The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning's going to have to make Some Tough Decisions this Summer

Gstank29

There are 3 UFA (Dorsett, Matthius & Richardson) the rest are RFA so they're limited in what they can do. I suppose the question is where does management see the team in their progression does the team need more stripping down and replacing with youngsters or are we close enough to challenge for a top 5 place. Dorsett by the way might be questionable, his wife is from Columbus and the thinking is he may well return to the Blue Jackets

Dorsett, Matthius & Richardson I can only see us resigning Dorsett less he is in a trade for something near deadline, other two traded at dealine.

I have said this before but I think

Burrows,Bieksa and Higgins will be asked what team they want to goto at the deadline,if none in the summer they will be asked again and this time told if they don't pick 5 teams then they will be in the minors or boughtout if we can still buyout a player!That will free up cap room for us so we can resign the RFA's and get what this team needs!

According to Capgeek

:rolleyes:

CapGeek.com ceases operations due to owner’s health crisis
Wyshynski70-jpg_202212.jpg
By Greg WyshynskiJanuary 3, 2015 9:49 PMPuck Daddy

Over the last 15 years, there have been some monumental shifts in the way hockey is covered by the media and followed by fans. YouTube gave us unlimited video from around the world. Blogs changed the way the game was reported on and analyzed. Twitter became the go-to source for breaking news.

Matthew Wuest’s Cap Geek deserves its place among those redefining innovations; and that’s something that will be underscored now that it's gone.

Hockey’s preeminent site for player contract details, team salary cap figures, free-agent statuses and fact-checking trade scenarios went offline on Saturday night, with this message:

Effective immediately, Jan. 3, 2015, CapGeek.com has permanently ceased operations. This sudden decision is made with a heavy heart and is due to the personal health of CapGeek.com founder and director Matthew Wuest. While this decision may raise many questions, it is requested that you respect Matthew's privacy and wish for no media or purchase inquiries. Thank you for your co-operation and understanding at this difficult time.

Wuest founded the site in 2009, after compiling an NHL salary database and creating a “cap calculator” for RedWingsCentral.com. It was an instant hit, whether you were checking your team’s cap space for the trade deadline or figuring out what the buyout cost was for your least favorite player.

Where did the info come from? Wuest, who was a freelance hockey writer with gigs at Metro Halifax and The Hockey News, kept it tight to the vest, but told Puck Daddy in 2009 that they included media reports, confirmation through official channels and Wuest's own informants.

"The biggest thing is making sure you have good sources who can provide the most accurate data," Wuest said.

Over time, Cap Geek became the only site tracking salary info. NHLSCAP.com ceased operation and endorsed Wuest. NHL Numbers joined The Nation Network and became an analytics site.

It was also hugely influential – with salary information being share by mainstream writers, ferreted out by Wuest and collected in one massive site, NHL teams like the Carolina Hurricanes began reporting their own contract numbers.

[Read our 2009 interview with Wuest about Cap Geek here.]

I loved Cap Geek. Not just as a source of invaluable information, instantly creating an army of insiders every time a transaction was made – and, frustratingly, not always cited as the source of that information – but because it tore down the wall between fans and teams when it came to the salary cap.

And when you think how every single decision a team makes is tied to that cap, to have that information readily available from Cap Geek meant adding several levels of insight to every debate.

The salary cap helped kill the message board trade proposal; Cap Geek was the check-and-balance that buried it.

But for Wuest, Cap Geek existed to shed light on the real stars off the ice in his eyes: The owners and general managers who kept their house in order while thriving on the ice

"I think it's important for there to be a level playing field between the teams. I think that's where you really get to see who is a good general manager and who isn't," he said. "If there's some limit, you get some real gauge of who manages a team and who's just buying a team."

Our prayers go out to Matthew during whatever it is he’s going through. Many sites claim to be mandatory reading for hockey fans; his was perhaps the only one that could rightfully do so.

Here’s Matthew Wuest’s “Guilty Pleasures” post for us in 2011.

Higgins, Matthias, Hansen, Dorsett, Richardson. Some of those players will be gone. Hopefully we can get draft picks for them instead of losing them for nothing.

pimp id wanna keep mattias and dorsett rest can be dealt frees 6.2 mill in cap space excluding one of the three goalies that will be gone

hilarious how you call a guy 'pimpp' and then go on to discuss hockey with him. :lol::lol:

hilarious that you think a guy is calling someone "pimp" when it is actually his username

Please...Tanev is going nowhere unless it is a steal.

I disagree. I think it is altogether possible he gets moved, even likely. He is only good if he is on a value contract. If his camp demands $5 million per year (history indicates they want to play hardball and cash in), then he is as good as gone.

Your being sarcastic right? Unless someone overpays and we are getting a first rounder for him I'd rather keep him for leadership.

No. There is a very distinct possibility that more vets will ask to be traded during the rebuilding phase we are in.

The Sedins are the team leaders and they aren't going anywhere, so I don't picture them leaving. Burrows, however, was already asked twice.

Here are my list of players that I don't mind losing:

-Richardson will most likely sign elsewhere.

-Higgins is not good enough second liner; but he is a good third liner.

-Stanton: don't really see any upside on him (I know a lot of people disagree with me on this one)

Players that I think will be coming in:

-Kenins should be ready to make the team based on what we are seeing from him this season.

-Jensen: sort of make or break year for him to establish a spot on the team, otherwise, he will get passed over by younger players coming up like Virtanen in a couple of years.

-Clendening: ready to take over the full time position.

Undecided:

-Matthias: a good third liner but not a 2nd liner.

-Bieksa: no longer top 4 but paid like one, but brings intangibles that we need to win in the playoffs.

-Weber: offensive upside but defensively can only be used relied upon as a 6th or 7th defenceman; not physical enough to handle himself against most of the Western conference opponents

-Corrado: almost ready to make the jump.

-Gaunce/Virtanen/other forward prospects: most likely won't make the jump to the NHL just yet

UFA target:

-Beleskey: Can play 2nd LW or 3rd LW. Chippy, physical, and can score.

-Green: We need a pure offensive defenceman that can move the puck up. Can be paired up with Hamhuis.

Forwards

------------

I am going to assume that Guance or any other prospects like Virtanen and Cassels does not make the team next season. I would lean towards signing a quality LW forward like Matt Beleskey, whom I would assume to be an upgrade over Matthias but if we cannot sign him, then I would lean towards signing Matthias.

Center: H. Sedin, Bonino, Vey, Horvat

LW: D. Sedin, Kenins, Beleskey

RW: Burrows, Vrbata, Kassian, Hansen, Dorsett, Jensen

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Jensen-Bonino-Vrbata

Beleskey-Vey-Kassian

Hansen-Horvat-Dorsett

Kenins

I think this forward lines will be good enough for top 10-15 in goal scoring in the league.

Defence

----------

If the cap space allows, we should try to sign or trade for an offensively talented defenceman or even a top shutdown defender to pair up with Hamhuis. We could go for Green, Boychuk, or even trade for Seabrook (although there is hefty price to be paid so it most likely won't happen). To be honest, I don't think any one of these three guys will sign with us, so we will end up keeping Bieksa with Hamhuis and Corrado or Clandening with Sbisa.

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Sbisa-Clandening/Corrado

Weber

If we do manage to sign one of these players, then that basically means we would have to unload Bieksa. For example, if we sign Green, whom I think is the most likely among the three that I mentioned,

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Green

Sbisa-Clandening/Corrado

Weber

Goalies

---------

I would want a veteran like Miller around, so I would naturally look towards trading Markstrom. Lack is more proven than Markstrom at this point so I'd keep him, even though Markstrom seems to have higher potential but those potentials are not yet realized.

Miller

Lack

Full team

-----------

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Jensen-Bonino-Vrbata

Beleskey/Matthias-Vey-Kassian

Dorsett-Horvat-Hansen

Kenins

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Green/Bieksa

Sbisa-Corrado

Weber

I know, not much change nor upgrade but bringing prospects slowly up to the team is the main goal at this point. The new guys getting the full time job will be Jensen, Kenins, Corrado. The new signing could be Belesky and Green. In two years, Virtanen would take over Vrbata's job. And Burrows salary comes off the book.

Burr is one of the Canucks I would like to see stay here.

He signed a four year deal for $2m per year when he was a major contributor here.

He never demanded to renegotiate the contract. You never heard a word. He was humble and grateful.

His salary was $1.1 million in 2012 , a year in which he scored 28 goals and 52 points.

Small ego,large work ethic. dedication and perseverance.

Burr was a very large reason the team had such success in the Gillis era.

Benning can ask all he wants,if I am Burr I ain't leaving if I want to stay.

Burr is one of the Canucks I would like to see stay here.

He signed a four year deal for $2m per year when he was a major contributor here.

He never demanded to renegotiate the contract. You never heard a word. He was humble and grateful.

His salary was $1.1 million in 2012 , a year in which he scored 28 goals and 52 points.

Small ego,large work ethic. dedication and perseverance.

Burr was a very large reason the team had such success in the Gillis era.

Benning can ask all he wants,if I am Burr I ain't leaving if I want to stay.

Thats because by his own words he was a plug and was just grateful to play with the sedins.

Archived