any secondary or complimentary pieces that become too expensive. And in most cases, they trade guys away rather than wait for them to walk as free agents.

If Canucks management doesn't think Lack is the future of this team, and wants to roll with Miller and Markstrom next year, they should trade Eddie to the highest bidder. Hopefully he gets a 2nd rounder back, but goalies usually don't carry much trade value. If he can't get more than a 3rd, we should still take the extra shot at landing hidden talent.

I'm not fixated on a draft pick - I'm just realistic.

Rarely is a goaltender trade consummated without another goaltender coming back the other way, or a draft pick - check any goaltender transaction that occurred in the last couple years. It seems that teams address goaltending needs separate from the rest of their rosters.

Can there be a trade where we get a non-goaltender roster player for Lack? Yeah - anything is possible.

But it's rare.

Archived